UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brown contract extension

kudos to McElroy and Kermit Hall for extending Brown through 2007. I think the Danes are going to have a great year and Brown will get a long term deal anyway. At least he will be the coach for the 05/06 season and 06/07 season.

I smell an AE Championship next year.

If this is true, I think it is a great compromise for both parties and comforting news to the fans. Takes a little bit of pressure off Brown and the team.

Sounds like McElroy is going to evaluate Brown again here over the next two years. Two NCAA appearances would mean our coach would move on to greener pastures anyway.

I just want to mention a somewhat humorous reaction that I had on Tuesday when I checked out the Times-Union sports section online before I looked here at this site.

The first headline I read was "Brown to get buyout deal." My immediate reaction was, "Oh, no, UAlbany's firing Will!" My imagination was really running wild after all the speculation here and elsewhere.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...sdate=7/19/2005

The story, as I read deeper into the article, referred, of course, to the release of Larry Brown from the Detroit Pistons.

I am very relieved that my vivid imagination did not reflect reality and that Will will be here for at least two more seasons. I wish him all the very best, especially this year when he will be expected to make major progress in the W column.

• 2 weeks later...

On Wyland's newscast last night, he also said that a number of players would be available at the press conference. By using the press conference format, it allows the players to say complimentary things and to an extent, insures positive publicity in the local media tomorrow for the UAlbany program. Recently most local basketball coverage has been on Siena, with the hiring of a new coach, his recruiting efforts, the McClinton transfer and now the Haddix injury. This allows UAlbany to be the lead local story. Notice it was timed to a day when Saratoga is dark.

Press Release up on the UA website:

UALBANY BASKETBALL COACH WILL BROWN RECEIVES ONE-YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany Vice President and Director of Athletic Lee McElroy announced on Tuesday, August 2 that head men's basketball coach Will Brown has received a one-year contract extension.

Brown, who signed an agreement that takes his contract through September 2006, was appointed as the 15th head coach in the UAlbany basketball program's history on March 13, 2002.

"I am pleased with the recent progress the program has made," McElroy said. "Coach Brown has done a wonderful job of rebuilding through the recruiting process, and our student-athletes are excited about the possibilities this year. He also has taken steps to upgrade the quality and professionalism of his coaching staff."

Brown led UAlbany to a 13-15 record in 2004-05, an eight-win improvement over the previous season. The Great Danes posted their best-ever league record in America East Conference play with a 9-9 mark while finishing fourth in the conference standings.

UAlbany is expected to be one of the preseason favorites for this year's conference title with the return of four starters, including All-America East selections Jamar Wilson and Lucious Jordan. Wilson and Jordan ranked among the league's top-10 scorers at 16.9 and 14.8 points per game, respectively.

"This announcement represents the positive direction in which the UAlbany basketball program is moving," said Brown, who served as the school's interim head coach for most of the 2001-02 season. "The University, administrators and staff have been very supportive from day one. The players and coaches are determined to achieve their goals in the upcoming season."