UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

CAA athletic directors to study 14-team puzzle

CAA athletic directors to study 14-team puzzle

From the Richmond Times Dispatch

-- Colonial Athletic Association athletic directors will convene in Washington next week and discuss the league's coming football expansion.

In general, the agenda is this question: Can a 14-team football conference work?

The ADs will be together for the NCAA convention.

Old Dominion begins playing CAA football in 2011. Georgia State is scheduled for a 2012 CAA football arrival. The Colonial already has 12 football members, including the University of Richmond, William and Mary and James Madison. Starting Wednesday, CAA directors of athletics and Tom Yeager, the commissioner of the league since its creation in 1985, will explore options.

Yeager yesterday said among those options are 1) one league with a pair of seven-team divisions, and 2) a split into two leagues, based on geography. The CAA also includes Delaware, Villanova, Towson, Hofstra, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Northeastern and Rhode Island.

If the choice is a 14-team league with a pair of seven-team divisions, Yeager believes an eight-game CAA obligation would continue. Yeager hopes a consensus is reached next week, allowing the league to go forward with scheduling for 2011 and beyond. The CAA has a strong interest in reducing travel costs, if possible, while maintaining traditional conference rivalries.

Charlotte announced four months ago that it intends to launch a football program in 2013, if the school can raise sufficient funds. Yeager said he has not heard from Charlotte representatives about any interest they may have in the Colonial. -- John O'Connor

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/co...-220912/171882/

Should be interesting to see what comes from this, if anything.

-What does this mean for UA?

It could mean a place at the CAA table (although I doubt it). The best thing we can hope for is that the CAA decides 14 members is too large and they will split into two separate conferences (North and South). That would leave an opportunity for Albany to slide into the North conference.

-What does this mean for the AE and football schools who play in the CAA?

There is the potential for CAA football affiliates (UMass, Villanova, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Richmand and Maine - I think that's it) to be forced out. Its unlikely, because they have had great success and have rivalries with full CAA members that go back years (see e.g. Delaware/Villanova).

-AE football?

Unlikely. Nero dropped the ball in the early part of this decade and it doesn't look like its going to happen again. Too many variables for schools like UNH and Maine (who have had success in the CAA) to leave to an unknown. Especially true for CAA affiliate UMass. UMass doesn't want to be associated with lower level teams. They want to be in the best FCS conference there is - the CAA. Think of it like Florida leaving the SEC to go to the ACC to be with more regionally conducive teams. It would never happen.

-AE football?

Unlikely. Nero dropped the ball in the early part of this decade and it doesn't look like its going to happen again.

I know next to nothing about conference realignment, especially in regards to football, but Nero was hired as AE Commissioner in 2005..he spent the early part of this decade as AD of UMaine.

-AE football?

Unlikely. Nero dropped the ball in the early part of this decade and it doesn't look like its going to happen again.

I know next to nothing about conference realignment, especially in regards to football, but Nero was hired as AE Commissioner in 2005..he spent the early part of this decade as AD of UMaine.

Yeah, there were apparently two attempts at forming AE Football. Once was in 2000 and one was in 2005 I believe. We saw a proposed conference allignment at an alumni event in 2005, which was under Nero at that point.

Sorry, I got confused about when he started and which proposal he was on.

With the future of the structure of CAA football in question, it sure seems like a timely opportunity to re-explore the formation of an American East Football Conferece!

While I would like to join the CAA, I also would love to see America East Hockey 10-20 years down the road, and an America East Hockey Conference would be nasty!!! :)

With the future of the structure of CAA football in question, it sure seems like a timely opportunity to re-explore the formation of an American East Football Conferece!

While I would like to join the CAA, I also would love to see America East Hockey 10-20 years down the road, and an America East Hockey Conference would be nasty!!! :)

Not without membership changes. According to this thread on AGS, post #32 says BUMA blocked the formation of AE Hockey, favoring Hockey East, and the schools opposed to football are still here, too.

Archived