UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Home attendance

I believe, but could be wrong, that since it was a regularly-scheduled game at St. Rose, pre-planned, that it counts among your home attendance.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it counts as neutral. However, since the crowd was just 1,000, not having it count actually helps the attendance figure (not factoring in how many other fans would have gone to the RACC, but I don't see it that way - it's still UAlbany, so fans should have supported them just down the road.

Edited by DaneFan2k3

Two things:

1.) By NCAA rule, to be counted as a "home" game for attendance purposes you must play in the arena regularly, or at least a few times on a regularly-scheduled basis during the season. 

If you play there just one time (Pepsi), it wouldn't matter on the attendance who was wearing home and away jerseys and controlling the tickets.  It would go down as Siena's home game since that is their regular arena, or at best a neutral site game. 

The difference is that if you played at a "neutral" site, then we could count it because it would be a one-time deal for both schools, i.e. at HVCC or something.

2.) Financially, yes, it would be nice to sell the tickets, have our season ticket holders there, and theirs paying. 

However, what leverage is there for it?  If we want to play at "their" arena, we have to play at their arena.  That's where they play all their home games. 

It's their "home" arena.

1)I don't much care about the 'home' average if we have 10,000 at a 'neutral' game - and if Dukie Vitale says the Pepsi is a home game for Syracuse in the NCAA, it can be ours in the regular season.

It could be as few as three games - La Salle plays three games at the Palestra, counts Penn as away and two others as home games. But Penn actually owns the Palestra.

2) If we pay for the arena, it's neutral or home.

The aints use the Pepsi as their home court, but IT'S NOT THEIR PRIVATE ARENA. It's a public facility open to anyone who rents it.

Next time the contract's up for renewal, show 'em the pictures of the crowd at their last few games. If we don't get any money out the game anyway, they're gonna need us more for Lanier's buyout than we need them.

Better yet, be generous and help them out. Play twice a year, each as the home team once. Of course, that would kill our RPI.

"The play-in game is garbage." Give me a break!!! I'm pretty sure the Danes would be very happy to have the chance to play in front of a nationally televised audience and potentially win an NCAA game.

BTW, If UAlbany wins the AE tournament, not impossible this year, they are probably looking at that game given their RPI.

I wasn't speaking in moral victory terms, but rather on the official NCAA stats - people were talking about inflated home attendance figures using the Pepsi. Of course you take a 10,000 neutral in your own city over 5,000 "home".

I still think if its only one game, against the primary occupant of the building, then officially it is their home game no matter what. I'm 90% sure that is the rule.

The Palestra, if shared by a few teams, could be a different story.

The Pepsi is a public facility, but Siena has a contract. I don't see that changing, especially if we're going to only commit to one game a year there, against the primary tenant no less. Which, I think, is all that we could/would/should play there anyhow, for the forseeable future.

I must say I didn't know how much St. Rose held, so I had no clue if 1,000 were a sellout. It could be that that game would have drawn 2,300, I don't know. But no one ever will. ;-)

I still think if its only one game, against the primary occupant of the building, then officially it is their home game no matter what.  I'm 90% sure that is the rule.

NCAA Bylaws (page 371)

20.9.5.2 One-Third of Men’s Contests in Home Arena for Provisional Members. An active member or a provisional member must play at least one-third of its regular-season men’s basketball contests in the arena regularly used for the institution’s home games. A provisional member is required to apply scheduling criteria beginning with year two of the provisional process. (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/2/94, 3/10/04)

20.9.5.2.1 Multiple-Home Arenas. In meeting the home-arena requirement, an institution may utilize more than one arena, provided each arena is located within a 30-mile radius of the institution’s main campus and each arena is utilized annually by the institution for at least two home basketball contests.

No mention of who else uses the arena. We don't need it for the 1/3 requirement, so only one would be OK. And we could bring in one other 'name' opponent a year, which should be easier now that the NCAA selection committee gives more weight to road wins.

The Pepsi is a public facility, but Siena has a contract. 

If we host a game, we'll also have a contract. If Siena's contract gives them exclusive rights to college games in the arena (and it doesn't, we've played St. Rose and Syracuse there before), Pepsi management should be investigated.

I know for a fact it doesnt give them exclusive rights...i already argued this over at the Siena board. I worked in the Pepsi during the signing of the original contract and have been privy to it. UNLESS IT DRAMATICALLY CHANGED since then, they dont have exclusive rights, however no college team can play the day before and after the Saints.