UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What the hell type of question is that?

Is your boyfriend coming to play football at UAlbany? Out with it. You're asking about all the free gear he's going to get, and now you're wondering if he'll get to wear his number?

What the hell team lets two players wear the same number?

If there are numbers left, then no, you cannot wear the same number as someone else. Two active players (as in, they both play) can never wear the same number.

The only situation in which players would even POSSIBLY be permitted to have the same number is when both of the players are inactive (neither will play). Even then, it's not going to happen.

greatdanesbaby10

Are you smokin crack????? (only kidding)

Why do you think they have numbers on uniforms?

To tell the players apart for the teams, the coaches and the officials.

How would you like doing stats and having 3 running backs with the same number!!

DAAH!!!!

Ummm...actually you guys owe him/her an apology. College football squads regularly dress players at home in double numbers. They are usually frosh who are more than likely being red-shirted. It is not atypical.

The caveat I forgot to add is that the inactive red-shirt who is dressed can be brought into the game if he is listed on the game day roster. Trust me....two players on the sideline can have the same number. Chances are, like I said, that the second player does not play because he will likely be a red-shirt.

Back when Albany had a JV team there were over 100 players suited up, and Dane96 has heard Dayton flyer football fan talk about Dayton and Mount Union carrying 120 players, so some numbers must be doubled up, but I doubt they'd all be eligible.

Ualumn..many are eligible but do not play. Watch the sideline this year...bet you 5 or 6 guys have numbers that are doubled up. Some guys wont even have numbers in the program yet are wearing double numbers. Chances of them playing are slim, but if you are suited up...you are eligible.

Dane96

The caveat I forgot to add is that the inactive red-shirt who is dressed can be brought into the game if he is listed on the game day roster...............bet you 5 or 6 guys have numbers that are doubled up. Some guys wont even have numbers in the program yet are wearing double numbers. - D96

By the letter of the law they may be eligible but when (if ever) was the last time you saw a DI backfield or set of Linebackers with the same numbered uniform. NEVER!!!!

There are alot of reasons for that!!!

Let's use common sense here, just imagine the trickery deceitful coaches could use?

If an inactive redshirt plays one down after being redshirted, he loses a year's worth of eligibility.

"The caveat I forgot to add is that the inactive red-shirt who is dressed can be brought into the game if he is listed on the game day roster. Chances are, like I said, that the second player does not play because he will likely be a red-shirt. "

There is NEVER any instance where two players with the same number can enter a game. And you can't change numbers mid-game. Thus, there is no way for both with the same number to play.

Any player who is going to play in the game will not share a number with a redshirt. Two redshirt players would share the same number, thus negating any potential problems.

I said in the post, the only way to do it is if you have over 99 players (well I didn't say that part) and then it would be only for redshirts. But only one player can play with any given number.

So if her (presumed) boyfriend is coming here and wants to wear the same number as one of our active players, he's not going to be able to. Albany doesn't have 99 players (thus there are free numbers and no doubling up).

Can a redshirt dress in full uniform(forget double numbers for the moment) on game day, but not participate?

As far as a transfer or incoming freshman wanting an upper classmen's or an existing player's number...forget it. Scott Dimetrinco(possibly one of the best LB the program has ever seen...and that includes today's great LB's) came to Albany from New Hampshire and wanted #58. it was taken by another player and he had to settle for another #. When the incumbent player graduated DiMo took # 58.

P.S. My Sr. Year we got to keep our home jersey's and the sweat suits we got for away games with our numbers and position on them...in fact I have them stored somewhere. Either the sweat shirt shrunk or I got fatter...who knows?

greatdanesbaby10

im sorry for upsetting everyone at this post, - gdb10

Don't be sorry, just don't take everyone's responses seriously. We all have ideas, opinions and questions and the fun thing about the board is every once in awhile you ca tweek someone and get an impulsive response out of them - that's true enjoyment.

Guys can wear the same numbers but one of them is never going to see the field.

Actually gdb10 asked a legitimate question.

Many of the I-A schools have two or three players wearing the same number because of the size of the team. Most of the time its inactive players.

Also, two players can wear the same number and play in the same game. I believe Ohio State did it back in their NC run, I don't remember the number, but one was on offense and one was on defense. I don't know if its set in stone that they have to be on opposite sides of the ball but it can be done.

A player can also wear two jerseys during a game. If a lineman is going to be eligible as a receiver that has to be marked with a second jersey number.

DaneMan-

Thank you...I didnt want to get shot down with a response to D2k again...you know considering he played collegiate football and all ;)

As I stated earlier and Daneman has reitierated...you can play two guys w/ the same number...it just doesnt happen often because the second player is usually a frosh on the sidelines at HOME games who is there as an insurance policy and probably will be red-shirted as long as he is not needed as an emergency.