UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ESPN nabs Blakely as a MM Impact player..

From an ESPN article naming 10 Mid Major teams and 10 Mid Major players to keep an eye on this year....

Vermont was last seen at the NCAA tournament four seasons ago, upending Syracuse as a No. 13 seed and sending loquacious coach Tom Brennan to a cozy "retirement" in Bristol. While Albany and UMBC have been representing the America East at the Dance, the next generation of Catamounts has been taking shape. As a freshman, the 6-5 forward became a YouTube star for his ferocious leaning dunk in a losing title-game effort, but blossomed into the league player of the year with 19.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg (both league highs) and 15 double-doubles. With an improved supporting cast this year (including Michigan State transfer Maurice Joseph), Blakely could help write the next chapter of Vermont NCAA lore.

Does anyone else think that Blakely is going to have it a lot tougher this year if Coach Brown decides to put Will Harris on him? I mean Blakely pretty much does all his damage inside the key. You take the 6-6 240 pound Harris and stick him on 6-5 220 Blakely and I think he might struggle against the Danes. I'm not saying he gets shut down or anything, but I don't see any 20 and 10 this year for Blakely against the Danes.

Does anyone else think that Blakely is going to have it a lot tougher this year if Coach Brown decides to put Will Harris on him? I mean Blakely pretty much does all his damage inside the key. You take the 6-6 240 pound Harris and stick him on 6-5 220 Blakely and I think he might struggle against the Danes. I'm not saying he gets shut down or anything, but I don't see any 20 and 10 this year for Blakely against the Danes.

or the gonzaga transfer theo davis. it is defenitley not going to be a cake walk for blakely.

Blakely will do his damage but he will have a harder time this season unless he's managed to develop an outside shot. He was sort of one dimensional last season as in he overwhelmed teams with his awesome athleticism. Now, if he somehow managed to develop a midrange game then the sky is the limit for this kid but with a 6'6 240lb forward who can athletically compete with him but is stronger should give him fits, (not saying Will can shut him down) throw in an occasional double and he'll have to work for his.

Personal opinion? Blakely is VASTLY OVERRATED. I think he is good...real good. Howver, his damage is on put backs, slashes, and dunks. He has a decent jump-shooting game from 8-15 feet out. I think guys like Harris, Davis, and an improving John Holland, will be able to match-up well with him.

Just like I predicted (and was correct) Trimboli's struggles with bigger guards, I predict Blakely will struggle to get his double double this year. Clearly, he is the best returning player...but Taylor C, Jamar Wilson, Speedy Claxton, etc....he is not.

Now, if Blakely develops a deep game...all bets are off...the kid will be UNSTOPPABLE.

Archived