UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2010 Commit!!!

I know a lot of comparisons have been made to former UA player Levi Levine, but another player who he seems to remind me of based on descriptions is UMBC's Darryl Proctor. An undersized forward who can get his points both at the basket, and on the perimeter

If he turns out to be a more athletic Levi or like Proctor I'd be happy with either one.

Anyone else find it interesting that James joins Siena bound Anosike on the second team? They've been pimping him for month's. Either they have seriously overrated OD or we have really got ourselves a heck of a player.

Any idea where he stands per poopscoop?

I think they're both very talented players - 2nd Team All City is Impressive.

PoopScoop has Siena's OD rated 7th in the 2009 NYC class while Stukes is rated 16th.

Rice did beat OD's, St Peter's team team by 20+ in the playoffs.

Rice 62, St. Peter's 38Tom Dowd, February 24, 2009 9:24 p.m.

Len Ragaglia had 12 points for St. Peter's against Rice. - (Staten Island Advance file photo by Hilton Flores)There’s no problem figuring out when things went wrong for St. Peter’s in yesterday’s CHSAA Archdiocesan semifinal against Rice, and it was a scenario the Eagles have seen before.

St. Peter’s was hanging around against the high-powered, top-seeded Raiders well into the second quarter. But Rice gave itself some breathing room before the half, then took over and took off in the third quarter on the way to a 62-38 win at St. Raymond’s HS in the Bronx.

“The end of the second quarter and the beginning of the third quarter,” said St. Peter’s coach Charlie Driscoll. “We had 12 horrendous minutes.”

The Eagles were down 17-16 midway through the quarter when the Raiders closed the half with an 8-0 run that began with a James Stukes 3-pointer.

Trevor Sykes opened the third quarter with a jumper for the Eagles, but it was all Rice from there. Up 32-18, the Raiders got three straight fast-break baskets from Stukes off a pair of long rebounds sandwiched around an Eagle turnover.

“Now they’re relaxed,” said Driscoll, “and all of a sudden they can’t miss a shot.”

Two more transition hoops and a 3-pointer from Jermaine Sanders had Rice up 43-18 five minutes into the half.

Even before Rice got its offense clicking, the Raiders were disrupting everything St. Peter’s tried to do with on-the-ball pressure. The Eagles did a fine job taking care of the ball against Rice’s full-court defense and didn’t get into trouble with turnovers, but struggled to initiate their offense once they got past halfcourt.

St. Peter’s couldn’t get the ball inside to senior center O.D. Anosike, who scored nine points while grabbing 15 rebounds and blocking five shots, and only Len Ragaglia had any success from the perimeter, making four 3-pointers and leading the Eagles with 12 points.

“They took us out of our offense right away,” said Driscoll. “There are ways to counter that — screens, backdoors — and we didn’t do it. We just couldn’t get into our offense.” - highschoolsports.silive.com

In the second semifinal game, the Rice Raiders totally dominated St. Peters for three of the four quarters, winning 62-38. James Stukes led the Raiders with 23 points followed by Richard Council who added 11 points. Len Ragaglia had 12 points for St. Peter's. - NYChoops.net

I didn't look back so if this was posted elsewhere I apologize.

DP did mention something about it in one of his posts.

Ralph Watts is already helping us out!!!!

So who is this future teammate that helped in his decision making process? "Ralph Watts (Peekskill HS leading scorer and UAlbany commit) helped me with my decision. Ralph thought that we would be good future teammates. So he was a part of my decision too," said Stukes. - from Rivals

May 17, 2009

Jay Gomes

NJHoops.com Editor

Two of the favorites emerged to battle it out for the championship of the Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest Sunday evening at Hoop Group Headquarters in Neptune. The 32 team 17 & Under division came down to the Playaz from NJ and Juice from NYC.

NJ Hoops

Juice 17's

The NYC team came out with a hard fought 81-75 victory. Juice took an early lead and went in at halftime with a 49-38 advantage behind 15 first half points from 6-foot-5 Rice NY Sr. James Stukes. The Playaz made their run mid way through the second half before Juice pulled away late.

Stukes finished with 23 points and 9 rebounds. 6-foot-6 Paterson Catholic Jr. Fuquan Edwin led the Playaz with 28 points.

6-foot-7 Fordham bound Thomas Jefferson Jr. Joel Wright had 14 points in the championship and was named Tournament MVP.

From the New York Sportswriter's Blog.

Stukes decides: There are too many days when I can't decide at 11 a.m. what I should have for lunch at noon. James Stukes appears to have no such problems when it comes to planning.

The Rice basketball star, a NYSSWA second-team all-state selection in Class AA, decided earlier that he will attend prep school at South Kent in Connecticut next fall. And now he has made a college decision as well.

The Rice forward has made a non-binding commitment to the University of Albany after an official visit and intends to enroll in September 2010, FiveBoroSports.com reported.

"I wanted to get it over with,” Stukes told the site. "I just want to focus on getting better for next year. I feel relieved, stress-free. I don’t have to worry about anything."

The 6-foot-5 Stukes averaged 13.3 points for Rice en route to the Federation Class AA championship.

I've only seen brief glimpses of Stukes but I can say this much: If the Albany staff does get his signature on a letter of intent in November then they just stole themselves a kid who could start 110 games and scored 1,500 points for them by March 2014.

There's been some debate on whether we'll be recruiting a PG in next year's class. If we are my vote is for Russ Smith He played with Stukes for the AAU Gauchos and will be prepping at St. Kent next year also.

From the New York Sportswriter's Blog.

Stukes decides: There are too many days when I can't decide at 11 a.m. what I should have for lunch at noon. James Stukes appears to have no such problems when it comes to planning.

The Rice basketball star, a NYSSWA second-team all-state selection in Class AA, decided earlier that he will attend prep school at South Kent in Connecticut next fall. And now he has made a college decision as well.

The Rice forward has made a non-binding commitment to the University of Albany after an official visit and intends to enroll in September 2010, FiveBoroSports.com reported.

"I wanted to get it over with,” Stukes told the site. "I just want to focus on getting better for next year. I feel relieved, stress-free. I don’t have to worry about anything."

The 6-foot-5 Stukes averaged 13.3 points for Rice en route to the Federation Class AA championship.

I've only seen brief glimpses of Stukes but I can say this much: If the Albany staff does get his signature on a letter of intent in November then they just stole themselves a kid who could start 110 games and scored 1,500 points for them by March 2014.

There's been some debate on whether we'll be recruiting a PG in next year's class. If we are my vote is for Russ Smith He played with Stukes for the AAU Gauchos and will be prepping at St. Kent next year also.

What's the story with the LOI? Can he sign this summer or do we have to wait 'till the fall? If he blows up next year at prep he could be out of our reach, apparently he has that kind of potential.

Also, FWIW, I've been told by a cross town rival fan that he wasn't good enough for them, based on what I've heard from people who've seen him play and what I've read....I'll gladly take their "reject".....I mean that with all due respect to Mr. Stukes.

Does the cross town fan HAVE to say this, because last year he was saying that Will Brown had burned too many bridges and couldn't recruit in NYC?

For the record, he didn't say anything negative about the kid other then saying Siena was to good for him. I suspect had he actually signed at Siena he would be pimped like all of the other recruits. I don't know how accurate the information is that they offered but multiple sites have reported that they did.

Archived