UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX Game 7 OOC Game 6 at Virigina Cavaliers, Klockner Stadium, Charlottesville, VA Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 4:00 PM

Not our first trip to Charlottesville, as I clearly recall a trip to Charlottesville for a 1st round NCAA match-up, did not begin or end well for UAlbany.

This time, I am hoping the Cavaliers have a letdown after their win over Maryland on Saturday.

Game is available via ACCNX and perhaps ESPN+

Mar 19 (Tue) 4:00 PM

Charlottesville, Va.

Edited by cwdickens
clarify

• cwdickens changed the title to MLAX Game 7 OOC Game 6 at Virigina Cavaliers, Klockner Stadium, Charlottesville, VA Tuesday, March 19, 2024, 4:00 PM

I did check and this game is available for streaming on the ESPN app.

UALBANY MEN’S LACROSSE

Danes to get stern test taking on No. 3 Virginia

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2024%2F03%2F19&id=Pc0090400&ext=.jpg&ts=20240319060001
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

UAlbany men’s lacrosse coach Scott Marr leads his team into third-ranked Virginia on Tuesday. The Great Danes are coming off two straight victories.

The University at Albany men’s lacrosse team is learning how to win with back-to-back victories after an 0-4 start.

The young Great Danes (2-4) will get a lesson Tuesday on how to compete against one of the nation’s top programs.

They take on third-ranked Virginia (6-1), a seven-time NCAA champion, at 4 p.m. in Charlottesville, Va.

“Just compete and to play with confidence and not to shy away from things,” said UAlbany coach Scott Marr, asked what he’d like to see aside from an upset victory. “Obviously, they’re a very, very talented team, a very athletic team, so we’re going to have to play our very best to be in the game. But again, I’ve been a part of a lot of upsets over the years.”

UAlbany has road wins over Johns Hopkins, Maryland and Syracuse, to name a few, during Marr’s 24 seasons.

The Great Danes have played Virginia just once before. The Cavaliers prevailed 23-9 in an NCAA Tournament first-round game in Charlottesville in 2005.

UAlbany began this season with three one-goal losses in its first four matches before beating Hobart 14-10 and UMass Lowell 19-8 last Saturday in the America East Conference opener.

“We’re just playing better, though,” Marr said. “We’re making way fewer mistakes.”

He said UAlbany is making its scrimmages “more game-like” in practice.

“We’re just growing in confidence, too,” Marr said. “We have so many young kids that are playing. They needed to learn how to win. It’s good that they got that Hobart win when Hobart came back and made it a game. … Then last Saturday’s game, we just got off to a great start and didn’t take the foot off the gas.”

With UAlbany in spring break, Marr felt comfortable taking his team on a long road trip to Virginia, even with a home match looming against league foe Vermont next Saturday.

“We’re on spring break, and it kind of gave us something, a little trip, a little bonding together,” Marr said. “Being together for a couple of days, and getting out of town for a couple of days, too, which is not always the worst thing in the world. … It’s a huge challenge, then we’ve got to come back and get readjusted after a long ride home. But they’re 18 to 23 years old.”

Marr worked under Virginia coach Lars Tiffany on the coaching staff of the Haudenosaunee Nationals, a Native American team, at last summer’s world championships in San Diego.

Virginia came to UAlbany’s Casey Stadium last spring and beat Georgetown in an NCAA quarterfinal. The Cavaliers are still led by graduate attack Connor Shellenberger, who has 16 goals and 21 assists. Graduate attack Payton Cormier has 25 goals.

Sophomore attack Silas Richmond paces UAlbany with 14 goals and five assists. Graduate attack Graydon Hogg and freshman attack Ryan Doherty have eight goals each.

UALBANY AT VIRGINIA

When: 4 p.m. Tuesday

Where: Klockner Stadium, Charlottesville, Va.

TV: ACCN

Our defensive lack of skill shows!!!!,  Def. getting hammered - MOST of our shots on Offense are wide??? As always.

• Like 1

The difference in ALL 4 and 5 star recruits every year vs.  none every year..  Athletisicm and talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Defense could use some coaching up. Slides/ doubles have been bad for years. Often unnecessary and poorly timed, and they don't do a good job hedging. The offense hasn't done well capitalizing on their high percentage looks, which shows in their low shooting percentage. Hogg did a lot of damage in his first couple years as an off ball shooter on the right side of the offense, I wonder if he moves back to attack. Any updates on Salit? I don't think he's dressed for any games this year, is he injured?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

Defense could use some coaching up. Slides/ doubles have been bad for years. Often unnecessary and poorly timed, and they don't do a good job hedging. The offense hasn't done well capitalizing on their high percentage looks, which shows in their low shooting percentage. Hogg did a lot of damage in his first couple years as an off ball shooter on the right side of the offense, I wonder if he moves back to attack. Any updates on Salit? I don't think he's dressed for any games this year, is he injured?

However, with these concerns about defense, my question: How did we hold Virginia to 3 goals in the first half, as much as it is stopping goals, we need to be able to score more goals and prevent big runs.  Virgina is the three-rank team in country for a reason, we did ourselves proud.  To the nick pickers, you always find your way here and take your shot at our athletes.

22 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

However, with these concerns about defense, my question: How did we hold Virginia to 3 goals in the first half, as much as it is stopping goals, we need to be able to score more goals and prevent big runs.  Virgina is the three-rank team in country for a reason, we did ourselves proud. 

++. 

13 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

Actually outplayed Virginia 3 out of 4 periods {granted much of 4th was vs VI subs). IMHO the difference in the game was @ the half UA was celebrating like a punch of middle schoolers {which in a sense they are}. UA went into halftime TOO HIGH. An experienced and more poised team would know VI was going to come out for revenge. They have one of the best coaches in the land, and I just knew he was going to straighten his team out. Not sure if he breathed fire at them or just let them sit and stew; but I said to my wife that the 3-3 game was going to be 3-8/9 before long {I hate being right.} Did bounce back a little in the fourth, but like I said too little too late and some against subs.

Still proud of the effort overall.

Also, have been asking for sometime about Salit; and noticed Whitcomb has not played in the last two games??

And for those knocking the D; IMHO the shooting %age offensively & clear %age (against good teams at least) are the two areas in need of MOST WORK.

On 3/19/2024 at 5:41 PM, HOF2013 said:

Our defensive lack of skill shows!!!!,  Def. getting hammered - MOST of our shots on Offense are wide??? As always.

23 hours ago, PrisonMike said:

From Inside Lacrosse, according to Virgina HC Lars Tiffany, the best player on the field was UAlbany's Jake Piseno from an Instagram posting: 

insidelacrosse @jakepiseno’s stat line from yesterday: 4GB, 3CT, 2G, ☝️ all-around excellent performance from No. 88 — and the opposing HC took notice. 👀🤩 (📸 @ualbanymlax | 📺 ESPN+)