UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

In the meantime......

danefan

So I'm now pretty sure this stadium will get built. It will either be built via tax dollars, or the University will borrow the money at zero or low-interest from a state authority.

With that being said I don't think it can reasonably be finished before the 2009 season, leaving us with two more football seasons at crappy University Field.

Does anybody know how much it would cost to tear down the bleachers on the visitors side and install "temporary" bleachers that seat about 3000-4000? Make that the home side for the next two years. I think you'll see an increase in attendance by doing that alone.

Could it cost anymore than say $100,000 for both seasons? A worthy investment if you ask me.

I thought about this the other day when I was at the Rutgers/USF game.

Check out the temporary bleachers Rutgers installed in the right end-zone. They add 4000 seats.

800px-RUFootballStadium.jpg

What, no one has an opinion about this?????

Well, I always have an opinion but you already know that, hah ha. No one is more in favor of the stadium than I am but 100k on a temporary fix doesn't make sense to me. It could be spent on other necessary upgrades... and there is no shortage there.

What makes you so sure that the stadium will go through? Just a guess? If it's inside sources just say that, I won't ask you to out anyone.

I'm so psyched about this stadium, I'll be flying up for games when it's built. That's one ass in the seat for Ooobaly.

No inside sources. Just my personal evaluation of the surrounding circumstances. Namely public announcement, comparable projects in NY, the fact that NO updates have been done to University Field; etc....

Dr. McElroy is not a shortsighted individual. If he didn't think this was going to happen in the near future, he would have made alternative arrangements to upgrade University Field so as not to impede or reverse the progress we have made.

With regard to Univeristy Field...the temporary fix is a hold-over until the stadium can get built. Sort of a build-up to when the stadium is finished. Start attracting new fans now. Plus, when you're borrowing $25+ million to build the stadium, what's another $100k? A drop in the bucket and well worth it if you ask me.

I've given money to the stadium initiative and will do more when I can. Bet your bottom $$ though, I'll be getting a few season tickets when the stadium gets built. I don't think 100k is a worthwhile investment unless we can then reuse the 100K seats somewhere else. Think what 100K could do for the 'CUE....put that money towards a new scoreboard or locker room upgrades. Again, if the seats could be used somewhere else then it seem like a worthwhile investment otherwise lets focus on getting the stadium built. JMO!

I've given money to the stadium initiative and will do more when I can. Bet your bottom $$ though, I'll be getting a few season tickets when the stadium gets built. I don't think 100k is a worthwhile investment unless we can then reuse the 100K seats somewhere else. Think what 100K could do for the 'CUE....put that money towards a new scoreboard or locker room upgrades. Again, if the seats could be used somewhere else then it seem like a worthwhile investment otherwise lets focus on getting the stadium built. JMO!

I would sure love a pair of large TV screens at the SEFCU. I admired the large TV screens/scoreboards at the Carrier Dome this weekend. Great for showing instant replays and highlights.

Like moving them from University Field in the fall to Fallon Field in the spring?

Seems like a smart move to me.

Anybody heard anything on the second phase of fallon field? Or is that tied in with the stadium project?

So I'm now pretty sure this stadium will get built. It will either be built via tax dollars, or the University will borrow the money at zero or low-interest from a state authority.

With that being said I don't think it can reasonably be finished before the 2009 season, leaving us with two more football seasons at crappy University Field.

Does anybody know how much it would cost to tear down the bleachers on the visitors side and install "temporary" bleachers that seat about 3000-4000? Make that the home side for the next two years. I think you'll see an increase in attendance by doing that alone.

Could it cost anymore than say $100,000 for both seasons? A worthy investment if you ask me.

I think it's a good idea, and if one was creative enough and had the right contacts- maybe even get a corporate sponsor to foot the bill in exchange for massive signage and such. You could probably do alot with the space to make it more inviting. I agree that they should do something.

I think it's a good idea, and if one was creative enough and had the right contacts- maybe even get a corporate sponsor to foot the bill in exchange for massive signage and such. You could probably do alot with the space to make it more inviting. I agree that they should do something.

Like wrap the entire set of bleachers in an advertisement like this:

BLEACHERS-5.jpg

I guess my whole point is that SOMETHING has to be done between now and the time the stadium gets finished. We cannot continue to play at University Field without any type of upgrades.

Can we afford to lose recruits for two seasons? That's what is going to happen.

Like wrap the entire set of bleachers in an advertisement like this:

BLEACHERS-5.jpg

EXACTLY. Looks impressive too.

If there were funds available, which I'm sure there aren't, we could build the new track pictured in the Project 2010 plan. Then you could move the bleachers up onto the current track. The problem is everyone has lots of ideas, but not lots of money. I'm sure if one of the fans writes a check for a couple hundred grand, we could do that, then move the bleachers to the track, field hockey, lax, baseball or wherever they're needed. I don't thin k anything will get done until we get a significant portion of the private fundraising accomplished.

Hopefully without being accused as a negative voice on this board let me state the obvious to a few of you.......

We can all recognize obvious problems but it's a whole different story to come up with viable solutions that the school can act on.

Remember we have to look at the total picture just not one segment.

Does the school really have 100s of thousands of dollars to use as band aids while waiting for the stadium to be built - we have serious problems with other athletic venues that are desperate for increased funding.

If the stadium is approved anyone want to bet on just the actual cost of the stadium overruns, remember it's a state project?

A simpler question when do you think Project 2010 will be completed?

The problem is we want a stadium?

The solution is to come up with somewhere near $60,000,000.00 while still fully funding an exceptionally good young DI athletic program. Remember there are many other major projects needed school wide, also.

I know there is a seemingly very negative tone to this post but that's the difference between the "Real" and the "Ideal".

It's times for solutions anyone out there have any?

Check out the temporary bleachers Rutgers installed in the right end-zone. They add 4000 seats.

800px-RUFootballStadium.jpg

BEEN THERE DONE THAT

I believe it was during the DII time period - the move was attempted

Fans did not like it/Coach did not like it

The best reason NOT to do this though is what I would refer to as SUNY economics

If you spend that kind of money to temporarily fix the situation -

you will be expected to live with the TEMP fix for another 10 years

I'm not saying that we shouldn't attempt to make improvements but patience is required for now.

Seating at Fallon Field should be a higher priority

Archived