UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's future looks bright

We had Coach Patterson on our sports show today and had some insight into next season.

1. The women will have a large out of conference slate next season with Northeastern moving to the CAA. Albany will play Cal in their tournament, as well as St. Bonaventure in theirs. Also Big East basketball makes its first appearence at the RACC as Syracuse will play the Danes in Albany. Curious to see if Trina schedules Northeastern in the out of conference schedling because they've developed quite a rivalry.

2. Look for the Albany to continue to recruit in California and Texas. Probably the reason why they are playing out west.

3. Despite the loss of Alicia, Mookie, and Hutch Coach feels strong about her post play next year with two 6'4" players (Peterson and Tanacan). Peterson has practiced with the team and is familiar with the system and Tanacan is experienced in International play as a member of the U-18 Turkish national team. Expect her to make an immeadiate impact.

4. Its Jen's team next year and coach feels comfortable with her as the team leader. Even without Hutch team is in good hands with Jen as the emotional leader.

5. Albany will need to decide on a point gaurd in the early season. Whether it be Mikus or James that needs to be a decision that has to be made in the early going.

Despite losing this great senior class Albany's future is bright. Recruiting has been solid...Coach B is an excellent recruiter with his sense of humor and easy going attitude is a good compliment to Coach Patterson. The schedule they are putting together is exciting and will only serve to help recruiting. Their was alot of emotion on thursday night as it was very difficult to leave this team that seems more like a family. When their is a team that cares so much about each other from us media schlubs, the players and coaches you know you are doing something right despite the wins and losses. If thats the mentality that Coach Patterson enstills on this team then the wins and championships will come.

There is no way Albany finishes in the top four next year after losing three starters. I really see them in the bottom three of the league. Mari Warner's recruits have finally graduated. Now, we will really see what Trina Patterson is made of. Yes, Jen Schumacher was recruited by Warner as well.

The women have won 27 games over the past two seasons. So if Will Brown wins one AE tourney game next year and wins 14 games in '05-06, does he get an extension???? It was good enough for Trina Patterson to get one. Also, the recruits Will has brought in blow Trina's out of the water.

Recruiting wise for the men for every great recruit there is one that flakes out. Perry left this year and Dyson has been MIA. Last year Hughes disappaered and Todd Martin is gone. The women have never had a rookie of the year because the America East for some reason choses to disrespect the women. Ayers and Hutcheson were not named All-Rookie four years ago. Next year will be interesting with two 6'4'' post players. One of them has experience in international competition. Plus expect Gia Sanders to replace Mookie in the starting lineup. She will turn some heads next year.

I agree with AO, how can they be considered in the top 3 or even in the top 7 when they didn't do much with three starting seniors. I feel this team should have been so much better than a .500 team. I see one good recruit over the past 3 seasons and that was Sheri and she didn't even play enough. Hopefully I am wrong but without Coach Warners players, I do not see a very strong Albany team next year. I see good things from Mikus if she gets the PT.

Unless you're talking to Lou Holtz, I'm not sure what else you'd expect a coach to say when looking forward to next year. Although Gia Sanders does remind me of Mookie as a freshmen, it took Jones a while to really take off, and I'm sure Gia will be the same - she'll still be learning as a soph.

Three frontcourt players is a LOT to replace no matter how good the recruits are.

If you want a precedent UNH lost Maren Mathias who was one of the best post players in the America East last year and now they ended up third in the conference. Maine lost Ernest and Veilleux and ended up first this year. You just never know. Plus I believe Sanders is leaps and bounds above where Mookie was as a freshman. Her mid range jump shot is much better and she's a rebounding animal. In America East you just never know.

My rankings for 2006

1. Hartford

2. BU

3. UNH

4. Stony Brook

5. Binghamton

6. Maine

7. Albany

8. Vermont

9. UMBC

Craig,

Now that the season is over and you're a senior, is it possible for you to comment objectively on the effect that the firing of Coach Melvin Smith and the departure of Becky Ayers had on this team? If you feel you can't or simply don't care to, I completely understand.

Also, did someone goof up and order the women's uniforms from the men's catalogue? I never saw women's uniform tops as baggy and with as much room below the armpit.

I think Becky's departure was a distraction. It obviously hit home with alot of the players and coaches. It was still was a sour taste in their mouths because they lost experience in the backcourt. I still find it pretty amazing that Jen was till able to hit 777 3's this year without becky. Melvin Smith I don't think was as big of an issue because he wasn't really mentioned to me or brought up in any conversation during the season. I know most of my posts are biased because Ive gotten to know the players and coaches pretty well and i condiser them all friends. However any women's basketball team that has two 6'4'' post players with one of them having int'l experience is gonna be a tough team down the road. Next season will be a struggle but in the AEast you never know.

Am I wrong when I say this but haven't they had 2 6"4 players the last two years and haven't been better than a .500 club. One didn't even play and one graduated. I would take a bulky 5'11 or 6'0 player over a 6'4 player that has 0 bulk and hasn't gained any in two years. I am just hoping they do not get blown out game after game next year. Coach P has yet to bring in a dominate player and you need at least one at this level. Jenn can play, but who else are teams going to have to guard next year besides Jenn (coach warners final recruit)

The 6'4" player that didnt play was redshirted and practiced with the team. So two will be available and will see regular time next season. Looking back at the season I wouldnt call it a huge disappointment. Lack of experience in the backcourt really hurt the team this season. That is an area that will be improved next season. Out of conference they went 5-4. Their only disappointing loss to me was at Colgate and even they went to the Patriot LEague final. Northern Arizona beat Hartford this season so their loss 64-61 is not that bad. Conference play was very tough this year and 9-9 is not that bad considering three of those wins came against the AEast finalists this year.

I'd like to be optimistic for next year too but I don't see it. I like what I saw out of Sanders, Thrower and Mikus but I don't know that it will be enough next year.

It's probably timely to point out that the America East has been a much tougher conference on the women's side than on the men's. Since we've joined the women's RPI has been around 15 of the 32 conferences. On the men's side it's been in the 20s although this year it was 15. It's hard to make strides in a more difficult conference especially when you have no D1 tradition.

I don't mean to be a Patterson apologist because I really thought this year was going to be big and was somewhat disappointed. Especially after Ayers left. Like AO said we'll find out what she's made of next year. If she gets Albany in to the top half of the league I would consider it a GREAT coaching job.