UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

http://m.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120101/SPORTS31/201010317/-1/WAP03&template=wapart&m_section=

Star Monroe-Woodbury quarterback Ryan Spelman is off to play football at Albany University, and his departure comes in just two weeks.

Spelman, a senior, has committed to play for the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school and will receive an athletic scholarship that covers about half of his expenses. He picked Albany over Army, which would have likely required Spelman to enroll at its prep school before enrolling at West Point. Spelman said he is set to graduate from Monroe-Woodbury early on Jan. 13.

He will arrive on campus at Albany three days later and begin classes on Jan. 18.

"It's going to be a big jump, but I'm excited for it," Spelman said. "I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be fun, and I get to work out with the team. I will miss all my friends and teammates at Monroe-Woodbury, but I will still be able to see them. I will, hopefully, be around."

Spelman said he accelerated his graduation by bulking up on classes and not taking study halls. The idea to fast-track his arrival to Albany was attractive because his family is moving to Columbus, Ohio, next month due to a job transfer.

In a high-pressure spot, replacing star signal caller Danny Scalo, Spelman rushed for 820 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2010. He added 1,301 passing yards and 12 scores, helping Monroe-Woodbury to its seventh straight Section 9 Class AA title, and was named a Varsity845 first-team all-star. Spelman rushed for 1,397 yards this season with 19 touchdowns and passed for 807 yards and five scores. He was named a second-team Varsity845 all-star.

"I'm very happy for Ryan," Monroe-Woodbury football coach Pat D'Aliso said. "He might have to adjust a little because of going there early, but Ryan will be fine. He could play at any school he wants to. Ryan is a hard worker, and he deserves this."

Spelman said he could eventually earn a full scholarship at Albany, which went 8-4. The Great Danes lost to Stony Brook 31-28 in the first round of the FCS playoffs. Will Fiacchi, who will be a redshirt sophomore in the fall, is one of the leading candidates to start for Albany in 2012. Spelman hopes to, at the least, crack the depth chart as a freshman.

"I know they have high expectations for me, but I don't want to say anything about my goals right now," Spelman said politely.

As for his time at Monroe-Woodbury, Spelman added: "I will just always remember all the kids I played with and all the obstacles I had to overcome. My injuries, being in a car accident as a sophomore, having my friend (and former teammate) Justin (Dimino) die (in January of 2011). No matter what happened, we were all like a family on the field."

I expect he'll probably end up at WR or DB though, but only time will tell. Nice to see freshman enroll ing in time for Spring ball too.

it may sound weird...but his throwing style and movement with the ball reminds me of Tim Tebow. Very high arcing throw. Slow delivery, but very accurate.

Yeah he doesn't have great mechanics but he is very accurate.

He also didn't have to throw much in high school. Not many teams could stop him on the ground.

How do yo graduate high school early?

Its a very common practice for most blue-chip football players around the country. They load up on elective classes, avoid study halls/free periods and take their required state tests early which allows them to graduate and enroll in college for the Spring semester and in time for Spring Practice. A huge leg up on the freshman that wait until August to arrive on campus.

Wow, I never knew that. Interesting.

I'd say it's definitely more common in the South and at private schools because of curriculum flexibility, but it also happens a lot for the northern kids that attend large high schools, like this kid's school - Monroe Woodbury which has graduating classes in the 600-700 kid range.

Wow, I never knew that. Interesting.

I'd say it's definitely more common in the South and at private schools because of curriculum flexibility, but it also happens a lot for the northern kids that attend large high schools, like this kid's school - Monroe Woodbury which has graduating classes in the 600-700 kid range.

My high school had 400 in the whole school. :)

$iena...I graduated with 850+...and started with a 1000, and that was just the Sr. class.

Is that because people graduated early or dropped out. DOH!

Grew up in small town in Westchester County. Very small school. Good athletics though. I am surprised though that I had never heard of graduating high school early.

Archived