UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Grinch

Can someone remind me of a game in the last five years that this team played worse than today?

I've seen worse losses but not against a team that was not that good.

Just a terrible game to watch. 49 points.

Down by 15 with 6 minutes left guys are head faking shot after shot making the "extra" pass, only for the next guy to do the same thing.

Too many reasons to discuss for that loss.

I think they should refund tickets.

It seemed no one wanted to shoot the ball. Plus, there seemed no urgency when down by 15 with 5 minutes to play.

The teams of 2 and 3 years ago didn't win much but they were at least entertaining. This game was not in the least entertainting.

Confidence - shooters are usually Ultra Confident.

For some reason our shooters especially Iati and Brent are in an outrageous funk and definitely not shooting or looking to shoot with confidence.

I checked the stats for the last 3 games and the have combined to shoot 11 of 53 including something like 6 for 32 from three.

Add to that Siggers has come off the bench to shoot 2/12 including 1 of 5 from three

In other word are rifles are shooting blanks over the last three games - a dismal 7 for 37 from three.

The other major problem we have is costly, stupid turnovers. It hurts too shoot poorly but it's a killer to make stupid turnovers when your struggling shooting the ball.

Keeping posession of the ball and shooting it decently and we can still be a very good team.

Hopefully we start a new season Tuesday and forget the transgressions of the early part of the season.

another slow start today.

we came out with a lot of energy and intensity as if we wanted to wear 'em down physically. once that didn't translate into early points, we seemed to lose our confidence and settle for some flat-out awful shots.

funny point earlier about all the head faking. all of it made me laugh. problem is, when you're down by 15 and your opponents know how to play sound basketball, they're not gonna' fall for that sort of nonsense.

i've been to most home games over the last two years, and i can't recall a poorer defenisve effort than the one today. i know we want to run the basketball, but running the ball starts on the defensive end.

berating players at a "home" game, doesn't help either. i was as disappointed as anyone with today's effort, if not moreso. however, its bush league to show up for a game every once in a while just to start yelling at everyone and everything. show some class- and support your team.

glad we have another game on tuesday-- not much time to mull this one over. hopefully playing on a more consistent basis will help us find some rhythm and continuity. new season begins v. binghamton.

depending on things over the next week, there's a good chance i'll be in providence for the brown game, if anyone is thinking about going.

Confidence - shooters are usually Ultra Confident.

For some reason our shooters especially Iati and Brent are in an outrageous funk and definitely not shooting or looking to shoot with confidence.

I checked the stats for the last 3 games  and the have combined to shoot 11 of 53 including something like 6 for 32 from three.

Add to that Siggers has come off the bench to shoot 2/12 including 1 of 5 from three

In other word are rifles are shooting blanks over the last three games - a dismal 7 for 37 from three.

The other major problem we have is costly, stupid turnovers. It hurts too shoot poorly but it's a killer to make stupid turnovers when your struggling shooting the ball.

Keeping posession of the ball and shooting it decently and we can still be a very good team.

Hopefully we start a new season Tuesday and forget the transgressions of the early part of the season.

10852[/snapback]

I'll start out with one of the few positives from yesterday's game: Santa Claus at the RACC. That was fantastic. I thought for sure there would be a picture of him in today's paper. Had I know Santa would have been there I would have brought my list although I'm not sure the elves can help out with making a winning home record.

On the defensive end I saw the game differently than most of what I've seen posted here. I thought they played great defense for the first maybe 10 minutes of the game. They had a bunch of calls go against them during that stretch and didn't recover from that as far as I'm concerned. That's when they stopped fighting through screens and gave up all those back door Ivy League layups. I think when you play that way for the whole game the refs will try and balance that stuff out but they played much softer defense in the second half.

Offensively, Harvard had more of an idea what we were trying to do that we did. To answer McFan's question I don't think I've seen a team more lost on offense in the last five years. Maybe that's a result of working on defense all week, I'm not sure. Granted Harvard is a pretty good team but we should, and will be better than what showed yesterday.

depending on things over the next week, there's a good chance i'll be in providence for the brown game, if anyone is thinking about going. 

10852[/snapback]

If my plans hold up I'll be at that game also.

Edited by Dane Pound

Of the 4 years worth of games that I have seen, I was most disappointed with how we played in this one as it was just TOTALLY sloppy. Granted, much of that is probably because I know we more than have the talent to win these games, compared to 2 or 3 years ago. I was also ready to blame some of it on the refs, especially in the first half, but we managed to stink it up ourselves in the second as well even w/o their help.

Positives...

I think we came out with a TON of energy the first 5-10 minutes of the game, especially on the defensive end, now hopefully we can actually keep it up for 40 minutes. Lucious played well and how he should be playing this year. Plenty of drives to the hoops mixed in with a couple outside shots to keep them honest. Hopefully he's consistant with this play now. Although Zo didn't have a great game at all, I was happy with his 3 blocks (a threat our team hasn't had in a few years) and although he didn't have many field goals at least he wasn't wasting posessions with pathetic moves to the hope when he's out of his position. I also liked his passing at the top of the key. Hmmm, anything left? I guess Brent's rebounding stood-out (with 9) as did with the rest of the team. I think this is something they have been consistantly improving on in general.

Negatives...

We couldn't and didn't want to make shots. Brent was just abysmal with 3 or 4 lay-ups he should've made easily. I too was annoyed with so many freakin head fakes, especially from Lillis and Jamar. Lillis just turns one dimensional if he doesn't put up a shot or a drive at least once in awhile, ESPECIALLY when he's open beyond the arc. But I think Jamar is a lot of our team's problems right now. First for whatever reason, he doesn't get foul calls go for him on offense or defense this year, which has made his circus type drives a lot more ineffective. But most importantly, his role needs to be decided by either him and/or the coaching staff. He either needs to be a focal point of our scoring offense or he needs to be the point guard. I know that's tough because he's such a great scorer and we really don't have a true point guard, but what he's doing these past half dozen games hasn't been working. If he is going to be our scorer, he really needs to take advantage at least one in a while (certainly don't become dependent on it) of his open 3 point chances as he is getting to predictable with his middle of the paint cuircus drives. 1 assist and 5 turn-overs last game just can't happen. And moreso why his role's out of whack, he's averaging 4.5 boards per game..how does that happen with our 6 foot point guard??

Finally, I can't figure out Levi. I think on offense he does a lot for us because our team either shoots the 3 or scores in the paint. Levi (with Brent a few times) is really our only proven mid-range jumper guy, which I think he does pretty well. But on the other hand, his rebounding has been down, although probably because of his lack of minutes. On defense he's too much of a liability to have him at the 3 with all of our talented guards, but he has been getting eaten up at the 4 in the post.

Hopefully our team starts figuring all of this out with the start of our real season on Tuesday. Let's make a good showing for our first local tv apprearance of the season and start our AE record off right.

It would be great to see more screens for our shooters and to see the ball kicked out to the perimeter when it gets bottled up inside. We seem to force too many things and then either turn the ball over, miss the inside attempt and not get many second chances. (Hard to believe with the size we have inside.)

Remember the game at Sienna last year...we played as a team, looking for the open man, and it was a beautiful thing. Let's turn the penetration into a score rather than forcing the shot. Let's play as a team.