UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Pres. Hall memorial service

UAalum72

• 2 weeks later...

U know I had this idea back in early August when the news broke about President Hall. I was thinking that since Hall was such a supporter of athletics that the best way to honor him would be to name something for him. Now I know most of us on this board believe the new football stadium should be named after Coach Ford who spent 35+ years building the program, but what about naming the RACC after Hall? For some reason the Kermit Hall Recreation and Convocation Center at the University at Albany has a nice ring to it.

Plus it wouldn't be to confusing because you can still refer to it as the RACC, but it sounds a little more prestigious or colligate.

Edited by B9j2j6s

U know I had this idea back in early August when the news broke about President Hall.  I was thinking that since Hall was such a supporter of athletics that the best way to honor him would be to name somthing for him.  Now I know most of us on this board believe the new football stadium should be named after Coach Ford who spent 35+ years building the program, but what about naming the RACC after Hall?  For some reason the Kermit Hall Recreation and Convecation Center at the University at Albany has a nice ring to it.

16003[/snapback]

It's nickname could be 'The Frog'...

• 2 weeks later...

just thought i'd bump this to the top:

Dear Faculty, Staff and Students,

You are invited to join the University at Albany community to celebrate the life of President Kermit L. Hall on Monday, September 18, 2006, 10-11:15 a.m., reception to follow. The commemoration will be held at the Recreation and Convocation Center (RACC) on the uptown campus.

I strongly encourage everyone to participate in this important public gathering to honor President Hall and his substantial contributions to higher education and UAlbany. Students who have class should speak to their instructors, and staff to their supervisors, regarding attendance.

Parking and shuttles will be available in all Quad lots.

Please continue to share your remembrances of President Hall at www.albany.edu/president

Yes...pretty much the same as the one earlier in the summer, but more formal.

None of the big political figures were there (happy) as it was more of a UAlbany type of thing. Chancellor of Vanderbilt, President of Utah St and professor he worked with at Florida and NC State were there.

Interesting side story that came up - when Hall was named President of Utah St, he went on a campaign to milk a cow in all 29 counties of Utah (he was succesful)

Was very good. His wife did not speak.

Did anyone attend the service today at the RACC?

16273[/snapback]

There were several references to the significant role that the RACC played in President Hall's time at UA. One of the speaker's also commented on UA's milestone win of last Saturday, a reference that I'm afraid more than a few in attendance were totally in the dark about :-/

I saw Coach Brown and Coach Patterson, and most if not all of both the mens and womens basketball teams. I'm sure there were others too.

From my perspective the speeches were all quite poignant, each revealing another facet of this examplary leader whose days among us were too few.

Today's service was a little different from the one held the day after President Hall's death. That service included many elected officials; today's included none, although I note that Mayor Jennings and Assemblyman McEnany were in attendance. Today's speakers fell into two categories; one group regarding their interactions with President Hall here, and one group regarding their relationships with President Hall at other institutions (one of who was President Gee of Vanderbilt who worked with President Hall when both were at Ohio State and who was described as President Hall's mentor.)

While athletics certainly weren't the focus, they were mentioned by several speakers. Provost Herbst referred to the RACC as the heartbeat of the campus. Chancellor Ryan told the story some have heard many times about coming to a womens basketball game during the evening of one of the days they were doing the "turnover", and how everytime he turned to introduce President Hall to someone, President Hall was off talking to the cheerleaders or students. Carl Rosner, speaking on behalf of the UAlbany Foundation made the reference to Saturday's football victory described by 72/74 in a previous post, and Alumni Association President described talking to President Hall on the RACC floor after the Vermont game in March and thinking it was like the punch line of George Peppard's A-Team character "i love it when a plan comes together"

One of the great beauties of attending anything involving Chancellor Ryan is that it starts and ends on time. I thought it was a very well done and appropriate service.

. . . One of the great beauties of attending anything involving Chancellor Ryan is that it starts and ends on time.  I thought it was a very well done and appropriate service.

16292[/snapback]

statefan,

Thanks for your comments on the ceremony. It speaks volumes when individuals travel so far to pay tribute.

I wish Ryan could come back to become President of the University. Hall's shoes will be extremely difficult to fill, but I thought Ryan also brought inspired leadership to the campus. I know it's impossible for this to happen, but UAlbany has been fortunate to have two very dedicated leaders at the helm, albeit for such short times.

I just wanted to add one other observation. I could only stay at the reception following the Memorial Tribute for about ten minutes, but I was present when the Channel 6 reporter and her camera person entered the room. She did a quick pass around the room obviosly looking for someone recognizable to interview on camera and when she found someone, it was Jamar Wilson. It got me to thinking that with President Hall's death you could argue that the three most recognizable UAlbany people to the gemeral public of the Capital District might be Jamar Wilson, Dr. Lee McElroy and Coach Will Brown.