UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Got this is my email yesterday. Seems the alumni association is trying to put together a pep band. Good to see somebody is taking a step in the right direction.

Help boost UAlbany spirit by joining a new Pep Band to play at

Great Dane home games. We're looking for people who play flute,

clarinet, sax, trumpet, trombone, tuba or percussion

instruments. We'll provide the instruments, music and uniforms

-- high school proficiency desired, enthusiasm required! Come to

an informational meeting on Wednesday, December 3 at 7pm in

Campus Center room 375. Meet new band director Kevin Champagne

and hear about this fun group! Questions? Call or email Kevin at

442-4192 or kachampagne@capital.net.

Wow, this is a tremendous step in the right direction!!!! My solution to the pep band problem -- offer UAlbany music program students 3 academic credits for full-season participation and provide them free pizza or food at all home games.

It is my understanding from the past that Hitchcock mandated we have a pep band. However, the music director didn't like the idea, but went along with it. Does this new band director work for the University?

very cool. I think i had brought up this glaring deficiency earlier. I am a BC season ticket holder. I got to tell you that there fans suck...44k sound like the 3k at UA games...but something just happens when the band plays the fight song...it even gets me riled up. I think this is a good move for UA....and screw teh music director....my taxes pay his salary!

I believe it is a common practice at BCS type schools to give academic credit (perhaps not 3 per semester) to marching and pep band members who perform at athletic events. Practice and perfomance at events can be time consuming, taking students away from other studies, and I see no reason that they can't be compensated with academic credits for their time and effort.

The fact that they have to reach out to alumni because they can't get enough student participation , however, seems discouraging.

Hey, you got to start somewhere ... maybe the music students will become jealous and eventually demonstrate they are capable of taking over the reigns someday. However, the one thing I do like about the current idea is that adults seem to be more responsible (actually showing up consistently) than 18-21 year olds. I would think there would be a handful of UAlbany music alums in the Capital District that would endorse this and become active participants.