UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Brent Wilson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone had the temperment to lose his starting spot for the good of the team it would be LEVINE. That being said, he will start next year. I still believe having the three headed-monster of Iati, Jordan, and Wilson is not beneficial to the team. I think one of those...my guess, Iati, will be sitting. I really believe Brown will go with Wilson, Jordan, Zoellner, Levine. Iati will only start if Dyson and B. Wilson are raw. I also beleive that if Martin gets it together he has a shot to start.

My starting 5

Wilson 6'1

Jordan 6'2

Levine 6'5

Dyson 6'9

Zoellner 7'2

First three off the bench

Iati- 5'9

Martin 6'7

Hughes 6'8 (*if he is here). If not...Knotts.

Next group: (no particular order)

B. Wilson 6'8

Bauman 6'2

Lillis 6'5

Knotts 6'6'

Wyatt 6'6

Mark my words. Marvin Cheese will only leave the bench. Johnson...maybe a few minutes. The scholarship kids did not come here to ride the pine...even as freshman.

"Dane96"

You line up and options are fine but.......

1. I have heard from numerous sources that Brown doesnot want to play Jamar at the point. I am sure he will play some but not much.

2. Your post shows no respect for Lillis, he will get quality time. He's rated a solid 2 stars by Rivals.

3. Knotts unless he has a complete turn around may see himself #11 or 12 on the depth chart.

4. You forgot "Q", right know he's in a better position to get time (especially when the Danes press and run) than Knotts or Wyatt.

DANE 96

Wilson, Jordan, Levine, Dyson, and Zollner is a potent line-up.

However, I don't think Wilson will play the pg position much. Maybe only in the $$ games against the Pitt's of the world. It will be interesting.

I think the depth chart will be the five above along with

B. Wilson, Lillis, Bauman, Iati, Hughes and St. Hillaire

Wyatt, Knotts, and Martin will all sit. Just my opinion.

Cheese and Johnson will be managers.

You are right...forgot Hillaire...knew i forgot someone. I gave Knotts the nod because I forgot Hillaire. But Patch, Knotts will see time in tight spot in the short run because of game experience. Why would Lillis get time befoe Iati, Wilson or Jordan...aint happening.

BTW...i think you see Cheese quit, Johnson stay as a good soldier!

Professor....you really see Martin losing out next year??? That would mean he is the 12 guy. I hope to god that the 6 you have ahead of him work out. We still have to wait and see with Hughes, and of course with Hillaire and Wyatt gone that would still only make Martin the 9th (maybe 10th if Hughes shows) best player at best by his Junior year. Are you that down on him?

Dane96

I did not say Lillis would start or get time before Wilson, Jordan or Iati but I guarantee you he'll get quality minutes at either the 2 or 3 he is talented and has a High Basketball IQ.

As for Knotts his game experience means "0" because he has done nothing with the minutes he has recieved, now if things change and he plays MUCH better the rest of this season you could be right but he has done nothing to deserve your confidence. Right now tell me what his strengths as a player are.

Now think about your answer!!!

Hell Wyatt has more game experience then Dyson and Zoellner and you know that ain't happening.

Hey Professor....

Maybe I am missing something, but I like Martin's game. He is only a freshman and playing out of position at the guard spot. Look at things this way. From what I have seen he is trying to play the team format.

1) Not going one on one and taking everyone out of the offense. I like that in a player, esp a freshman.

2) When I judge value, I look at proformance.

POINTS per shot....on the ESPN page. Let's look at this together.

UABANY TEAM POINTS PER SHOT/STARTING PLAYERS

1) lEVI 1.15

2) MARTIN 1.09

3) iATI 1.07

4) Q.. 1.05

3-PT %......

1) IATI 42%

2) MARTIN 38%

3) LEVI 29%

FG%......

1) MARTIN 40.9%

2) LEVI 40.0%

3) IATI 35.6%

THE ONLY PROBLEM I SEE IS THIS BOY NEEDS TO SHOOT MORE. AVERGING ONLY 4 TO 5 SHOTS PER GAME?

HECK, KNOTTS HAS TAKEN MORE SHOTS. COACH BROWN SHOULD MAYBE USE HIM FOR A THIRD OPTION. BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL BE GUARDING IATI AND LEVI...LIKE THE ARMY GAME. SHOOT MORE ..... OH YEA, AVG ONLY 22 MINS AS A FRESHMAN...HUMMMM????? BUT I COULD BE WRONG.....ON EVERYTHING,....... BUT NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

"big growl 01"

"BUT I COULD BE WRONG.....ON EVERYTHING,....... BUT NUMBERS DON'T LIE. " -big growl 01

Numbers at this early stage are very misleading, Martin had 9 rebounds in game 1 vs Siena and has 9 rebounds in the next 4 games.

Martin had 6 TOs vs LIU in 21 minutes and he only touched the ball about 10 times.

Part of scoring is being able to get a shot off ( maybe that's the reason he has only taken 22 shots), Martin has shown no explosiveness to the hoop and an unwillingness or not enough strength to get to the offensive boards.

Be careful when using Levine and Iati's shooting figures because they are often with the ball as the shot clock is winding down whereas Martin is only shooting when he has wide open looks.

As a fan I am not down on Martin - but he has to be more assertive, more intense, and he must do a better job with the ball. Hopefully after this season he will get to the weight room and add 15 good pounds. Todd has a great opportunity to get experience and improve his game this season.

When next season comes instead of getting playing time by default( that's why he's getting 22min/g) he will have to compete for it, as will Jon Iati who I think struggles at times because he is asked to do too much with Jamar out.

Let's hope Martin figures out the DI game and comes on like a gang buster and becomes an offensive option. He would really help himself if he got 2 or 3 buckets off the offensive glass.

Sounds like Big Growl 01 is a relative of Todd Martins. Martin was L.I.U.'s best player in the 2nd half. Every time he touched it they stole it!

He needs to toughen up! The kid can't create his own shot! He is playing alot of minutes this year because he has to.

If Jamar Wilson was not hurt Iati, Wilson, and Levine would play all of the minutes on the perimeter and Martin would fill in 8-10 minutes per game.

Next year Martin will have to put on 20 lbs. and improve and even if he does that he isn't going to play much with Iati, Wilson, Levine, and Jordan on the perimeter. I heard Jordan is nasty!!!! Also, Bauman and Lillis are real good. Bauman supposedly shoots lights out and Lillis can play all 3 perimeter positions at 6'5.

Martin will be a role player at best during his career. He should enjoy his minutes now because he won't be getting them after this year!

I recall Martin after he signed with the Danes referred to as a "poor mans Luke Walton".......perhaps that should be revised to read "indigent mans Luke Walton".

The jump from High School to D1 is HUGE and to ask an 18 year old to come in and be a factor is a lot to expect. It is a tough adjustment and it remains to be seen how he reacts. Does he go in to a funk and never recover or does he accept the challenge to improve and become a productive player? Only the Carnac the Magnificent knows!

In 5 games one can only start to cut their teeth but the true test will be after 25 games to see if there is improvement and to see if he will hit the wall.

HS kids start in late november and usually end in Late Feb. at this level he has actually been going at a demanding pace since early Oct. and this year it has got to be tough with Lucious and Zoellner pounding on him in practice everyday.

His play at Siena seemed to heighten expectations and since then his play has been less then expected.

The positive side of this is that he will have ample opportunities to redeem himself.

Dane Pound Harsh???? I prefer to think of it as brutally honest. I even gave him the benefit of the doubt because he is a freshmen.If you want to see this team go to the next level you better begin to evaluate with your head instead of your heart. It is not a sacrilege to point out someones weaknesses. Do I want him to well, absolutely. But this is not an intramural team comprised of your best buddies. Albany has a lot invested in this program and it has been unsuccessful to this point. If we want respect and support from administration and fans then we have to get "W's". If you are content with the status quo then that will never happen. Sugar coating weaknesses is not going to get it done.

As far as your comment regarding present players with more experience having produced less......I agree 100%..... but what is your point??.............we KNOW they are limited and not going to help us in the future.....what does that have to do with the play(other than the extended minutes forced upon him) and expectations of Todd Martin?

I was actually referring as much to the Prof's post as I was to yours but so be it. I pretty much agree with most of your post. I don't use my head when it comes to evaluating players. It really isn't my job, it's the coaches job. I am a fan, not an insider or a member of the staff. If I used my head instead of my heart I would not have driven hundreds of miles to watch a team that's 6-22. I'll admit I'll root for whoever puts on an Albany uniform if it's Pipikis, Martin, Wilson or Marvin Cheese.

I'm not that happy with the status quo. I haven't responded to this thread before because I find it depressing that we're talking about next years roster with 20+ games to go in this season. Through 5 games Martin has looked decent (Army) and terrible (LIU) that's what happens when you're forced to play a freshman alot of minutes. I am hoping he works on his game through the season and especially in the off-season to improve. I reacted to the critism of Martin probably because the guy I am most frustrated with this year is Knotts. He doesn't seemed that limited skill-wise he just seems indifferent. Maybe I thought Knotts was better than he is-I don't know.