UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook game

Didn't find an online pregame story of tonights game. There was a story in today's TU that talks about trying to shut down Munir although it also points out that last year we lost the game to SB that Munir was suspended and beat them when he came back. Should be a dogfight (literally) as these two teams always play each other tough and last year was a terrific game down there. Statistically SB is one of the worst defensive teams in the AE which should help. We are one win away from a tie for 5th place and avoiding the P.I.G!

Edited by Dane Pound

This board is eerily quite for a day before a "winnable" night game?? Perhaps everyone is making the trek to Longgg Island. I always have been suprised a little bit by the lack of any hint of a rivalry between the Great Danes and the SeaDogs. Anyway, I will be rooting them on tonight but I have to admit I will have one eye on the antics of Coach Marachuk. He berates all within shouting distance. He must be a joy to play for.

If there is anybody out there............We need this "W".

Was thinking it was quiet around here myself Downtown. I hope everyone isn't holding their breath until next year. Good to hear that you're going down to the Brook as it's mini-ball giveaway night for the first 750 people in the door. Now you'll have something to throw at Marachuk.

Looking around the league and the way everyone is knocking each other off you have to think we have a pretty good chance against a team like SB especially with them coming off a loss to Hartford. Hopefully some of these close ones will go our way and maybe Hughes will come back. Then we can move up a bit.

I'm gonna chuk my mini-ball at that maniac Marachuk or his equally annoying son and I am going to dance in the aisles and play the Danes fight song on my kazoo when we win tonight. Hopefully Iati gets out of his slump and Levi gets out of his mini slump and we can hold on down the stretch. Cutting down on the turnovers will be key!

the crowd at the RACC for the women's game was excited by radio reports from downstate of the danes comeback in the second half ... but the final seconds in the car ride home, a different story ... munir fouled on a drive to the hoop with 5 seconds remaining and UA up three ... are you kidding ... go danes

I got an interesting call from a friend of mine who is a HS principal and was a varsity basketball coach at a school near Stony Brook.

He went to the game last night with his young son and a couple of his son's friends. Here are his observations......

1. He couldn't believe we only had 7 suited up for the game and was shocked to hear that we started 2 walk ons.

2. He said he could not believe how hard the UA kids played, he said they very well could have have quit at the half.

3. He couldn't believe Iati and Johnson were true freshmen.

4. He couldn't believe how undersized we were.

5. He thought it was tremendous how the 5 on the court were all working together as teammates even when things weren't go so well.

6. It was his opinion that we deserved the win and Macarchuk got the home call with 5 seconds to go.

7. He didn't expect us to win in overtime because he thought we were physically worn out from too many, logging too much time.

8. He also said he can understand why we have been in so many close games even though undermanned. It was the tenacity that they brought to the floor.

Over all he was impressed with what he saw. It's always good to hear observations from a neutral source.

Nice observations from an impartial source. I think our mental let downs---aka turnovers & poor decisions---are more from inexperience than end of the game fatigue. Except for Wyatt everyone else is a 1st or 2nd year player("Q" is a Jr. but 1st year DI). Let's hope these end of the game pressure loses turn into end of the game wins as the season progresses. Coaches are doing a great job in keeping up their intensity and reducing turnovers with the KISS system.

I think to answer Downtown's question about the interest (that thread got a little off track). There were at least four of us if not more at the women's game and couldn't listen to the men's game on the radio-even though some tried the radio reception isn't too good in the RACC. I only heard the last minute or two of regulation. In the future there will come a time when it is alot of easier to cheer for this team but right now I think this team is showing a ton of heart. Wins or losses aside this years team is defining what Albany basketball will become in the future and it's all about playing hard and determined. With $iena winning some games I am starting to have their fans give me a hard time again but to be honest if this teams keeps playing this way, win or lose I'm proud to root for this team.

Well stated, Dane Pound. I am with you. The arguments going on in this forum right now are really stupid.

I love this basketball team right now. Although the team may win the fewest games of any Albany team in the last 49 years, I am behind them 100%.

And I cannot wait until next year. For the last 32 years I have had to travel a long distance to attend basketball games at UA, but this year's games are well worth it even though I have yet to see them post a W. It does not make any difference because I see a very rosy future.

And although the fall is normally very busy for me and I cannot get to any football games, that does not diminish my loyalty to them. I follow them and wish them all the best in the near future.

Let's stop the stupid words and get behind all our teams!

DANEPOUND

Please enlighten me as how you arrived at your conclusion that my post re: Where is the intersest "got a little off track".

Perhaps the topic was not to your liking, but after having gone back and re-read the initial post, I don't see where, in your opionion, it went off track.

If anything I think your response was off track..........what does four of you going to the girls game on Wednesday night have to do with the topic, which was predominantly about the lack of interest shown on Thursday regarding the mens StonyBrook game? If anything, after listening to "two minutes" of the ending of the mens game I would have thought you would been chomping at the bit to get any information you could. I would assume that this site,"Home of Albany Great Danes Fans" would be one of the first places many rabid Danes fans would have gone to in search of that information. That did not happen. If you wish to sugar coat it and call it something other than lack of interest and that makes it more palatable for you..........suit yourself.

-When I said the thread got off track I didn't mean your initial post which was a good one. What I meant was that the rest of the thread got filled with the football vs. basketball stuff and it was hard to answer your original post after all that stuff.

-My point about people being at the women's game. Usually after I listen to a road game on the radio I get a sense of how the game went and feel I can comment on it on the board. Because I was at the women's game I couldn't listen to the men's game and didn't really feel I had much to add since I missed out on listening to most of it except the bitter end. I did come to the board to read your thoughts on the game since you were there.

I got an interesting call from a friend of mine who is a HS principal and was a varsity basketball coach at a school near Stony Brook.

1. He couldn't believe we only had 7 suited up for the game and was shocked to hear that we started 2 walk ons.

Did I miss something here ? Was Cheese not available ? The last game he seems to have any minutes was Northeastern.

DANE POUND

Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to clarify. Describing the last two minutes as the "bitter end" is well phrased.....unfortunately it could be used to describe too many Danes defeats this year. I hate to whine, but when is one of those games going to go our way???.......the players and the coaching staff surely deserve a break!

GO DANES..........HOOPS AND FOOTBALL!!!