UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2022 NCAA D1 Spring LAX Scrimmage Schedule

Any update on Saturday 2/5 scrimmage @ Colgate listed as 4:30. Does Colgate have an indoor practice/game facility?? Weather is NOT encouraging Friday/Saturday.

I would consider going to the scrimmage, if I knew it was definitely ON and weather permitting. Could use some information, if anyone knows?

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Any update on Saturday 2/5 scrimmage @ Colgate listed as 4:30. Does Colgate have an indoor practice/game facility?? Weather is NOT encouraging Friday/Saturday.

I would consider going to the scrimmage, if I knew it was definitely ON and weather permitting. Could use some information, if anyone knows?

I believe and I will try to confirm, but the game against Colgate is in Albany at the Affirm indoor facility out by the airport. I was told a 4pm start against Colgate and there is supposed to be a 2nd scrimmage the following week, and I will try to track down someone who knows the details.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I believe and I will try to confirm, but the game against Colgate is in Albany at the Affirm indoor facility out by the airport. I was told a 4pm start against Colgate and there is supposed to be a 2nd scrimmage the following week, and I will try to track down someone who knows the details.

2018, THANKS for the information. GLAD you are staying involved!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 4:46 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Confirmed the scrimmage is here at Affirm at 4pm this Saturday and Brown next Saturday supposedly in Affirm and will check back on the start time.

Thanks for the info.

I was at yesterdays scrimmage. Score was kept by qtr:  UA took a quick 4 nothing lead, after which Colgate took a time out and the qtr ended 5-4 UA up.  3-3, 3-4, 1-3; so Colgate up 12-14 after 4. They played a 5th qtr which UA dominated 6-1.  Not that a final score means too much in a scrimmage but I guess, you can say UA lost by two or won by three.

Briefly:  I thought UA's clear game was very BAD. Not that I could keep stats, but I'd guess in the neighborhood 75%, while Colgate near 100% clear %age. Face-offs:  I estimate at 50-50; but if UA maintained possession on a significant # of face-ofs that UA appeared to win, but turned over immediately [never been sure if these are counted as F/O wins or loses]; my estimate might be way off??  Accordingly, ground balls still need A LOT of work. 

Offensively, UA got a lot of scoring from a number of different players. #24 Jack Pucci had a goal & 4 assists [sat near his parents so pretty sure total is accurate.] #2 Whitcomb (freshman) had at least one goal, maybe two. Hogg & Tucker multiple goals and assists. I did not see Corey Yunker at all, not even sure he suited {injury ??} Camden Hay played only the 4th qtr, but I believe he did score UA's loan 4th qtr goal. Camden seemed tentative and did not appear to defend against Colgate clear attempts a number of times. Not being critical, it may be they are bringing him along slowly.  I known in fall ball, his play was limited because of an  injury. Speaking of the 4th qtr, if time of possession was a stat in lax, Colgate had the ball maybe 12 out of 15 minutes.

This leads me to the defense. I actually was pleasantly surprised. UA did give up 15 goals in 5 qtrs, but I thought the D played very well overall. Overall Colgate (especially in qtrs 3&4) seemed to dominate time of possession. A # of their goals were late in the shot clock. UA's D did result in several Colgate shot clock violations. UA's number 1 goalie did not play at all and the two back-ups made some nice saves. Don't know enough about goal tending techniques etc, but IF both goalies would catch more cleanly and NOT give up as many rebounds and second/third attempts UA's D would certainly be better off. Not being critical, easier said than done I"m sure. BUT where both were very BAD is on clear attempts. I am sure Ramos will be step up here.  5 of Colgate goals were scored by one man [#33.] 33 had 3 wrap around goals, 2 directly after Colgate time outs, meaning they were probably called plays from the bench. One of his goals was off a long pass from face-off circle. Not sure I've ever seen this, the fogo won it clean took maybe a step and fired a ½ field pass to 33 on the doorstep. 

So all considering, I feel there's hope for the Defense. And still feel the offense, even though Scot worries they don't have a stud, will be amazing. Disagreements, additions, contradictions on this summary and all things lacrosse ALWAYS welcomed

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dslyank said:

I was at yesterdays scrimmage. Score was kept by qtr:  UA took a quick 4 nothing lead, after which Colgate took a time out and the qtr ended 5-4 UA up.  3-3, 3-4, 1-3; so Colgate up 12-14 after 4. They played a 5th qtr which UA dominated 6-1.  Not that a final score means too much in a scrimmage but I guess, you can say UA lost by two or won by three.

Briefly:  I thought UA's clear game was very BAD. Not that I could keep stats, but I'd guess in the neighborhood 75%, while Colgate near 100% clear %age. Face-offs:  I estimate at 50-50; but if UA maintained possession on a significant # of face-ofs that UA appeared to win, but turned over immediately [never been sure if these are counted as F/O wins or loses]; my estimate might be way off??  Accordingly, ground balls still need A LOT of work. 

Offensively, UA got a lot of scoring from a number of different players. #24 Jack Pucci had a goal & 4 assists [sat near his parents so pretty sure total is accurate.] #2 Whitcomb (freshman) had at least one goal, maybe two. Hogg & Tucker multiple goals and assists. I did not see Corey Yunker at all, not even sure he suited {injury ??} Camden Hay played only the 4th qtr, but I believe he did score UA's loan 4th qtr goal. Camden seemed tentative and did not appear to defend against Colgate clear attempts a number of times. Not being critical, it may be they are bringing him along slowly.  I known in fall ball, his play was limited because of an  injury. Speaking of the 4th qtr, if time of possession was a stat in lax, Colgate had the ball maybe 12 out of 15 minutes.

This leads me to the defense. I actually was pleasantly surprised. UA did give up 15 goals in 5 qtrs, but I thought the D played very well overall. Overall Colgate (especially in qtrs 3&4) seemed to dominate time of possession. A # of their goals were late in the shot clock. UA's D did result in several Colgate shot clock violations. UA's number 1 goalie did not play at all and the two back-ups made some nice saves. Don't know enough about goal tending techniques etc, but IF both goalies would catch more cleanly and NOT give up as many rebounds and second/third attempts UA's D would certainly be better off. Not being critical, easier said than done I"m sure. BUT where both were very BAD is on clear attempts. I am sure Ramos will be step up here.  5 of Colgate goals were scored by one man [#33.] 33 had 3 wrap around goals, 2 directly after Colgate time outs, meaning they were probably called plays from the bench. One of his goals was off a long pass from face-off circle. Not sure I've ever seen this, the fogo won it clean took maybe a step and fired a ½ field pass to 33 on the doorstep. 

So all considering, I feel there's hope for the Defense. And still feel the offense, even though Scot worries they don't have a stud, will be amazing. Disagreements, additions, contradictions on this summary and all things lacrosse ALWAYS welcomed

As is usual Marr did play about everyone.  I was near a bunch of parents and Logan Tucker's grandfather.  I was pleasantly surprised by Kellan Seneca - played better than my expectations ------- Coach Marr played lines by quarter and subbed accordingly.  New FOGO from Onondaga CC wore #27, not on the roster has only been at school for a couple of weeks - VERY quick - and aggressive.  Regan has some work - I was next to his dad most of the scrimmage.  He said FOGO has been an issue during fall ball and pre-season.   Agree clear needs LOTs of improvement. 

Goalie wearing # 34 not on roster OR maybe he has a new number!   Logan Tucker had 4 goals, Hogg had two I think.   Attack did try to force a couple of inside passes where there was no lane - lost the ball.  BUT there were a couple of great passes inside too.

#8 sophomore, Jack Vanvalkenburgh had some GREAT saves in goal.

Defense was much better than I expected based on comments from guys who were at fall-ball.  Aggressive.  Still allowing the step around goals from the defensive left side - 5 or 6 ???  Def. was aggressive as they need to be.  A LOT of bad passes by LS Middies and LS Defense late.   

Several freshman guys looked good when in there.  #48 on Def. Conlon Crowley made a couple of good plays - knocked the ball away and got the ground ball.   His dad was next to me - from Vestal, near Binghamton where I grew up.  Amos Whitcomb #2 looked very good on attack.    #5 Adam Thistlethwaite looked good when in there as well.    #41 Parker Winky looked good on attack. There were others too but I remember those guys.

• Like 1