UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Do They Really Want to be Like Rutgers?

ATL_DANE

I took issue with this idiot's article. Why should SUNY be the only state university to not offer a flagship college experience? I'm sure Florida fans are upset with having attended UF (sarcasm). I can't get the Florida fans to shut up... that's how much pride they have. God forbid New Yorkers one day talk with such pride about SUNY. It would be a crime. I'm guessing this is another private school snob.

http://www.observer.com/20070409/20070409_..._newsstory1.asp

:angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2:

What an Idiot!! This person obviously has an axe to grind. They probably do not understand that in the last decade and on average, less than 35% of UAlbany's overall budget comes from the state. This is just the typical mentality of a person who refuses to move forward in their thinking of how institutions fund themselves.

Get a life you clown.........

He clearly has an axe to grind.

Not exactly accurate reporting but what do you expect from the 5th rate newspaper in a 4 newspaper market.

GGD!

If you saw the letter I wrote...you would pee yourself. I took him to task...and would not be shocked if he tries to rip me in defense of himself. I gave him so many facts and figures his head will spin.

If you saw the letter I wrote...you would pee yourself. I took him to task...and would not be shocked if he tries to rip me in defense of himself. I gave him so many facts and figures his head will spin.

Dane96,

Yes, the article was ridiculous and unbelievably one-sided.

Would you care to post here any of your rebuttal?

Thanks

"In the meantime, I know of several parents who are discouraging their children from attending Albany. Word on the street has it that the school is best known today for its parties."

that's hilarious. After saying how great the Academics are at Buffalo, Stony Brook, and Albany he turns right around and slams Albany for only being known as a party school. I literally read this and thought this was some highschool kid writing for his school paper.

Here was my letter to that clown (who has not yet had the courtesy to reply)

Mr. Golway:

Your article in the Observer today was loaded with inaccuracy and was poorly researched. Let me be brief in my points.

“With Buffalo leading the way, SUNY Albany and SUNY Stony Brook also rebranded themselves (as the University at Albany and Stony Brook University, respectively) and decided to get into the big-time sports game, too.”

This is entirely untrue. The re-branding of the former University Centers was totally independent of the move to Division One athletics. It was a move that was dictated from above (SUNY Central Admin) in an effort to give each campus their own identity instead of being lumped in together as SUNY University Centers.

“In the meantime, I know of several parents who are discouraging their children from attending Albany. Word on the street has it that the school is best known today for its parties.”

This is not “word on the street” as you so eloquently put it. This is a result of a poll conducted by the Princeton Review. The “poll” was flawed and to this date they have been unable to provide the original data sets or been able to replicate their results. It is based on opinion surveys sent out to college freshmen at campuses they select.

I do agree with you that these fine State sponsored schools provide an excellent education and in fact I am able to report that in the 10 years since I have graduated from the University at Albany the standards have risen so high that I would not be admitted to the 2006-07 incoming freshman class based on my GPA and SAT scores.

Yours etc.

JonUA97

Archived