UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Best Sports Story Poll

reeder

What was the best UA sports story this year?

I would vote for mens lax - being ranked 2nd and being so close to the final 4...Would say that basketball repeating and Volleyball hosting the first round games are just behind.

(tried to do a poll - not sure what happened)

There are so many to choose from.....

Seasonal Stories....

UA Lax.

AE Tourney stories....

Baseball, Softball

Individual Game Stories....

Lax vs John Hopkins

Baseball in AE Tourney over Bing 1-0

Men's Hoops AE Tourney over UVM at UVM

Phenominal track stories

and many, many others - it speaks volumes for where we are at in our rapid DI growth

Track and Baseball are still working on new stories - GO DANES!!!!!

Seasonal Stories....

UA Lax.

AE Tourney stories....

Baseball, Softball

Lax vs John Hopkins

Phenominal track stories

and many, many others - it speaks volumes for where we are at in our rapid DI growth

Indeed! I think how Patch broke it down by category is probably best. The growth in such a short period of time is really inredible, and Project 2010 is, from what I can tell, just getting underway.

Seasonal Stories....

UA Lax.

AE Tourney stories....

Baseball, Softball

Lax vs John Hopkins

Phenominal track stories

Indeed! I think how Patch broke it down by category is probably best. The growth in such a short period of time is really inredible, and Project 2010 is, from what I can tell, just getting underway.

Agreed. The pace of growth in the UA athletic department and its success has been amazing

Exactly - this poll should be held until the year is completely over - a very outside chance that the best story is still to be written

Exactly - this poll should be held until the year is completely over - a very outside chance that the best story is still to be written - UAalum72

I agree wholeheartedly, but I would still like to hear a list of nominees, as I am primarily a basketball guy even though I attend and follow many other sports.

I would be interested in the thoughts of others - who favor other sports.

I'm sure there are a few amazing things that don't even get reported wholeheartedly on this board

Great thread.

I have to go with the win at Vermont. Though my vote counts (albeit no paper trail) it really is probably tainted.

I follow the results of every sport and am pretty excited about the TV baseball game coming up on Friday. In fact, Alum72 is right - history has not yet been written and therefore I reserve the right to change my vote. For now, and for me, our rich basketball history makes the Vermont win the sweetest.

This has been a great year. In one year I went from pathetically checking the internet for score updates, to listening to basketball games on the internet, to now watching some of them! Who would ever have believed this would become a reality? Back in the sixties only rich people had the internet.

This is great.

Back in the sixties only rich people had the internet.

No, back in the sixties only nerds punched paper cards to enter data into the school's mainframe computer. We had to go to the library for out-of-town newpapers to look up stuff. The internet began when, late 70's, mid-80's? And didn't become common until much later.

Back in the sixties only rich people had the internet.

No, back in the sixties only nerds punched paper cards to enter data into the school's mainframe computer. We had to go to the library for out-of-town newpapers to look up stuff. The internet began when, late 70's, mid-80's? And didn't become common until much later.

I published an article that briefly discussed the creation of the Internet and how the Internet basically has its genesis with our Government and the military, but I think this wikipedia entry sums it up as best as anything I could find (reading "Telnet" sure takes me back!):

The USSR's launch of Sputnik spurred the United States to create the Advanced Research Projects Agency, known as ARPA, in February 1958 to regain a technological lead.[1][2] ARPA created the Information Processing Technology Office (IPTO) to further the research of the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) program, which had networked country-wide radar systems together for the first time. J. C. R. Licklider was selected to head the IPTO, and saw universal networking as a potential unifying human revolution.

Licklider had moved from the Psycho-Acoustic Laboratory at Harvard University to MIT in 1950, after becoming interested in information technology. At MIT, he served on a committee that established Lincoln Laboratory and worked on the SAGE project. In 1957 he became a Vice President at BBN, where he bought the first production PDP-1 computer and conducted the first public demonstration of time-sharing.

At the IPTO, Licklider recruited Lawrence Roberts to head a project to implement a network, and Roberts based the technology on the work of Paul Baran who had written an exhaustive study for the U.S. Air Force that recommended packet switching (as opposed to circuit switching) to make a network highly robust and survivable. After much work, the first node went live at UCLA on October 29, 1969 on what would be called the ARPANET, one of the "eve" networks of today's Internet. Following on from this, the British Post Office, Western Union International and Tymnet collaborated to create the first international packet switched network, referred to as the International Packet Switched Service (IPSS), in 1978. This network grew from Europe and the US to cover Canada, Hong Kong and Australia by 1981.

The first TCP/IP-wide area network was operational by January 1, 1983, when the United States' National Science Foundation (NSF) constructed a university network backbone that would later become the NSFNet.

It was then followed by the opening of the network to commercial interests in 1985 . Important, separate networks that offered gateways into, then later merged with, the NSFNet include Usenet, BITNET and the various commercial and educational networks, such as X.25, Compuserve and JANET. Telenet (later called Sprintnet) was a large privately-funded national computer network with free dial-up access in cities throughout the U.S. that had been in operation since the 1970s. This network eventually merged with the others in the 1990s as the TCP/IP protocol became increasingly popular. The ability of TCP/IP to work over these pre-existing communication networks, especially the international X.25 IPSS network, allowed for a great ease of growth. Use of the term "Internet" to describe a single global TCP/IP network originated around this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet (1.1, "Creation").

What impresses me a great deal is how our growth is not in just one or two sports but across the board (pun intended) for men and women. Equally impressive are the fans that I see here who appear to me to be some of the most educated sports fans you'll find anywhere and who sincerely take interest not just in one or two sports but our entire program. The research and knowledge that goes into many posts that I read on here reveals a lot as far as our fan base goes. It's really cool to see.

Archived