UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

First Recruit

Interesting get!!!

One teammate committed to UNC and one to Duke!!!!

One of the better HS teams in the country. So his stats may be a little deceptive.

Seems to be a solid get for the Danes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In HoopScoops 6/2005 National Rankings

Ellington ranked #1, Henderson #22 and Yocum #590

Varsity Boys Basketball [25-3-0]

Varsity Boys Basketball – 2004-2005

The 2004-2005 Varsity Boys Basketball season was the most successful season enjoyed by the program since the 1990-91 season. The team finished the season with an overall record of 25-3. The team played a truly “national” schedule, not only playing tough competition in Southeastern Pennsylvania (with wins over Germantown Academy, Chester, and Simon Gratz), but also playing teams from Louisiana, Florida, Wisconsin, New Jersey and Maryland. Highlights of the season included a 3 win – 1 loss 5th place finish in the prestigious “City of Palms Classic” in Ft. Myers, FL. The tournament boasted a competitive field of 16 teams, many of which were nationally ranked. More importantly, the team was awarded the “Team Sportsmanship Award” for the tournament, as voted by the game officials. The team earned the title of “InterAc Champions” with a perfect 10-0 record in regular season league play. The season ended with the team capturing the championship of the InterAc Coaches vs. Cancer tournament at Villanova University, having to defeat rival Germantown Academy for a third time in the championship game. This victory propelled the team to a #1 ranking in Southeastern Pennsylvania in both the Philadelphia Daily News and Philadelphia Inquirer. Individual highlights included 3 team members, Wayne Ellington, Gerald Henderson and Mike Yocum being selected to the first team All-InterAc team. Wayne Ellington was also selected as the league’s MVP. Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson also scored their 1000th point each in an Episcopal uniform. And finally, Coach Dan Dougherty earned his 600th high school coaching victory and became the city of Philadelphia’s all-time winningest coach during the season.

Additional Post-Season Kudos:

Gerald Henderson and Wayne Ellington were named to the Philadelphia Daily News All-City Team.

Coach Dan Dougherty was named by the Philadelphia Daily News as the City Coach of the Year.

Wayne Ellington was named to the First Team All-State Team and Gerald Henderson to the Second Team All-State (Class AA).

Wayne Ellington was named Southeastern Pennsylvania Player of the Year by the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson were both named by the Philadelphia Inquirer to the First Team All-Southeastern Pennsylvania Team.

Middle Atlantic Sports News / LLHoops Pennsylvania Boys Basketball Final State Rankings ranked Episcopal Academy the Number 1 team in the state of Pennsylvania!

Congratulations to Wayne Ellington on being named to the USA Today "All-USA High School Basketball Team"! Wayne was a 3rd team selection. Of the 15 players selected nationally, 13 were seniors and Wayne was one of only two high school juniors selected to this prestigious team.

On Wednesday, May 18th, Gerald Henderson made an official announcement of his college choice for the fall of 2006. He has decided to continue his academic and basketball careers at Duke University. Congratulations Gerald!

More on Yocum:

September 13, 2005

Yocum Makes College Choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay Gomes

NJ Hoops

Mike Yocum

6 foot 9 Episcopal Academy Sr. Mike Yocum plays high school ball with two All Americans. Wings Wayne Ellington and Gerald Henderson are both A.C.C. bound, to North Carolina and Duke respectively. Yocum transferred to Episcopal last season from Tamaqua PA and started to make a little name for himself. He helped lead Episcopal to a 25 - 3 mark and Inter AC Championship. The aggressive big man has made a verbal commitment to attend the University of Albany for the 2006-07 season.

He joined the more famous duo as a 1st Team All Inter AC performer. Yocum continued to impress this summer with the Main Line Aces in AAU play and at Eastern Invitational Camp.

September 13, 2005

Albany adds a solid power forward for 2006...

By Van Coleman van@hoopmasters.com

Will Brown and his staff have dipped into the talent pool at one of the nation's top high school squads Merion, PA Episcopal Academy for some inside help...

According to sources close to the program, 6-8 235-pound Michael Yocum from nationally top ten rated high school Merion, PA Episcopal Academy will sign with Albany this November.

Yocum does a yeoman's job on the boards for Episcopal Academy and can score with touch at the elbow or on the blocks. He averaged 12 points and 12 boards along with 3 blocks a ghame for the 28-3 squad. He is the inside presense on this top notch squad that features Wayne Ellington (North Carolina) and Gerald Henderson (Duke).

Edited by Patch

From the TU story

UAlbany has offered a scholarship to 6-8, 230-pound high school senior forward Michael Yocum of Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia, said Episcopal coach Dan Dougherty. "I wouldn't be surprised after he takes his (official) visit if he does announce he's coming (to Albany)," Dougherty said. Yocum averaged 11 points and 8 rebounds per game last season.

Our Philadelphia/Eastern Pennsylvania/South Jersey Editor Allen Rubin tells us that 6'5 David Burton from Fitchburg (Notre Dame) MA has verbally committed to St. Francis-NY, 6'8 Mike Yocum from Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA has verbally committed to Albany,........... Yocum is a good rebounder, can score around the basket, and can step out to 15 feet, as he averages close to a double-double and is the unsung hero on his high school team.  But, then again, this should come as no surprise when one remembers that two of his teammates - 6'5 Gerald Henderson from Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA and 6'4 Wayne Ellington from Merion Station (Episcopal Academy) PA - are two of the top seniors in nation. - Hoopscoop

It seemed weird what was printed in the TU, but most other publications confirm the verbal. Remember it's only a verbal we still have to wait to the signing period in November.

Today's Philly Daily News has a story about the commitment.

Episcopal's Yocum to play basketball at Albany

By TED SILARY

silaryt@phillynews.com

The official visit won't take place until early October, but the commitment has been made.

Mike Yocum called Will Brown and said to him, "I want to be a Great Dane."

We're not talking dog shows. We're talking basketball.

Mike Yocum is a 6-9, 235-pound senior center at Episcopal Academy and the University of Albany is where he'll play his college hoops.

The Great Danes, viewed as an up-and comer, went 9-9 in the America East Conference last year.

"I went up there on an unofficial visit with my father a couple weeks ago, and everything went great," Yocum said. "We both felt it was the kind of school, and situation, that couldn't be a better fit. It wasn't a hard decision at all. That's a team on the rise."

Yocum said he caught Brown's eye during summertime AAU competition, but that an offer was not made until last Friday.

"Coach Brown said he liked the way I played as far as rebounding, defending and blocking shots," Yocum said. "What he wasn't sure of was my post play, especially the back-to-the-basket skills, because AAU ball is so guard oriented. He said my offense was kind of a gray area.

"So last Friday, he came to Episcopal and I did a workout for him in the gym. Coach Tosti [bud, assistant to Dan Dougherty] helped me out. He was feeding me the ball and I was doing the back-to-the-basket things. He said he liked my footwork and how I handled myself and that was he ready to offer me a scholarship."

GODANESGO - 12ppg & 12rpg or 11 & 8 is insignificant. Many recruiting sevices speak to the players, AAU coaches or HS coaches who spout numbers off the top of their head. Most of the time you have to take all the information with a grain of salt.

We often find out that a 6'6" kid is in reality 6'4" and sometimes he really is 6'6".

12 & 12 or 11 & 8 either set of numbers as a JR playing on a team that Plays a very tough, high level schedule is very good. Remember this kid is the third best player on his own team the top two players are McDonald All American types going to UNC and Duke.

Patch,

Thanks for the ongoing, in-depth research you have been doing on Yokum. It looks like he will be a great catch for the Danes.

It is also significant that Brown is not looking for just anyone to fill a spot on the roster now. We can now afford to be a little choosy on whom we want to fill minor and major roles.

It is also important to note that others in the know in the Northeast view Albany with a little more respect. This team and program are both headed solidly in the right direction.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a little blurb on Yocum's HS team

School Sports Magazine Pre-Season Top 5 For Philadelphia Area Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Episcopal Academy (also ranked 9th in the country)

2. Neumann-Goretti (also ranked 24th in the country)

3. Germantown Academy

4. St. Joe's Prep

5. Chester