UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2004-05 America East Championships

statefan

As for SECURITY, the RACC is one of the more unsecure venues I would imagine in all of college sports.  There are a handful of state troopers and/or campus security guards in the corners of the arena, but if some idiot wanted to start throwing things or go out onto the court, he would be mostly unfettered.  A comical routine of the officers chasing him while he ran around on the court would ensue.  There is no security on either baseline for the most part during the game.

Please don't discuss things that you have no experience with or knowledge of. The only state troopers at basketball games are the ones that go as fans, of which there are a number. Go to any other venue in the AE and then come back and let us know how much more secure those facilities are. Fact is, AE basketball does not need or warrant TSA type security. Ask anyone who has gone to away games and they will tell you. The other facilities are in pretty much the same state as the RACC when it comes to security or lack there of. By the way when was the last time that a RACC crowd was witness to some idiot throwing things on the court or leading UPD officers on a comical chase. Stop imagining how things are in other places and check out the facts.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarge...D2k is a wanna be who knows nothing! Period! He has been to many conference titles in Afghanistan to compare the security procedures that UA will need to host an event in the underworld of the Capital District.

Edited by Dane96

Those are all fine, but again not you're either skewing facts or ignoring them completely.

-----------

BASKETBALL

1.) Comparing the RACC to any of the venues you have named is like comparing Apples to Roach bait, but I'll continue along since there are still inaccuracies in what you've posted so far along these lines.

2.) The Cameron Indoor photo clearly shows about 10-12 feet of room between the behind-the-basket student section and the actual court. UAlbany has about 2-3 feet of room at most.

Their most prominent student section is opposite the benches, so that the fans are clearly on display for the cameras, which face that side of the court. The side sections don't matter, becuase you have benches or a scorer's table in between the fans and the game action. The end lines have ample room for the players to maneuver on the baseline, and the crowd is not in the way at all.

3.) Sarge spouts off about security not being needed at a UAlbany game ... which is true. There are not enough fans. But for a confernece tournament, that's another story. And of course the point about the fan running rampant was made up, but the point is that it could happen with little or no resistance. All it takes is one crazy person. I'm just making points, whether you think they apply or not, the confernce doesn't totally ignore security and potential problems like that.

--------------

BASEBALL

4.) The photos you posted of all the baseball stadiums are nice, except that they have probably 50% more room (that's being generous) behind the backstop between the dugouts. Also, the dugouts are sunk into the ground, which allows for better sightlines for the seats close to the dugouts looking down the lines. At UAlbany, the dugouts are closer together, there isn't as much room behind home plate, and they are not sunk in at all.

5.) "Again, this is 4,000 seats." Actually, no its not. Mahaney Diamond added seats down the lines to get capacity up to 4,000, which wouldn't be possible at UAlbany due to the hill down left field line and the shed currently in the way down the right field line. So the photo provided is not 4,000 seats, it's roughly half of that behind home plate. Their bleachers also reach significantly higher than the Hofstra photo ... details of this can be found in the TEXT on the Maine page, rather than just posting the photo and not reading.

6.) The Hofstra softball complex pictured on that page doesn't have chairbacks. (Quote: "Bleacher seating behind home plate, from dugout to dugout, accommodates nearly 1,000 spectators"). Again, that pesky text comes into play.

7.) That 2,500 total for McCarthy Field includes bleacher seats down both foul lines, which, again, isn't likely possible at UAlbany. Words to go with photos. What a bore.

----------------

If they could add the 1,000 bleacher seats shown on the Hofstra page, that would be great. But it's a far cry from 2,500 .... 2,000 ... and 4,000 ... the numbers that were talked about in previous posts.

Also, again, you talked about ease of construction and cost. You've said nothing to the point that it cost about $50,000 for 500 seats at lacrosse-soccer. I don't know that the department has $100-150,000 laying around for a baseball-only facility.

And finally, as with any construciton project on campus, it can't be thrown together. You saw how long it has taken to get the scoreboard in place at baseball. The ground freeze in the northeast limits what time can be spent constructing the blachers, so I don't think they can be "thrown up in a couple of weeks" as you suggested.

I also find it funny that while you can take the time to post photos, you don't analyze the photo at all, you quote seating numbers that include bleachers not in the photo, and you have to resort to name-calling and insults to get your point across, rather than being realistic, presenting plans and, to be frank, being a man about it.

It's fine to believe you're right, but I find it comical at best that the only retorts you can come up with are personal insults (and not even good ones at that: "wanna be" and "asswipe", are two terms I haven't heard, for good reason, in a long time). Then you remove them so "the other board members don't have to see them". Or is it that you regret posting something that might make you out to be the classless individual that you actually are, where you have to anonymously resort to name-calling over something that doesn't even matter?

3.) Sarge spouts off about security not being needed at a UAlbany game ... which is true.  There are not enough fans.  But for a confernece tournament, that's another story.  And of course the point about the fan running rampant was made up, but the point is that it could happen with little or no resistance.  All it takes is one crazy person.  I'm just making points, whether you think they apply or not, the confernce doesn't totally ignore security and potential problems like that.

OK - I must spout off again. You are not making points you are spreading hyperbole. Have you been to any of the AE conference championships? Have you been to any smaller conference championships? There was NO SECURITY at the mens basketball tourney in BOSTON. All your "points" re:SECURITY would apply to every facility in the AE that would be a possible host for the any of the championships. Once again, please don't go on about things YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT. Your opinion is one thing but your credibility is taking a severe hit.

By the way...

What happened to the locker rooms at the court level of the RACC? They were there when it was completed. The web site makes it appear that they are still there - "The RACC also houses numerous team and general use locker rooms, as well as an indoor practice facility for the women's golf team." What gives?

DF2k3 you are becoming the DFFF (Dayton Flyer Football Fan) of this board. If you don't know what I'm talking about check out the Don Hansen Football Site. He still swears that Albany football helmets have the same color scheme as the Miami Dolphins.

Also -Dane96 is pretty funny.

Again, Sarge, if I had more time I would not only concur w/ your assesment, but I would destroy the lack of logic Mr. D2k shows.

Facts: D2k you have zero credibility.

Why? First, you state that we can't fit x amount of seats. Wrong. Second, you state the school might not have money. You may be right, but you dont know that. Third, why wouldn't the school support its baseball team. Good field/stands gets good recruits. But then again, UA should only spend $$ on hoops in your opinion (that is based on it being the only sport you haven't said a bad thing about).

Finally, you state now that there is 2-3 feet of room in the RACC. I believe that was my comment. You originally said the stands "touched the supports", clearly untrue according to your new comments. You are worse than a politician changing w/ the wind.

I must concur with Sarge...there are lockerrooms at the RACC at ground level. However their are vistor locker rooms at the Field level. Those may be used in season...but during tourney time...bet your butt that the "soccer lockerroom" would be cleared out.

Finally, all you had to say was: I AM WRONG ABOUT CAMERON. But no, you had to guestimate "10-12" feet (very off btw). You still havent spotted the issue. It is a very hostile facility in which the fans are on top of the players, they are students, and they are rowdy. Only at Maryland (unfortunately I have had to witness this) do students toss water bottles. Then again, Carlos Boozer turned out to be trash anyway....but that is off topic. The point is....YOU HAVE NO POINT. You just spout crap to spout it.

Maybe if you are nice, I will take you to a Terp-Blue Devil game so you can experience how hostile things can get when students are right near the court.

BTW, continuing Sarge's masterful dismantling of your nonsense, when UA hosted the Tourney, yes I know it was "only DIII...thus the NCAA doesnt care", there was so much security it wasn't even funny. And just to prove you know jack $iena, one of the players who I was recruited with transferred to NYU. He was a 7 footer who sucked at UA and sucked at NYU. The fans really got on him because of it...but the two UPD officers at the North End bleachers gave looks to those very drunk students, all frat brothers...and nothing happened. The fans also did not taunt or injure opposing players when they stormed the court after the Stockton State win.

Funny thing is...my points haven't really been lucid, but at least I have an excuse right now. Come strong Aug. 2....and I will really rip into you when I can concentrate for more than 30 seconds.

BUT YOU KNOW IT ALL....RIGHT?!

Edited by Dane96

Those are all fine, but again not you're either skewing facts or ignoring them completely.

--------------

BASEBALL

4.) The photos you posted of all the baseball stadiums are nice, except that they have probably 50% more room (that's being generous) behind the backstop between the dugouts.  Also, the dugouts are sunk into the ground, which allows for better sightlines for the seats close to the dugouts looking down the lines.  At UAlbany, the dugouts are closer together, there isn't as much room behind home plate, and they are not sunk in at all. 

5.) "Again, this is 4,000 seats."  Actually, no its not.  Mahaney Diamond added seats down the lines to get capacity up to 4,000, which wouldn't be possible at UAlbany due to the hill down left field line and the shed currently in the way down the right field line.  So the photo provided is not 4,000 seats, it's roughly half of that behind home plate.  Their bleachers also reach significantly higher than the Hofstra photo ... details of this can be found in the TEXT on the Maine page, rather than just posting the photo and not reading.

7.) That 2,500 total for McCarthy Field includes bleacher seats down both foul lines, which, again, isn't likely possible at UAlbany.  Words to go with photos.  What a bore.

Why D2k is a bumbling idiot...part Deux.

1) Maine---you are correct my friend, but what, oh, what's that....UA has right and left field line. Oh my god...what else is that....Maine added a mere 1200 seats total. That bring the stands you see to 2800...good enough to host a championship.

2)What's that? NO SEATS AT MCCARTHY DOWN THE LINES. How would one know that...wow...the pics clearly show it. Also if you went to a game there you would know it as well. Guess you have to get off the crapper and put your magazine down once in awhile. Right 2k? Oh but wait...I am a future lawyer who parses words.

Here you go...reading for imbiciles vol. 1. "It consists solely of aluminum bleachers (without backs) down both foul lines as well as behind home plate." Oh my g-d...now if you put it w/ the picture...what do you get. Seats from Home to first down the foul line and seats from Home to third, down the foul line...with seats behind home plate.

WOW...that takes alot.

3)Oh my god...Dugouts...sunk in the ground. They make backhoes to due that? You mean you can bring in pre-fab constuction pieces? Holy cow....what happen to little Italians like D96's granddad who laid a dugout one brick at a time!

And you can move dugouts? Holy Siena!

By the way, all grammahtical errors were placed just for you to have something to truly rip me about.

Edited by Dane96

"FANS....D96 just keeps pounding away at D2k....though 2k gets a couple of nice taps to the head, he is getting hit with a monster left hook for each punch 2k throws"

Guess the design at St. Bonnie is illegal (St. John's as well). Seems like that backboard stansion is a lil' close for the "legal requirements"!

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/specials/RCwideshot.JPG

Same w/ the famous other "RACC" at Rutgers.

How bout UF?

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/specials/fl...loridaarena.jpg

Guess they should shut down Kansas's Phogg Allen!

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/OTHER/Arenas.htm

Bucknell

http://bucknellbison.collegesports.com/fac...rec-center.html

Man I can do this all night...its fun!

http://www.holycross.edu/departments/athle...e/facility.html

Dane96 and Sarge - I have sat here long enough and heard your idiotic rants that its time to weigh in.

Point 1. When was the last time you visited the Albany campus? D2K3 and I are there everyday and neither one of are blind, so I think we both have a better idea than someone who asked last week where to park near the Pepsi arena.

Point 2. You illustrate all these courts, one of which looked liked a photo from the early days of the court, to try and prove your point about how close the fans are to the hoops, yet none of the pics are clear enough to prove anything. In fact, when I looked at the pictures, I saw definite walking room behind the baskets where at UA you have to walk on the court to get to the other side. Other notes: Most of the teams you showed have cheerleaders, a pom pom squad, pep band, media and photographers along the baseline ... the pic on the UAlbany site only shows the far bleachers pulled out, since I guess the near bleachers were broken ... lastly, I too have been to several arenas, including Comcast Center, so I know what other places look like and UA is the first place where I literally thought students or fans could shake the support (granted there has to be fans first).

Point 3. Regarding the baseball field. You mention seats down the left field line. Have you seen the left field line lately, most of its on a hill unless you want the stands placed on the hill which features a running path. I think someone may have problems with that. So that makes the leftfield line non-existent. Now the right field line is a possibility, but that means cramming all the seats in between the home dugout, storage shack and next to the bullpen. Behind the plate is not an option, since that is where the press box needs to go.

Point 4. Regarding Mahaney Diamond. As you pointed out it was once the home of the Blue Ox and until this year the Lumberjacks, both of which are professional baseball teams. Do you think a little more effort is going to go into a professional baseball stadium rather than a unversity diamond? I can recall numerous times that I saw the baseball coaches riding around on lawn mowers and cleaning the field on a game day. Do you think Maine's head coach is doing that?

Point 5. Regarding the Joe. D2K3 does state there are seats down the lines there. Read what he said again.

Point 6. Regarding the lockerroom problem. If I recall correctly, there are two lockerrooms on the ground floor of the RACC, the men's and women's basketball team. In the hallway off of the court, starting with the training room in the middle to the right you have: stairwell, elevator, door, women's bball lockerroom, door, racquetball courts. To the left you have: stairs, custodian's office, door, men's bball lockerroom, door, handball courts. Where is this mysterious women's soccer lockerroom? Are you going to tell Trina that her team has to clear out near the end of the season?

Point 7. A media room. Right now the press could use the Hall of Fame room, but why are they going to run upstairs to file stories and such? Plus you would need several working phone lines so that more than two people can send stories at the same time.

Point 8. How many other conference championships have you been too? I have been to several and basketball is one of the few that you need to be accomodating to all the teams needs. Most of the other teams can hop on the bus and go back to the hotel to shower and such, there isn't a media demand like at basketball.

Point 9. Money. How are all these projects being funded? Karen did a great job of creating a Capital Campaign to benefit the school, but forget that Athletics needs money too. I don't remember too many kids from my high school stating "Albany is my first choice" Now I am not against improving the school, but its a state school and kids see it like that. Spend money on making the Athletic Department look good, more and more kids will want to come. Half-ass the effort and the students will feel the same.

Point 10. Fans. In order for there to be money, there need to be fans. How do you propose this happen? Albany hosted a football championship game and the stands looked empty. Yes it was cold, but do you think that stops fans at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State or Nebraska? You could give each student $10 dollars to attend a hoops game and they still wouldn't come. Its Division I hoops and fans don't care.

Lastly, I seriously hope that once you pass the bar you are better prepared in the courtroom than you are on the message board. Do some research, scout locations, etc. Would you base your defense of a client on pictures or would you visit the site and actually walk around? While, D2K3 may have had some invalid claims about security, at least he illustrated his points with knowledge he has from being on the campus.

I asked for parking info becuase i havent been downtown inf three years....the campus only a year ago.

My last job, in case you were wondeing, was consulting work for a major sports company. I have been to nearly 150 arenas across the country. That company...OCSN, formally fans only, a subsidiary of Student Advantage. I assure you, those pics are pretty on point. I also assure you that at many schools you can touch the supports.

Enough of this argument already!

You have missed the entire point. D2k rips UA constantly and pretty much insinuates that the administration is not proactive and couldnt put a thought together in order to host an event. He rips facilities. He is clearly in the minority...and for all I care...he can stay there.

BTW...no one talked about the Joe. We were talking about McCarthy field, home of the Rhode Island Tiger Sharks. It's in Warwick, RI.

Edited by Dane96

As for passing the bar...that is harder than pointing out that both you and D2k have some wonderfully weak inconsistant statements. Instead of conceding facts, he continues to spout crap.

Don't defend him if he is wrong.

Again...DIII, 4000 fans...are you kidding? The community wouldnt come out for that same type of tourney at the DI level.

You both sound like Johnny come lately's

Guess the fans aren't right on the court at Rose Hill. Must be illegal per NCAA rules right?

http://www.fordhamsports.com/static_files/...ilities/gym.asp

Western Michigan (just renovated I might add)

http://www.wmubroncos.com/facilities/

Check out behind where one goal would be at the Pyramid.

http://www.longbeachstate.com/local/facili...es/pyramid.html

Talk about reaching out and touching someone

http://utahstateaggies.collegesports.com/s...t-spectrum.html

I mean I could keep on going if you want me to be "factual"!

How 'bout one of the most famous in the land

http://www.hoopsjunkie.net/images/hinkle.jpg

Even better....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

For the nimrods...the RAC, otherwise known as the Louis Brown Center

http://www.scarletknights.com/facilities/f...ilities-rac.htm

AND THE GRANDDADDY OF 'EM All (awesome place to see a game)

http://www.virtualalbuquerque.com/VirtualA...Pit/ThePit1.jpg

Tell me those peach baskets are not right on the fans.

NEXT!

Edited by Dane96

Point 2.  lastly, I too have been to several arenas, including Comcast Center, so I know what other places look like and UA is the first place where I literally thought students or fans could shake the support (granted there has to be fans first).

Point 3. Regarding the baseball field. You mention seats down the left field line. Have you seen the left field line lately, most of its on a hill unless you want the stands placed on the hill which features a running path.  I think someone may have problems with that.  So that makes the leftfield line non-existent. Now the right field line is a possibility, but that means cramming all the seats in between the home dugout, storage shack and next to the bullpen. Behind the plate is not an option, since that is where the press box needs to go.

Point 4. Regarding Mahaney Diamond. As you pointed out it was once the home of the Blue Ox and until this year the Lumberjacks, both of which are professional baseball teams.  Do you think a little more effort is going to go into a professional baseball stadium rather than a unversity diamond?  I can recall numerous times that I saw the baseball coaches riding around on lawn mowers and cleaning the field on a game day.  Do you think Maine's head coach is doing that?

Point 5. Regarding the Joe. D2K3 does state there are seats down the lines there.  Read what he said again.

Point 7. A media room. Right now the press could use the Hall of Fame room, but why are they going to run upstairs to file stories and such?  Plus you would need several working phone lines so that more than two people can send stories at the same time.

Point 8. How many other conference championships have you been too?  I have been to several and basketball is one of the few that you need to be accomodating to all the teams needs.  Most of the other teams can hop on the bus and go back to the hotel to shower and such, there isn't a media demand like at basketball.

Point 9. Money.  How are all these projects being funded?  Karen did a great job of creating a Capital Campaign to benefit the school, but forget that Athletics needs money too.  I don't remember too many kids from my high school stating "Albany is my first choice" Now I am not against improving the school, but its a state school and kids see it like that.  Spend money on making the Athletic Department look good, more and more kids will want to come. Half-ass the effort and the students will feel the same.

Point 10. Fans.  In order for there to be money, there need to be fans.  How do you propose this happen?  Albany hosted a football championship game and the stands looked empty.  Yes it was cold, but do you think that stops fans at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State or Nebraska? You could give each student $10 dollars to attend a hoops game and they still wouldn't come.   Its Division I hoops and fans don't care.

Lastly, I seriously hope that once you pass the bar you are better prepared in the courtroom than you are on the message board. Do some research, scout locations, etc. Would you base your defense of a client on pictures or would you visit the site and actually walk around?  While, D2K3 may have had some invalid claims about security, at least he illustrated his points with knowledge he has from being on the campus.

Point 4....you obviously dont know how cheap that league is.

Point 2....interesting. Get those tix on ebay or have a friend who is an alumn? If not...your full of crap because the Comcast Center has been sold out since before the building was completed. Students now have to camp out, Pols and donors got the next best seats, and a very limited amount of tickets are available for season ticket purchase only...alumns having first dibs. If you dont believe me, call my sister and see how much she will charge for her seats because of the demand.

Point 3...that hill has been there since the fields inception. Forgot, you cant build on or near hills...just not possible. Can you possibly be more silly? The pressbox cant go on top of the stands....like every single other field in America and the rest of the sport playing world. What, you think they are putting a little box on the ground level? Do you go to Albany, if so the admissions department needs to add logic games to its standards.

Again..Point 5....we werent talking about the Joe. Reading is fundamental, you know?! (That is rhetorical in case you were wondering)!

Point 7....the offices of the RACC and the media room in the RACC (unless it exists no more) are there for a reason.

Point 8....lets see, I am going to guess you go to UA (since you are on campus all day). I am 30, I have been going to hoop games (DI) since I was about 6 (ST. John's). I have been to more Big East championships then you could imagine. I have been to the America East championships (doubt you have or you would not be defending D2k). I have been to the SEC championships, the NCAA Elite 8 (DI and DIII), the NECC championships, etc. etc. Shall I continue w/ my qualifications. I have been to the Orange Bowl (worked there for the committee), the Sugar Bowl, the Fiesta Bowl. I was an intern for the lead administrator at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, spending three months in the bullpen of the MPC (main press center). I have even been to national Volleyball championships. Dude...you are barking up the wrong tree. Oh again, I forgot, you saw how UA put on its playoff run hosting for both the ECAC's and the NCAA's (all w/ over 2000 fans), some w/ 4000 fans).

Point 9...you have a point...but let's get real, the money is going to come from alumni (see Fallon Field, $250k donation) and other corporate sponsors. Karen was great, but this run was started by Milt Richards and President Swygert. She had nothing to do w/ getting the ball rolling. Now it is up to Dr. McElroy to work his angles. Considering I have gotten first hand insight on his persona (a law buddy played hoops at American) I have full faith that the gentleman in that office upstair from the court, will get the job done, just like Sac State and just like American. You know what a coup it was to get that school into the Patriot league?

Point 10- fans. You again dont have a clue. Winners bring fans, big teams bring fans, tourney's bring fans. I remember football games w/ 6000 fans (Ithaca, Union, etc.). Hoops....see the Growl, the NCAA tourney, etc. Now kids from your high school might not make it a first choice...but other do. W/ 17,000 plus, and an estimated 21k in a few years...I think UA is just fine. Plus....notoriety gets you students. Long before you were thinking about hooking up and drinking, UA was a destination, ranked as one of the best party schools in the land....#5 I believe at one point.

Now as for the football championship...I think you are referring to the EFC versus AIC. Interesting...the temp was only below zero w/ the windchill and the school had to get out plows for the field (over 18 inches fell that night). So keep talking smack.

It's ok to have a different opinion, this is the land of freedom, but you best back it up...and your points, much like 2k's are ridonkulous at best. I am presuming Sarge is an officer. Now let me get this straight....he does not know what he is talking about...but you do? Please.

As for my legal skills...I worked on a team that brought in over 18 million dollars in fees and verdicts, and we are not into August yet. After all is said and done and after expenses paid, that is one team out of 7, bringing in 7.2mm or so for our company. I was in charge of a staff of four, answering only to my boss. I think I am just fine, but thanks for worrying for me. What have you accomplished lately?

As for being on the campus, w/ over 14 years of Albany experience, not to mention a deer hunting camp about 30 miles away (attending since I was a tyke), I think I know the Albany campus just fine.

Goodday!

Edited by Dane96