UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Word Has Returned from Master Yoda on Dagobah

RANDOM THOUGHTS

01.30.09:

We have hit the half way point of the conference season and sit at 5-3. We have won our last two and do not play again until Feb. 5 at Boston U. We were off yesterday and did a lot of individual work today. The players took a lot of shots today. We spent a good 11/2 hours doing individual work and then finished up the practice working on our offensive sets.

I was happy to see our bench contribute as well as they did the past two games. Mike Johnson provided a nice spark for us against UMBC and Hartford. He has really been working hard in practice and it is starting to pay off. Jerel Hastings has played some impressive defense, Billy Allen has done a lot of the things that just don't show up on a stat sheet, and Jimmie Covington has been very physical up front. We will continue to get better if we can get consistent production off the bench.

Anthony Raffa has been shut down from practice until Monday. He needs a few days for his toe to heal. He was in a lot of pain after the Hartford game. It has been nice to see Will Harris play with such energy and passion. He has been outstanding in conference play. It seems that he is slowly becoming a crowd favorite.

I am heading down to Mt. Saint Mary's College in Newburgh tomorrow to see 2009 signee Ralph Watts play against Newburgh Free Academy. Peekskill High is undefeated and considered a favorite to get to Glens Falls this year. Ralph is having an outstanding season. I am looking forward to seeing this game because it should be a good one. Ralph has only been playing about half the game because Peekskill has won so many games in convincing fashion.

Coach Filien will be in 4 states over the next 6 days and Coach Friel will fly to Florida tomorrow morning and should arrive back on Sunday in time to watch the Super Bowl. Recruiting never ends as we are always looking for quality student-athletes who can help us continue to grow as a program.

We are fortunate to have so many loyal supporters and fans of the program. I would really like the thank all of the people who came out during the snow storm to support the team against Hartford. The players and coaches really do appreciate it. Hartford is very difficult to play against because they shoot so many 3's and play all match-up zone.

We hope to see some of you in Boston. This is a big game for us and Boston U is playing very well. The backcourt of John Holland and Corey Lowe is the best that we have in the AE. We will have our hands full.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the Super Bowl!

I believe Thursday's game is being played at the Agganis Arena on Boston University's campus. It's where the America East Tournament was two years ago, which I think is the last time we played there, if I'm not mistaken. The Agganis Arena is a beautiful venue and is where the BU hockey team plays. I recall there being ample parking with a parking garage underground and behind the arena(?). http://www.agganisarena.com/

On Parking: http://www.agganisarena.com/directions/parking.html

I want to go to the game so badly, but I don't think I can make it out to Boston in time with work that day until almost 6pm. I would encourage anyone who can skip town around 330 or 4pm to make the trip to Boston Thursday night and cheer on our team. I think you'll find the trip rewarding, and I think you'll enjoy watching a game there!

Although BU doesn't play most of its hoops games at the Agganis Arena, it is easily the nicest arena/venue in our conference, from what I have seen. The Events Center is nice in Bingo, but not nearly as nice as the Agganis Arena.

I believe there's also an alumni pre-game get together put on by the Alumni Association for Boston area alums...

Event Title: UAlbany Alumni Reception in Boston

Date: Feb 5, 2009

Time: 5:30PM - 6:30PM

Description: Join UAlbany alumni at Sunset Cantina before the Feb. 5 men's basketball game against the Boston University Terriers. Meet at Sunset Cantina, 916 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, at 5:30 pm for some munchies and mingling. For more information contact 518-442-3080 or alumniassociation@uamail.albany.edu

http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/U...tscalendar.html

Note: The Star Wars reference in the captioned thread flows in part from Coach's statement earlier this year --- "Our team is still young and inexperienced, and I try my best to play the Jedi mind tricks with them" --- and Mark Singelais's resulting blog entry on the team's trip to Orono, Maine and Mark's Star Wars reference, which I thought was clever and hilarious: "The Star Wars reference is quite apt this weekend because Orono in winter is much like the ice world of Hoth in the classic sequel 'The Empire Strikes Back.' ... ."

Indeed, one of my favorite articles that Singelais has written: http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=2073

You can park UNDER Agganis Arena...actually, the lot is for the RYAN Center and Arena. I think it is like 10 bucks after 5.

It's where I park when I go to my Orthopedic.

Anyone taking the T there...take the "B" line...and there are two stops (one right before and one right after the Arena).

The Cantina is directly across the street from Agganis.

You can park UNDER Agganis Arena...actually, the lot is for the RYAN Center and Arena. I think it is like 10 bucks after 5.

Anyone taking the T there...take the "B" line...and there are two stops (one right before and one right after the Arena).

Dane96 (or anyone else on here): How much time should one give themselves for the trip from, e.g., downtown Albany to Agganis Arena? Can it be done in 3 hours? (assuming maybe average speed of 75mph)

Dane96 (or anyone else on here): How much time should one give themselves for the trip from, e.g., downtown Albany to Agganis Arena? Can it be done in 3 hours? (assuming maybe average speed of 75mph)

yes. it is 166 miles from the Knick in downtown to BU . It can be done in 2 1/2 hours with no traffic, but at that time it generally has taken me just under 3 hours.

Archived