UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Big Board Sports

Sitting in a Crown Room between flights - thought I'd log onto the last 15 minutes of Wyland's show - mostly Bills talk, but the last thing that he discussed was UA. His comments:

1. Need a PG - Jamar is not a point guard - too many turnovers. Thinks Brown needs to find one. I absolutely agree with this. I don't think they have a PG - maybe they use the Graham scholarship for that.

2. Zoellner gets the pall at the top of the key too often - more than he gets it in the low post. I think this is a set part of their offense designed to create lanes for cutters.

HIs other comments were that for their talent level they are not playing well. Said they are not a good team now and looked bad against Harvard.

Sitting in a Crown Room between flights - thought I'd log onto the last 15 minutes of Wyland's show - mostly Bills talk, but the last thing that he discussed was UA.  His comments:

1. Need a PG - Jamar is not a point guard - too many turnovers.  Thinks Brown needs to find one.  I absolutely agree with this.  I don't think they have a PG - maybe they use the Graham scholarship for that.

2. Zoellner gets the pall at the top of the key too often - more than he gets it in the low post.  I think this is a set part of their offense designed to create lanes for cutters. 

HIs other comments were that for their talent level they are not playing well.  Said they are not a good team now and looked bad against Harvard.

10869[/snapback]

Are these not the same players who were together last year (B.Wilson subbed in for St.Hillaire) ?

Edited by Classof72/74

I very much agree with Wyland's point regarding the point guard position. While Jamar may be the best of the alternatives, the negative is that it takes him away from doing what he does best. I see in this morning's Times Union, a hint from Coach Brown that he might use Lillis more at the point. I had heard that this was the plan before Liilis got hurt, to see if Lillis could play the 1 on offense and the 3 on defense. I hope Coach decides to go in this direction tonight. I pray we don't see Jamar get called for 4 questionable charges as he did last year vs Binghamton.

You could see them experimenting with Jamar in the off-guard spot against Harvard except it was with Iati at the point. Part of the problem I think is that there are three very good shooting guards and no real defined PG. I'd like to see Lillis in there at the PG also.

I think it's a lot to expect of Jamar to be the primary scorer and run the offense. One of the reasons he was so dominant offensively his freshman year (I think he shot over 50% from the floor) was because "I'll be right back" handled the point and left Jamar free to attack the defense.

I also couldn't agree more with what Coach Brown said in the TU about the offense getting stagnant. They miss a couple of shots and everyone gets tenative and walking the ball up the floor-letting the defense set up and everything becomes half court.

Seems like when they hit some shots and get confident they push the ball more and get some easier shots.

Are these not the same players who were together last year (B.Wilson subbed in for St.Hillaire) ?

10871[/snapback]

You mean the same players that finished below .500 last season? I think you guys were expecting more than the team was capable of giving

A few observations from an outsider: and I know you guys know far more about the team than I

I agree with Wilson at the point, not sure what the answer is, I think jamar is much more effective off the ball. Is Iati capable of running the point?

What’s wrong with Levine? I like him as a player it seems to me when Albany plays Zoelner and B Wilson at the same time you guys are a slow team. Personally I like to see Levine more time at the 4. Albany is made to run with Jordan, Wilson, Iati and Levine. Play either Zoe or B Wilson for rebounding but not both

Get some easy buckets running the ball when you are struggling with your Offense. Zoelner and B Wilson -both are fine players but both are way below average speed wise. Can't run with them both on the court IMO

As it is now teams are following the Siena blueprint…. Pressure Albany guards to make it tough to get the ball to Zoe… and stay all over Iati who is a terrific shooter but struggles to create his own shot. Until Brown counteracts that teams will continue to play Albany the same way..

Again just my 2 cents

Edited by SienaTony

I think Levi at the 4 on offense is fine, especially with our relatively fast paced offense. But, I am not convinced by his defensive play at the 4. If Zo is the center with Levi at the 4, we get beat by athletic 6'8"-6'10" centers and if Covington is at center with Levi at the 4, we are way over matched size wise.

I like what he brings offensively, his rebounding, and his overall energy/leadership but he seems again to almost be the man without a position. We have too many talented guards to have him at the 3 for very long while having him at the 4 on a regular basis is just asking too much of him.

Lastly, I'm glad we can even have this discussion about Levi though compared to 2 seasons ago when he was forced (personel wise) into being a regular at the 4 and even at 5 sometimes. Glad we at least have options to chose from.

Lillis makes a lot of sense at the point:

1. He will always look to pass first

2. Tall enough so that he should be able to make the pass into the post easier than some of the other guards

3. Will allow Iati and Jamar to play their natural positions

4. He is the only remaining choice - they need to let Jamar create shots

I think DP makes a great point about Jamar as a freshman - he was able to create when Opong ran the offense.

I also think that Tony makes a good point about being a running team. I would hope that the team has a plan with an option of having a faster team with a primary rotation of Jamar, Levi, Lucious, Jon, Brent and Brian. This is similar to the lineups of other teams in the conference. My guess is that Brown looked at his team and decided to run a more structured attack. Given the challenges, I would hope that he has reviewed all the options.

I can't believe I'm about to write this, but, I pretty much agree with SienaTony. Our styles, both on offense and defense must change depending on the personnel package on the floor. I thought we got burned a lot on Saturday by trying to use a sort-of mild press, with both Zoellner and Brent in the game. Most teams can break our pressure by using all five guys, and we generally can't use Zoellner; then when they break the press, they often get a 2 on 1, with Zoellner as the lone defender, which is not fair to him. In fact it was this exact play(resulting in a Harvard dunk after the Harvard player put a move on Zoellner) that set off the boos (which, by the way, Tony, were noticeable, but not as pronounced as you prtrayed them on the Siena Board) with about 4+ minutes left in the game. Further, with Brent guarding the inbounder, we are expecting him to sprint the length of the court to get into defensive position, knowing he is hampered by his fasciatis. I'm all for speeding up the tempo; but we must have the right players in the game at the time to be effective.

On another subject raised by Tony, from what I've seen, Jon Iati is not really a point guard. The structural problem with our team is that we have five players (Jamar, Lucious, Siggers, Iati and Bauman) whose best position is at 2 guard, and 4 of them are among our top 8 players. I'll repeat my position of this morning - our best chance is if Lillis can be effective at the point.

I know there are more astute basketball minds on this board so I'll ask them to correct me if I'm wrong. I had always understood there were two different philosphies when appling that 2-2-1 press that we use.

1. was to overcommit and go for the steal or

2. to keep good defensive position and delay teams that have involved offenses from bringing the ball up the floor to set-up their offenses. In my mind the way BU uses the press.

In the games I've seen they've put that press on early to try and delay teams like Harvard from setting up their offense. I think later in the game (too often when we've been behind) is when we've ramped up the press to go for steals. It's seems more exciting to watch and to play when the press is trying to force steals. I'm not sure if I agree that Zoellner has been exposed defensively that often but I do agree that it's sometime difficult for guys to get back into their half court defense and pick up their man or locate the shooter.

Not that I needed to remember another thing but one thing drove me nuts on Saturday. Several times Zoellner set a pick for the man with the ball and then smartly went hard to the hoop while being wide open. The man with the ball never looked up to make the pass. Stuff like that used to drive my dad crazy.

I can't believe I'm about to write this, but, I pretty much agree with SienaTony. 

10888[/snapback]

Hey State fan thanks for the vote of confidence :rolleyes: ( you know agreeing with me) I do know a little about basketball, and I certainly wasn’t busting Albany fans chops on the booing. Had a buddy at the game and he told me about the booing . Anyway congrats on the win tonight guys. I have to get up to the RACC and see a game , I have to check my schedule maybe I can make the BU and Vermont games

Edited by SienaTony