UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2023-2024 UAlbany MLAX Fall Lacrosse, 2024 Spring Schedule and Things of Note

14 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Thanks.Ā  What time is it??

Ā 

The scrimmage is at 1pm @ Casey.

Parking is at Dutch. Broadview will be for basketball/purple growl. You can try to park there if you have a basketball parking pass; but be sure to only SHOW the pass, DO NOT let them scan it; or you will not be able to leave and come back later. I have had this issue before, when multiple events are on the same day. Unless they have corrected/fixed the no-reentry parking policy, you have to negotiate with the attendant to let you enter without scanning the pass.
Ā 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dslyank said:

The scrimmage is at 1pm @ Casey.

Parking is at Dutch. Broadview will be for basketball/purple growl. You can try to park there if you have a basketball parking pass; but be sure to only SHOW the pass, DO NOT let them scan it; or you will not be able to leave and come back later. I have had this issue before, when multiple events are on the same day. Unless they have corrected/fixed the no-reentry parking policy, you have to negotiate with the attendant to let you enter without scanning the pass.
Ā 

Thanks.

Ā 

Scores for matches involving AE MLAX for Saturday:

Saturday, February 3, 2024Ā Men's Lacrosse
Ā  Away Home Result Location Links
Ā 
Ā 
Final
North Andover, Mass. Box ScoreĀ Full Game Archive
Ā 
NJITNJIT10
Ā 
Final
Queens, NY Box Score
Ā 
Ā 
Final
Syracuse, NY Box Score

UALBANY MENā€™S LACROSSE

Ā 

Carneyā€™s debut a ā€˜full circleā€™ moment

Sophomore attack transfers from Canisius to Danes program that was his first choice

Ā 

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F02%2F07&id=Pc0100700&ext=.jpg&ts=20240207074320
Lori Van Buren/Times Union

UAlbany transfer Kevin Carney, 13, was not recruited by the Danes out of Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake High School.

ALBANY ā€” Ballston Lakeā€™s Kevin Carney played his final high school lacrosse match at the University at Albany. He didnā€™t really want to go anywhere else for college.

Not recruited by the Great Danes out of Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Carney ended up playing for Canisius as a freshman. While he had a solid season, the Golden Griffins went 2-13.

Carney entered the NCAA transfer portal after the season and finally landed at UAlbany, where heā€™s a sophomore attack for the Great Danes.

ā€œIā€™ve always kind of wanted to play here and itā€™s really come full circle,ā€ he said.

Carney will make his UAlbany debut in the opener Feb. 17 against Colgate at Casey Stadium, where he saw his high school career end with a 16-5 loss to Manhasset in the Class C state semifinals in 2022.

ā€œObviously, being closer to home was a big factor and then you know being part of this culture has been everything I could ask for,ā€ Carney said. ā€œCoach (Scott) Marr is, in my opinion, the best to do it at the college level, so that was a huge part.ā€

Carney said he heard from UAlbany about a month after he went into the portal. He visited the school and chose the Great Danes after also taking trips to Siena and UMass.

ā€œWhen (Carney) was a junior in high school, he was probably talking to other people and the guys we have on the team now had committed,ā€ Marr explained. ā€œRecruitingā€™s a funny thing, but sometimes things work in funny ways to get him back here. Iā€™m really happy that heā€™s with us. Heā€™s a tremendous player. He does a really nice job of moving off the ball and finishing the ball and it seems like heā€™s fit in pretty well with us. And heā€™s right in the mix with four or five attackmen that are going to play this year, so heā€™s done a really nice job.ā€

At Canisius, Carney had 16 goals and eight assists and made the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference All-Rookie Team. But he had to endure more losses in one season than the 12 defeats he experienced in his entire high school career in lacrosse (45-10) and football (30-2).

ā€œOf course, that definitely factored in,ā€ Carney said. ā€œNo one really likes losing, but like I said, it was just a culture piece.ā€

Carney also liked the idea of being reunited at UAlbany with Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake alumni Darien and younger brother Caeden La-Pietro.

ā€œLove to have another Burnt Hills guy on the team,ā€ said Darien LaPietro, a graduate midfielder. ā€œKevin expressed his interest in coming here and I just kind of helped him out through the process of talking about what itā€™s like here, what the cultureā€™s like. Academically how heā€™s going to fit in, doing school business. Really good opportunity for Kevin.ā€

LaPietro said Carney is a ā€œsuper-dynamicā€ player and hard worker who can score with either hand.

Marr described Carney last month as someone ā€œwho doesnā€™t say boo,ā€ other than to ask questions.

ā€œI just try to go about my business and help the guys out in any way I can,ā€ Carney said.

At Canisius, Carney played in front of an average home crowd of 330 people. With a much larger enrollment, UAlbany averaged almost five times that last season (1,416), and Carney expects a strong family turnout.

ā€œThey did make it out to a ton of games (in Buffalo), but itā€™s definitely more convenient being 30 minutes away and they can just hop in the car and come down,ā€ Carney said. ā€œSo itā€™s super nice.ā€

One week out, two things expect next Saturday: Colder weather and a very good Colgate MLAX team,

From Inside Lacrosse:

Tier 4: Final Four Contenders If Things Break Right

23. Colgate +50000
This strikes me as absolutely insane. Do I think Colgate has a realistic shot to advance to Championship Weekend? Not really. But you know whose odds are twice as good as the Raiders'? Marist and Mercer. No disrespect to the Red Foxes or Bears, but do either of those teams have a win over a team that advanced to the 2023 Final Four? No.

And for what itā€™s worth, what I saw from Colgateā€™s win over Penn State and loss to Syracuse on Monday night was devoid of flukiness. The Raiders can compete at the face-off X, rely on their goalie to make saves, create chaos between the lines and rely on Rory Connor, Hunter Drouin and Jack Turner to score.

I have stewed about the lack of UAlbany MLAX home games, here is make up opportunity on February 21, 2024 between Colgate and Yale currently scheduled for the UAlbany Campus:

Yale University Logo
Feb 21 (Wed)Ā 7 p.m.
Ā 
Ā 
Albany, N.Y. / UAlbany
Ā 
Colgate University Logo
Feb 21 (Wed)Ā TBD
Ā 
Ā 

Colgate

Albany, N.Y./UAlbany
Ā 

I willĀ continue to monitor this as we all know, the weather can change this.Ā  This is a rare opportunity to see the Patriot Conference and Ivy Conference best teams play here.

• Thanks 1