UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Dyson is gone

I did receive confirmation that Dyson left the program at the end of last semester (not sure if he just quit or if he needed time back home before returning - I tend to think that if you leave then you aren't returning).

It will be difficult for Brown to recruit another big guy now, does he save the scholarship for next year?

Can Connelly or Covington play the 5 next year. Brent Wilson is a perimeter player and there isn't anyone else big inough to play in the post besides the incoming freshmen. Maybe there's another transfer coming?

Remember when EJ asked for a Release at the end of the fall semester and Dr. McElroy stated it was policy not to give a Release while the student-athlete's team was still in season? Was this same policy applied to Brandon Perry and to Joe Dyson? I don't actually care; I'm just curious.

Does how long an athlete plays at your institution affect the NCAA graduation rate calculations?

Was this same policy applied to Brandon Perry and to Joe Dyson?

Not sure - I made some calls and sent some e-mails last week and got the confirmation that he left school.

Does how long an athlete plays at your institution affect the NCAA graduation rate calculations?

Not sure, but I think the fact that Dyson and Perry stayed for a semester will impact the calculation.

They will both affect it negatively - they didn't finish at the school. If you don't receive your degree at the institution it eventually counts against the school.

Also, if you leave in good academic standing vs. leaving while you are ineligible affects the calculation ... so would depend on their status as of when they left.

Assuming they would have both been eligible for the spring semester, they would get 1 out of 2 points. (They automatically lose one point for leaving). If they were going to be ineligible in the spring, they are 0-for-2.

Now, depending on what point in the semester they each left, I would think it would be hard to call them eligible for the spring semester. If they left early, say before final exams or even during exams, I'm not sure how they would have been eligible for the spring. But that is speculation - you all would know when they left school better than I would.

As for the release policy - even if they left at the end of last semester, UA could have withheld their release until the end of this semester ... would be the same policy then. They could go to another school but not actually be on the team (on scholarship) til they got their release.

Edited by DaneFan2k3

That's the dopey thing about how they figure out your graduation rates. Even if someone leaves and graduates at another school it counts against you. I don't think transfers (Juco and otherwise) count to the full amount either even when they graduate.

Looking back I think Jamal Hughes probably affected it negatively because he was not eligable to play in the spring and then never came back.

I hate to say this, but with the close losses and the losses of Perry, Hughes, Mills (before he arrived) and Dyson, this probably is the start of indicating why Brown hasnt been offered a multi-year deal. Look, McElroy has a new boss...who stresses academics and while we all know each one of these kids left for varied reasons, it definately is something President Hall can't be happy with.

Welcome to Division 1. How many athletes have we lost in all the other sports? You want athletes who can win games and do the academic work. You are always going to try and push the envelope on the academics to get the best players you can. You also recruit over your current players. This also results in transfers. The more we improve, the more it can happen.

Dane96,

I agree - started a thread about that last weekend.

We obviously don't know the real issues, but given that the on the court performance has been pretty good (all things considered), recruiting becomes the other variable that could be making a long term contract an issue.

Alum73,

I agree with you as well. I do wonder if McElroy is pushing Brown to improve the athletic / academic balance and based on the recruits to date it looks like he has done that.

Also, I am not clear that Dyson and Perry transferred. The only data that we have (The TU article) said that they dropped out of school. Not sure if it even makes a difference in the end as they are gone, but dropping out seems a lot more negative to me.

This said, I think Brown deserves an extension ASAP, and I do think they will win the AE next year.

There was a short story in today's paper about Dyson. He's transferred to the Globe Insitute of Tech in NYC for academic reasons. It quoted Brian DePasquale as saying the door was open for his return.

I was wondering if "leaving the door open" meant they weren't filling the scholarship this year.

I wouldn't think they would expect him to return in the fall. If he was having academic trouble, he probably does need to spend a year at a JC - that would also allow him to play basketball next year.

I didn't see the quote but it might mean that he would be allowed to transfer back after a season or two at the JC. UA will have several scholarships available next year with Levi, Knotts, Jordan, Zoellner all leaving.

I have so many questions around his transfer to JC:

1. What happened after the fall semester - I went to two games in the Spring and he wasn't at either. Was he already transferred, did he withdraw.

2. How bad must the academic situation have been to warrant a transfer to a JC. If it was credits, he could get those in the summer. If it was basic work, you wonder how he got admitted initially. If he struggled in HS, did he consider prepping?

4. Why Globe Tech in NYC? He could have gone to a JC in Philadelphia or Delaware hear his family. He could have gone to one of those powerhouse conferences in Kansas or Texas.

5. Did the UA staff help him decide which school to transfer to?

6. From my perspective, how much does this situation have to do with the Brown contract situation and the assistant coach situation?

point 6. I don't believe so. Joe wasn't at games or practice last season to concentrate on his academics. I don't have any idea how that turned out, but as he's gone, I assume not well enough. I do not believe it was an aptitude issue, but I'm not positie about that.

If it was credits, he could get those in the summer.

I'm sure Globe's prices are more reasonable than UA's (I believe the scholarship only pays for fall and spring classes). Also depending on their academic year he could have already finished some courses in the spring there and be working on more for the summer. Not to mention that, um, how do I say it ... JC's aren't as "rigorous" as UA might be.