UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I know this has been mentioned before.

Can anyone, perhaps our SID, do something about having the Danes appear as simply, Albany, in the newspapers, rather than Albany (NY).

I never see Sacramento State (CA) or Boston U. (MA).

15993[/snapback]

Its like that because of Albany State in Georgia. The same as Miami (OH) vs. Miami (FL).

• 3 weeks later...

It's because of Albany State Georgia. Miami of Ohio has the same problem. Albany is a very common name. There's an Albany in at least half a dozen states. I'm reminded of this every time I wear a UAlbany shirt in Atlanta. We aren't known outside of NY. Thank god I didn't go to Plattsburg or Potsdam.

I always thought SUNY should have followed the Florida model and use the name of the sate as part of the school. I think 'Central New York' or 'Eastern New York' sounds a lot better than UALBANY and leverages 'New York', which makes the school sound more important. When people here New York they think impressive, the name Albany doesn't bring that weight. Think about what sounds better Gainsville State or U of Florida? Athens State or U of Georgia?

It's because of Albany State Georgia.  Miami of Ohio has the same problem.  Albany is a very common name.  There's an Albany in at least half a dozen states.  I'm reminded of this every time I wear a UAlbany shirt in Atlanta.  We aren't known outside of NY.  Thank god I didn't go to Plattsburg or Potsdam.

I always thought SUNY should have followed the Florida model and use the name of the sate as part of the school.  I think 'Central New York' or 'Eastern New York' sounds a lot better than UALBANY and leverages 'New York', which makes the school sound more important.  When people here New York they think impressive, the name Albany doesn't bring that weight.  Think about what sounds better Gainsville State or U of Florida?  Athens State or U of Georgia?

16370[/snapback]

That would have been great...but I think there are too many SUNY schools. You'd end with University of New York Just South of Canada (potsdam). :-)

It's because of Albany State Georgia.  Miami of Ohio has the same problem.  Albany is a very common name.  There's an Albany in at least half a dozen states.  I'm reminded of this every time I wear a UAlbany shirt in Atlanta.  We aren't known outside of NY.  Thank god I didn't go to Plattsburg or Potsdam.

I always thought SUNY should have followed the Florida model and use the name of the sate as part of the school.  I think 'Central New York' or 'Eastern New York' sounds a lot better than UALBANY and leverages 'New York', which makes the school sound more important.  When people here New York they think impressive, the name Albany doesn't bring that weight.  Think about what sounds better Gainsville State or U of Florida?  Athens State or U of Georgia?

16370[/snapback]

That would have been great...but I think there are too many SUNY schools. You'd end with University of New York Just South of Canada (potsdam). :-)

16371[/snapback]

I would limit the 'New York' naming convention to the 4 SUNY centers. That's pretty standard among other states. Stony Brook could be 'Southern New York U', Albany couold be 'Eastern New York U', Buffalo would be 'Western New York U' etc... Hey, if they don't want to change that shouldn't stop us. I think the school should use the name they feels works best. From a marketing perspective, I could sell a lot more widgets with the name 'New York' than 'Albany'. New York carries some weight. At the end of the day, it's about attracting students to the school. The more you attract, the more you can be selective. The more you can be selective, the higher your academic rating and that leads directly to the value of the degree and getting a good job.

I think Florida and Michigan did it right. Florida has:

--Florida State

--U of Florida

--Florida A&M

--Central Florida

I just think that UGainesville or Tallahassee State would have sounded small and unimportant. Uninversity of Florida just carries weight that Gainsville never could.

16370[/snapback]

16371[/snapback]

I would limit the 'New York' naming convention to the 4 SUNY centers. That's pretty standard among other states. Stony Brook could be 'Southern New York U', Albany couold be 'Eastern New York U', Buffalo would be 'Western New York U' etc... Hey, if they don't want to change that shouldn't stop us. I think the school should use the name they feels works best. From a marketing perspective, I could sell a lot more widgets with the name 'New York' than 'Albany'. New York carries some weight. At the end of the day, it's about attracting students to the school. The more you attract, the more you can be selective. The more you can be selective, the higher your academic rating and that leads directly to the value of the degree and getting a good job.

I think Florida and Michigan did it right. Florida has:

--Florida State

--U of Florida

--Florida A&M

--Central Florida

I just think that UGainesville or Tallahassee State would have sounded small and unimportant. Uninversity of Florida just carries weight that Gainsville never could.

16372[/snapback]

TOTALLY AGREE.

The other options are the Cal systems. However, this will never change and we are more similar to PA and OHIO than those systems. Get this, PA STATE SCHOOLS:

E. Stroudsburg

Indiana U

Kutztown

Ohio State schools:

Kent State

(jeesh brain fart...forgot the rest...but I think MIAMI is a state school).

Thing is, we have four centers which are ALL well acclaimed and THIS KILLS US IN MARKETING. Here is the example. Michigan and Michigan State were founded prior to the directional schools (Eastern, Central, and Western).

In a perfect world, the oldest (and most central) state school is Albany. We would be the University of NY. Buffalo, being the largest school (and I believe second oldest) would be NY State. This, of course is like Michigan, North Carolina, etc.

You would take the other two SUNY's and call them a directional. Problem is....these schools WOULD NOT BY INTO IT! If done in the beginning, it would be no problem.

Unfortunately the Albany State in Georgia thing is correct I think. But the only problem with that is (I believe) Albany State is DII where we are DI. So the distinction is needed a bit more with Miami (OH) and Miami (FL).

Only thing we can do is to keep on winning to raise our national profile so that when anyone hears "Albany," they know it's about the GREAT Danes!! :D

. . . Only thing we can do is to keep on winning to raise our national profile so that when anyone hears "Albany," they know it's about the GREAT Danes!! :D

16374[/snapback]

If you're looking for something unique, that nickname's our advantage. Hard to believe, but as of a year ago, we were the only Great Danes in the country.

I like GDG's approach. Kind of like when Muhammed Ali changed his name and some people didn't accept the new name. There's one fight in particular which his opponent kept calling him Cassius Clay and he did the "What's my name?" thing while delivering a beating. If you win enough people will know you who you are.

I'd argue that a lot of people know who we are now. Anyone who's followed lacrosse knows Albany - certainly the people at UMass do. In basketball I'm sure UConn and most of the country know and the people at Delaware aren't going to forget Albany anytime soon. Although they'd certainly like to.