UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football practice opens Monday

Man I'm excited. I can't believe how fast the off-season went. It helps that we played a bowl game in December.

These kids are the "Road Dawgs" this year. Lets just hope the new strength coach got them conditioned well enough to fight through what is likely the toughest opening five weeks in the entirety of FCS football.

I'll be happy to beat Hofstra, keep it within 1 or 2 TD's at UNH and stay within 3 TD's against UMass and Delaware.

Anything greater than that would be great.

I do think this is they year we bust up Hofstra!

First year season ticket holder. Just trying secure my place in the pecking order when we get the new football stadium built. I want seats on the 50 yard line so I figured now would be a good time to jump on board as far as season tickets go.

Also excited to see football season come around. Undoubtedly in my book it's basketball first, football second as I have allot to learn about FCS football, but I'm excited nonetheless.

has John Allen left UA? he is no longer listed as a coach. did he get a new job?

I was going to say I am interested to see how the offense looks under McCarthy, and how Allen works the receivers since Ford says he wanted to improve the passing game. Any info on Allen I would appreciate.

I think we'll see a different passing attack under McCarthy. I doubt the running game changes much seeing as how its always been successful.

The question mark on offense has always been the passing game. We go from having an offensive line coach at OC to having a former passing QB and WR coach at OC. We also have a solid returning QB.

From what i hear there was some good competition in the spring from the backups, but Espisito is the starter and they will not platoon. (Thank god, because platooning is very tough for a QB to get rhythm.)

Ford on Sinkoff's radio show today. We're starting a month earlier than 40 years ago, but Fordie needs his football fix already. He can't wait to get started.

We're squeezed for practice fields and meeting space while the Giants are here, but they're good publicity.

We've got 32 freshmen and 58 upperclassmen, from all over the country, that we've got to meld into a team. McCarty and Schultz voted captains on O. Vinny had a good year but QB position will still be competitive.

Tony and Andy Sparano's father is head coach at Miami; RB coach Jamie Casullo's father is tight end coach at Tampa.

Chance at the playoffs is a carrot for both the coaching staff and the players.

Good to hear.

Also great to see an update on the website. Hopefully we can get 2 or 3 small articles a week. Maybe break in a journalism intern during summer camp.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=1549380

I think the word on the street is that the Dan DiLella kid is who is pushing Vinny. R.Fr. and 6'5", 225lb he may be the passing QB we are missing.

I like Vinny at QB because he has experience, but if Fordie feels confident throwing the DiLella kid to the fire, so be it. I just hope he doesn't platoon QBs. Horrible for rhythm.

Local media coverageDanes kick off practice - Troy Record

Pierce, Wilkinson return to action - Times-Union

The T-U article is a paragraph in the above:

Company at practice

At the same time the Giants practiced Monday, the University at Albany football team held its first workout of preseason camp.

The Great Danes, looking to defend their Northeast Conference championship, return today with their first two-a-day. Their season begins Aug. 30 against Massachusetts.

"The first day is always tough," UAlbany coach Bob Ford said. "You are trying to take 32 freshmen and squeeze them in with 60-plus veterans to make them part of the squad. This slows the process, but everyone in the country goes through it. The vast majority of the team is in great physical condition, and the freshman class may be better than I thought."

UAlbany returns 11 starters from an 8-4 team.

There's also a short video thru the Fox Sports link above

Local media coverageDanes kick off practice - Troy Record

Pierce, Wilkinson return to action - Times-Union

The T-U article is a paragraph in the above:

Company at practice

At the same time the Giants practiced Monday, the University at Albany football team held its first workout of preseason camp.

The Great Danes, looking to defend their Northeast Conference championship, return today with their first two-a-day. Their season begins Aug. 30 against Massachusetts.

"The first day is always tough," UAlbany coach Bob Ford said. "You are trying to take 32 freshmen and squeeze them in with 60-plus veterans to make them part of the squad. This slows the process, but everyone in the country goes through it. The vast majority of the team is in great physical condition, and the freshman class may be better than I thought."

UAlbany returns 11 starters from an 8-4 team.

There's also a short video thru the Fox Sports link above

"....better then I thought." - NICE :rolleyes:

Archived