UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Freshman Nicole Scipione

With all the injuries the UA women are facing there are more people dressed in street clothes on the bench than their are players in uniform so I was surprised not to see freshman N. Scipione at the game.

I didn't realize she wasn't there until halftime when someone by the concession stand mentioned her absence.

Anyone have info about this.

I'm sorry to hear that, but most HS kids don't truly understand the rigors of DI play and the time commitment it takes.

Everyone envisions that they are going to step in play big minutes and have fun and when it doesn't happen it can become very frustrating.

No mention in the game notes of her leaving, and since she was at the $iena game, she would have had to quit Saturday or this morning.

She did look a little thin when I saw her at the exhibition game, but she wouldn't be the first freshman to need time in the weight room.

Fox23 reported last night that she quit the team and would be transferring. With a couple of guards ahead of her and two more coming in next year she may have seen that she wasn't going to get much playing time. Hopefully she find a situation that fits her better.

• 2 weeks later...

In Monday's TU article, Mark Singelais had a "note"at the end confirming that Scipione had quit the team and indicated he had spoken with her mother who said she liked Albany, but wanted to be closer to home, that she was transferring to Penn St., but not to play basketball. The article referred to her as a scholarship player. In today's TU, on the corrections page, it says the article Monday was wrong when it referred to her as a scholarship player and that she was a walk-on. Is this true? I seem to remember a press release last year announcing that she had signed a national LOI. Does this open another scholarship for Coach Patterson? or does the 5/8 or 5/9 rule come into play?

I am not positive about this, but I think she qualified as a presidential scholar, so in a sense, that was her full scholarship, not counting against the women's hoop scholly total.

If that's correct she'd be the second Presidential Scholar walk-on to leave the women's team. Shauna Brew was a walk-on who made the team under Coach Warner in 01/2, and left the team in the second half of last season (02/03). Brew was also a guard .