UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Albany Lacrosse Schedule

College Curling USA is separate from the NCAA ( your 2017 champions the Gophers of the U of Minnesota, tourney held in Whitesboro NY near Utica.)

WLax is like Field Hockey, nobody knows why penalties are called, whats forbidden is counterintuitive to the way youd expect to act.

Six D-IIi schools were grandfathered to D-I - Hopkins lax, Hartwick soccer, and hockey at RPI, Clarkson, St Lawrence, and Colorado Coll. They all have corresponding women sports.

Union hockey, Hobart lax, and three others werent grandfathered but are allowed to compete at D-I without scholarships.

There are quite a few schools playing up in sports like skiing, bowling, rifle, and womens gymnastics.

Since 1992 D-I schools cant play football or basketball at a LOWER division (the Dayton Rule). Proposed by D-iII schools after D-I Wagner played D-I Dayton for the 1989 D-III football championship.

This year, D-II NY Tech drops back to D-II baseball after playing D-I BB since 1980

Pardon the unitiated but I just caught a clip of the women's lacrosse team on UA's FB page.

Q: Why do the women play with no gloves/helmets like the men? Not just UA but most teams it looks like.

More of a curiosity than anything.

Rules are so different its hardly the same game. Very strict rules on contact, high sticks, something called shooting space (defender cant move in front of attacker in the shooting area) so only the goalie has a helmet. I also dont know why some face offs are side by side and some facing each other.

Apologies to anyone who is a fan, but curling is a more exciting sport than women's lax. You'll also notice that the goal scorer immediately tosses their stick to the ground so that the ref can make sure it's legal.

Jimbo I am LMAO - actually laughed out loud. What's wrong with curling. I actually watch it on channel 44 [local cable TV] during the season!!![/quote

Oh, nothing at all. I enjoy curling. Some folks do make fun of it though. I always pictured it getting invented by some hammered Scottish guy out ice fishing who turned his friend and said “ hold my beer...let me see if I can hit Angus with is this rock here.” Plus, have you seen some of the women’s Olympic teams?? No problem with curling in my life. It’s basically bocce with large rocks and ice. Except you need two hands so you gotta set your beer down.

LMAO again!!!

Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this"

Academically, a student will learn and get from a university what they work at getting out of the school. The difference academically stems from the quality of student, making more advanced classes more demanded and thus offered, and reputation. Syracuse isn't better academically than UA, but because it is a nationally known name it's degrees might be worth more.

Yale might not teach you more things, but because it has a history of higher quality students, it's academic reputation is better.

"Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this" Really - Got a couple undergraduate degrees and 149 Graduate hours at Albany - NEVER hear a professor say anything even resembling that type of comment!! Sorry. If that is true then they need to go and be replaced by someone else.

High quality students - mostly "Liberal" arts students - High quality is translated by some as Wealthy who can afford to pay - or a few 100 given scholarships each year because they score really high on the SAT's so they can keep their rep alive. The SAT's are a joke today compared to 40-50 years ago, just sayin' .

If you didn't catch it, my post was humor.

I was saying that the academics at each university is the same for the student that works for it. There is no "I can't teach you that". The difference is the percentage of high achieving students that attend a school allowing that school to offer more advanced classes and research, along with the percentage of high achieving alumni that support the university and add value through hiring with alumni networks and donations improving the reputation of school.

The other side of it is the name recognition of school. I do not think Syracuse is superior to UA academically in anyway shape or form. That said, a recruiter from California might recognize the Syracuse name because of athletic success and thus give preference for an interview from a candidate from that school. I have shared a true story on this board multiple times on when I was looking for a new job back in 06 and the response my resume received before and after the UConn game that year.

The sad part is, in the capital district a $iena diploma is worth more than a UA one in the business community. Why? Because most UA kids go back to NYC or travel the country. $iena alum typically stay in the area. There are a surprising number of $iena alum in leadership positions in businesses all over the capital district that like to hire $iena kids. It sucks, but it is a fact. I live it every day in the business community. It's why I have a BEAT $IENA shirt hanging on my wall in my office. Acedmically $iena is $iena. My brother went there. UA kicks its @ss, but around here one is worth more than the other if you want a top job. Go to Atlanta and I bet 99 out of 100 have never heard of $iena.

Sorry I missed the humor. WiIl try to get it next time. My bad.

It is actually a quote from a comedian. I want to say it was George Carlin, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Very funny statement about a teacher standing in front of the class reading from a book, and having to stop because he can't teach you that. You would have to go to Harvard to learn that. I wish I could find the bit. I actually quote it a lot and it would probably be nice to remember where it came from. I guess had I gone to Yale or Hopkins instead of UA I would remember because of their "superior" academics. LOL

I am obviously less well read [watched] than you - never heard that before!!

I'm going to say an even greater accomplishment than the men's bball team making the tournament.

I would agree with this. Outside of the powerhouse programs, the majority of D1 schools have never held the number 1 ranking in any sport throughout their history. This is a big deal and I hope the program gets some well deserved national coverage.

I saw these so far:

https://www.foxsports.com/other/story/a-first-for-suny-2-no-1-teams-in-division-i-lacrosse-022618

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bs-sp-albany-mens-lacrosse-crowned-as-new-no-1-story.html

I was looking for this post and couldn't find it BUT I did paraphrase what you said. This is exactly right on!!

So glad I moved from northeast to NC to avoid these noreasters. Question for Albany locals: looks like snow and rain today? Could the Cornell game get cancelled tomorrow due to field conditions or enough rain to clear field? Rescheduling games is a drag like last years MD game. Thanks.

So glad I moved from northeast to NC to avoid these noreasters. Question for Albany locals: looks like snow and rain today? Could the Cornell game get cancelled tomorrow due to field conditions or enough rain to clear field? Rescheduling games is a drag like last years MD game. Thanks.

The snow is very heavy and wet, at least in Troy. So I wouldn't be surprised.

And good call on NC...Charlotte is at the top of my list if I ever move from this crappy state. For now family and UA sports (as small as that may be to some people haha) are keeping me here.

Moved to coastal NC last Fall 30 minutes south of Wilmington on the Intercoastal. Three hours from the big college sports programs Duke, UNC, NC St, Etc. This is UNC Wilmington country. Have not checked out a CAA game there as yet. They had a down year in BB this year after back to back CAA championships. The head coach parlayed the 2 ships into the head coach job at NC State so new coach and some recruits backing out caused a 10-20 season so far.

I doubt it will affect the game. Gonna be clear and sunny tomorrow [some are saying possible rain and snow flurries]. Cornell is also an upstate school use to the snow. If the come up via Rt 17 [int 86 to Binghamton] and then Int 88 it will be clear - same if they head north and come out the Thruway. It is awful today but will end later and the roads are already being cleared.

I would love to move south but my wife would never go for it sooooo.... here I stay.

Well was I wrong. I think they could have played tomorrow but - does make it tough for the 2 day turnaround for U Mass!!

Edited by HOF2013

1. I am shocked that the gift by John Fallon was only 250-500K. Not saying that is chump change, but that is not a lot of money as far as bequests to universities go. I always assumed (wrongly) that he had given 5-10mil. Well that definitely changes my outlook. I don't think 500k buys you perpetuity naming and location rights to a D1 lax program.

2. I wish someone would step up with that 5mil donation that would allow JFF to become "JFF at JPompo6 Field house." I could be wrong but I think that a lacrosse specific field house would be the first one ever, though I am sure other sports would get access to it. Even if that is the case, We would probably be the athletic program with the lowest overall profile to have a facility of that quality -- which isn't a bad thing, we can't help who we are, but we can be proud of it!

3.Reason #768 why a field house would be worth the investment -- tomorrow's game. It could have been played in perfect conditions in front of 1,000 of UA's most loyal fans. We went out to Notre Dame when I was a Freshman and played in their field house and I recall they had a significant home field advantage due to the crowd being on top of you, the field not being full size, strange lighting, several different line patterns that were really confusing. We could have a few of those home field advantages while ditching the confusing lines and short field. We lost that game 7-6 and was part of what we endearingly refer to as "The best team to ever start 0-5" We opened with a close loss @ #1 Hopkins, then 7-6 @ #6 ND, followed by 8-7 in 3OT @ #9 UDel, another loss 9-8 @ #12 UMass, and a fifth loss 7-6 @ #14 Drexel. We finally won our first game of the year by playing our first home game of the season #11 Princeton and beating the pulp out of them 10-2. That was the last time PU game to the Capital Region. To cap off this trip down memory lane I recall we hit our high water mark for the season when we were up 11-2 at halftime of the AE Championship vs #6 UMBC and then promptly hit our low mark by squandering that huge lead and losing 14-13. The game isn't over until it's over!

4. Now that I have rambled on about my glory days...... I commend Scotty for taking out all of the starters to start the second half vs. Drexel... there was nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing them. We don't need to embarrass teams to the point it becomes unsportsmanlike (not saying we've come even close to that point) and more importantly, the biggest thing standing in the way of us getting to the final 4 IMO is injury. These cold games in February and March are really hard on the body and I would hate to see such a promising season go up in flames due to injury(ies).

5. I am very much looking forward to watching the Maryland game... over ... and over... as they most likely possess the greatest probability of being able to at least disrupt T.D.'s domination at faceoff. I NEED to see how our Danes perform under pressure. I am sure they will do great, just as they did in the first half of the Syracuse game, but I can't help but think about those college basketball teams like Wichita State a couple years ago that blew the barn doors off every team they played in the regular season and carried a top ranking with them most of the way too, but in the end they fell just short of their goal mostly because they just didn't play as many minutes of intense pressure basketball as a few of the other great teams did. My only anecdotal personal evidence of this is when I was at West Genny and we rolled all season to 22-0 and #1 national ranking, never trailing in a single game all season with the likes of John Galloway, Tim Desko, Luke Cometti, Ryan Barber, and 10+ other D1 players.... when we got to the state title game against #3 in the USA West Islip, we found ourselves down 3-1 at the end of the 1st quarter and in the huddle you would have thought it was 20-0. We hadn't faced and battled through adversity so we didn't have any composure. We forced a few passes, tried to do a little too much 1-1 and without much affair we were down 5-1 and had no answers on either side of the field. We lost that game 7-3. What drives the point home further is the year prior we played the same West Islip team only they were #1 and undefeated and we were 16-5 (the most regular season losses by a Genny team ever at that point) and because we had dealt with so much adversity we were able to fight and scrape and ended up falling just short 7-6.

Anyway - there are my thoughts. A little too much about the good ole days but I thought they were relevant and maybe at least someone was a little entertained.

P.S. Ryan Smith from West Genny is gonna be a Puppy for the Danes come Fall '18 and I think he has the potential to become another UA 2 way middie. It's also coach Messere's final year coaching at Genny and they have a really good team. It's been a while since WG has won a NY State Championship... Maybe all the planets will align for me and WG and the Danes both go out on top...

Understand BUT we have a game Tuesday at UMass. Only a 2 day turnaround then the big one Saturday at Maryland. Guess we will see what shape guys are in. Of course a Drexel type 1st half vs Cornell would let Marr rest starters in 2nd half.

@NYSteve661 - I was thinking the same thing, however, I know Duke schedules games with a 2 day turnaround on purpose to prepare his team physically and mentally for the final 4. Modeling after Duke isn't the worst idea I have ever heard, even if it's just a product of the circumstances. I'd imagine it would help settle the nerves of a team embarking on their first trip to Memorial Day Weekend if they can look back to a weekend in early March where they handled 2 quality teams in 3 days. Now thegame at Maryland 4 days after.... that's just plain mean.

GO DANES!

1. I am shocked that the gift by John Fallon was only 250-500K. Not saying that is chump change, but that is not a lot of money as far as bequests to universities go. I always assumed (wrongly) that he had given 5-10mil. Well that definitely changes my outlook. I don't think 500k buys you perpetuity naming and location rights to a D1 lax program.

2. I wish someone would step up with that 5mil donation that would allow JFF to become "JFF at JPompo6 Field house." I could be wrong but I think that a lacrosse specific field house would be the first one ever, though I am sure other sports would get access to it. Even if that is the case, We would probably be the athletic program with the lowest overall profile to have a facility of that quality -- which isn't a bad thing, we can't help who we are, but we can be proud of it!

3.Reason #768 why a field house would be worth the investment -- tomorrow's game. It could have been played in perfect conditions in front of 1,000 of UA's most loyal fans. We went out to Notre Dame when I was a Freshman and played in their field house and I recall they had a significant home field advantage due to the crowd being on top of you, the field not being full size, strange lighting, several different line patterns that were really confusing. We could have a few of those home field advantages while ditching the confusing lines and short field. We lost that game 7-6 and was part of what we endearingly refer to as "The best team to ever start 0-5" We opened with a close loss @ #1 Hopkins, then 7-6 @ #6 ND, followed by 8-7 in 3OT @ #9 UDel, another loss 9-8 @ #12 UMass, and a fifth loss 7-6 @ #14 Drexel. We finally won our first game of the year by playing our first home game of the season #11 Princeton and beating the pulp out of them 10-2. That was the last time PU game to the Capital Region. To cap off this trip down memory lane I recall we hit our high water mark for the season when we were up 11-2 at halftime of the AE Championship vs #6 UMBC and then promptly hit our low mark by squandering that huge lead and losing 14-13. The game isn't over until it's over!

4. Now that I have rambled on about my glory days...... I commend Scotty for taking out all of the starters to start the second half vs. Drexel... there was nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing them. We don't need to embarrass teams to the point it becomes unsportsmanlike (not saying we've come even close to that point) and more importantly, the biggest thing standing in the way of us getting to the final 4 IMO is injury. These cold games in February and March are really hard on the body and I would hate to see such a promising season go up in flames due to injury(ies).

5. I am very much looking forward to watching the Maryland game... over ... and over... as they most likely possess the greatest probability of being able to at least disrupt T.D.'s domination at faceoff. I NEED to see how our Danes perform under pressure. I am sure they will do great, just as they did in the first half of the Syracuse game, but I can't help but think about those college basketball teams like Wichita State a couple years ago that blew the barn doors off every team they played in the regular season and carried a top ranking with them most of the way too, but in the end they fell just short of their goal mostly because they just didn't play as many minutes of intense pressure basketball as a few of the other great teams did. My only anecdotal personal evidence of this is when I was at West Genny and we rolled all season to 22-0 and #1 national ranking, never trailing in a single game all season with the likes of John Galloway, Tim Desko, Luke Cometti, Ryan Barber, and 10+ other D1 players.... when we got to the state title game against #3 in the USA West Islip, we found ourselves down 3-1 at the end of the 1st quarter and in the huddle you would have thought it was 20-0. We hadn't faced and battled through adversity so we didn't have any composure. We forced a few passes, tried to do a little too much 1-1 and without much affair we were down 5-1 and had no answers on either side of the field. We lost that game 7-3. What drives the point home further is the year prior we played the same West Islip team only they were #1 and undefeated and we were 16-5 (the most regular season losses by a Genny team ever at that point) and because we had dealt with so much adversity we were able to fight and scrape and ended up falling just short 7-6.

Anyway - there are my thoughts. A little too much about the good ole days but I thought they were relevant and maybe at least someone was a little entertained.

P.S. Ryan Smith from West Genny is gonna be a Puppy for the Danes come Fall '18 and I think he has the potential to become another UA 2 way middie. It's also coach Messere's final year coaching at Genny and they have a really good team. It's been a while since WG has won a NY State Championship... Maybe all the planets will align for me and WG and the Danes both go out on top...

I happen to know that a guy I played FB with donated at LEAST that much to build the stadium - before the Casey's gave their 10 Mil gift.