UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Dear Mr. Ettkin

Actually my opinion on Ettkin changed in mid October when he wrote about the Section 2 - Class AA football selection fiasco.

Regarding the non-call on the final play of regulation, Ettkin writes that the ref choked on his whistle; that it was shameful; and that if the roles were reversed and Zoellner "banged Kojo Mensah like a gong" the Siena faithful would have screamed for a call.

I didn't get a good look at the play when it happened, and being as angry as I was at the way the game unfolded, and considering the final play was a gift anyway, I didn't give it much thought. However, drowning my sorrows at a local tavern last night, I became engaged in a conversation with a very nice Siena fan who I had never met before. He said he was sitting right on top of the play and it was clearly a foul. This peaked my curiosity (but did nothing for my confusion & disappointment) so I made sure to get home for the 11:00 news and saw the highlights. The play was clearly a foul and if it occurred any other time of the game would have been called.

I just wanted to note my appreciation for Ettkin's observation.

Other than that, much as I hate to say it - the team that deserved to win, did win. Having watched the Siena - Holy Cross game on TV and yesterday, I have nothing but admiration and praise for Coach McCaffrey.

The refs swallowed the whistle when Jamar ran over Kojo to tie the game - and they certainly weren't going to blow the whistle on the last posession.

UAlbany had a full five minutes to beat a tired (3 games in 4+ days), undermanned and less talented Siena team - and they didn't do it.

The refs swallowed the whistle when Jamar ran over Kojo to tie the game - and they certainly weren't going to blow the whistle on the last posession.

UAlbany had a full five minutes to beat a tired (3 games in 4+ days), undermanned and less talented Siena team - and they didn't do it.

10693[/snapback]

I know my UAlbany education is a lot better than Loudonville CC's, but I'm sure you've learned somewhere that you actually have to have established position for it to be a charge. You can't simply flop with contact when you're beat defending a drive to the hoop. Common mistake, but there's plenty season left, so I'm sure you'll catch on soon enough.

10693[/snapback]

I know my UAlbany education is a lot better than Loudonville CC's, but I'm sure you've learned somewhere that you actually have to have established position for it to be a charge. You can't simply flop with contact when you're beat defending a drive to the hoop. Common mistake, but there's plenty season left, so I'm sure you'll catch on soon enough.

10704[/snapback]

Better go back and look at that play again. Jamar was OUT of Control. It was most definitely a charge. the refs were not going to decide the game, that was blatantly obvious. To cry about a non call when Albany was the beneficiary of a dubious call moments before does not reflect well on your Albany education ;-)

One other thing genius, Soup is a Marist grad not a Siena grad ( wrong again anyone sense a theme here)

Would have, should have, could have, bottom line Albany didn't get the job done. Stop yer whining

I saw the replay last night, Mensah didn't move in front until Wilson was already coming thru the lane, and he was too far under the basket for a charge to be called anyway. He's lucky he wasn't called for blocking.

10709[/snapback]

Of course from your point of view it was not a foul...Only have one thing to say..

SCOREBOARD…. you LOST.. get over it

I saw the replay last night, Mensah didn't move in front until Wilson was already coming thru the lane, and he was too far under the basket for a charge to be called anyway. He's lucky he wasn't called for blocking.

10709[/snapback]

Of course from your point of view it was not a foul...

10710[/snapback]

My point of view was right right on top of it, you must have had a MUCH better view from 150 feet away.

$iena fans keep bringing up the supposed 'charge' - isn't the win enough for you without whining about the media?

Of course from your point of view it was not a foul...Only have one thing to say..

SCOREBOARD…. you LOST..  get over it

10710[/snapback]

One thing I've learned in life is that the more someone claims he is right, the more he actually doubts he is right. Shakespeare said it much more succinctly, "I think thou dost protest too much."

It is interesting that SienaTony then advises Albany fans to "get over it." Fine advice coming from him. Ever since Albany blasted Siena off the court in the 2004 game - and that result was never in doubt in the last five minutes of the game, he has done everything else but forget about that shameful result.

He, along with other Siena fans, continually found others to blame for their defeat except for the players on the floor. First, they blamed the journalists until two newspapers in the area had to change their Siena beat reporters, then they blamed their coach until they got rid of him.

They just cannot get over the fact that they are no longer the only game in town when it comes to men's college basketball. They have been spoiled by their their dominance, and that period of dominance has ended.

UAlbany may not win every game in the Siena series, but most UAlbany fans maturely accept that. Many Siena fans, with some notable exceptions, have now resumed their stance of unmitigated arrogance. It is shameful to read several posts on their board where they are going to run us off the court and win every future game by 30.

Where do some of them get this arrogance? It sure beats me. Several of them forget that after 40 minutes of play, the game was all knotted up. They are unwilling to realize that UAlbany probably had the right to go to the line and win the game right in regulation. How could a team that is supposedly as great as theirs squander an 18-point lead in the second half and lose to a team of "Neanderthals?"

They are just blinded by years of elitist crap. My last post there basically says...hey you won the game, but stop bitching about UA being supported by state dollars thus we have more of this and that. They are so blinded by their own beliefs they can't even see through them to fact, such as the fact that we didnt go DI for years because state monies can't be used for scholarship money.

In any event, one day this rivalry will be similar to that of UC and Xavier. Very similar, though on a much smaller national scale. The local ramifications will be huge.

Siena Tony........it is called two halfs. A foul is a foul. I watched the end of the game three times now. Jamar...though out of control, had the right to that lane. Rule book.....Mensah moved below the circle AFTER Jamar was in the lane. It is called a block. For the 23+ years I played competitive hoop, that call you want, a charge, is rarely made in the end of the game. The non-call in Jamar, in all fairness, is also not made in 95% of the games played. The key difference of most of those times and this one: JAMAR WASNT TOUCH FOULED....HE WAS CLEARLY CLOBBERED. In fact, it could have been considered a non-technical version of a flagarent foul considering he did not even go after the ball.

Now, unlike some of my fellow supporters, I dont blame the loss on that call. We didnt play well in the first half....that is our fault. However, that call needs to be made....and in real-time it was just as clear of a foul as on the replays.

We lost, no excuses...but don't embarrass yourself arguing those two calls (non-call and call). You would be completely and utterly wrong...not according to me, but the rule book. According to custom, YOU MAY be right.

Edited by Dane96