UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Friday Poll 7-16

Dane Pound

How should they determine the names of the new (and old) athletic facilities on campus?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking of this after Robert Morris starting building their new football stadium and decided to name it after currect head coach Joe Walton.

The new lacrosse field is supposed to be named after it's benefactor. I hope the name changing continues. To me no less thought could have been put into these names than University Field, Varsity Field and Albany Field. I would much rather see coaches or alumni honored with a name than keep those generic sounding names for much longer.

Well, we know lax will be FALLON Field based on the donation. I like that name.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Football stadium should go only in two ways:

Bob Ford Stadium; or named after a huge donor/corp and the field named afte coach (Ford Field at Key Bank Stadium).

Same w/ hoops. The RACC is terrible. It should be named: The Sauers Center (love that ring), or Richard Sauers Arena. If need be, corp names should be added, ie. "Sauers Court at the Verizon Center."

I also believe some banners are long overdue. A few in particular come to mind. It is time to build on some tradition. The following should adorn the fields, stadiums:

The ECAC Football Squad (Ruler ;) ). The other UA NCAA team. The TWO EFC Football Titles. A ring of honor, or signage around the new stadium would be nice. BC has simple placard dasher boards stating their Bowl Appearances.

The UA hoop NCAA, ECAC playoff squads....particularly a banner from the ELITE 8 team.

A banner recognizing Doc Sauers 702 wins should be hanging from the rafters.

The LAX championship titles.

Same w/ TRACK and FIELD.

GIVE RECRUITS, PARENTS, FRESHMAN WHO HAVE NO CLUE, and RECRUITS A FEELING OF....HOLY $iena, I didnt realize UA was a bigtime sports program. Even though most people wont know these coaches or DIII/DII squads by name, it will still give us a bigtime feel.

Although I'd prefer naming fields after coaches, it's already known that naming rights are for sale (donor or corporate). Still, I'd prefer a real, locally identifiable name (Freihofer, Fucillo) to a made-up corporate-speak name like Verizatech or, say, Enron. But money will have the final say.

If the master plan has facilities close together, some kind of Walk of Fame connecting them would give a chance of continuing fund-raising, donors getting their names carved in the bricks or on markers along the route - as long as the bricks last longer than those on the Albany pedestrian footbridge downtown.