UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Plates

ATL_DANE

Ten years ago, "University at Albany" was an option for a license plate in NY. I know because I owned one. What's happened? I noticed a community college as an option but no Oooobaly? Come on people.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/col.htm

• 6 months later...

Just as an FYI, I found out that there are no new plate designs moving in the Assembly or Senate due to current litigation by the DMV. I believe it is because it actually might be the right of the Commissioner to create the new designs rather than having it go through actual legislation. So the Legislature can not move on any bills that have to do with plate designs. Which would include if UA pushed for a plate design at this point..which there currently is no bill, but just saying. I wish I had more info on the litigation but I don't.

So let me get this right -- there is a dispute over who should have the opportunity to create the plate design? Is this ridiculous or what? :(

New York state government at its best.

"Creating conflict one useless issue at a time."

So let me get this right -- there is a dispute over who should have the opportunity to create the plate design? Is this ridiculous or what? :(

Its more of a question of legality. Through regulations the Commissioner legally has the right to deal with it or is it something that has to be done with Legislature approval. I believe it is more of a legal issue, rather than who really wants to do it. I would assume the Legislature could care less and would want the Commissioner to take over it, but that's just my guess.

I also don't know who brought about the litigation, it could have been a NYS citizen who is sueing the state dmv...

Probably not a NYS citizen (just guessing):

Would the lack of availability of a UAlbany custom plate through the DMV give rise to the requisite injury-in-fact (i.e., referred to as the requisite "case or controversy" or "Article III standing" in the federal courts) for a NYS citizen to bring such an action in New York state court? Hmmm, not so sure.

Given that there is no UA plate available, seems to me that a citizen would have to seek relief via an Article 78 proceeding (but that doesn't really seem right in this context because what adverse decision of the administrative agency (to wit, the DMV) would you be appealing from?) or maybe even a writ of mandamus to compel the DMW to produce and sell a UA custom plate? Quite an odd use of the writ, if I do say.

I think us citizens are "SOL" until the powers that be come up with the plate on their own.

D96 & Danefan: Any thoughts that you would be willing, or are able, to add?

I find it unbelievable that the legislature of one of the most influential soveriegn bodies in the WORLD spends one iota of time reviewing and voting on vanity license plate designs.

Its called a delegation of duties. Maybe our elected officials should consider using it more so they can spend time on important issues - like say the disparity between the downstate and upstate economies.

I find it unbelievable that the legislature of one of the most influential soveriegn bodies in the WORLD spends one iota of time reviewing and voting on vanity license plate designs.

Its called a delegation of duties. Maybe our elected officials should consider using it more so they can spend time on important issues - like say the disparity between the downstate and upstate economies.

Or perhaps it is time to finally split the state in two alongside the Bear Mountain Bridge so the logjam should be ended. the Nasty Nine shouldn't be screwing up the othe 53.

Who else here is for the splitting of New York in two?

Or perhaps it is time to finally split the state in two alongside the Bear Mountain Bridge so the logjam should be ended. the Nasty Nine shouldn't be screwing up the othe 53.

I'm for it also, but the Bear Mountain bridge is a little too north for me. I'd split it right at the Northern borders of Rockland and Westchester Counties.

I'm for it also, but the Bear Mountain bridge is a little too north for me. I'd split it right at the Northern borders of Rockland and Westchester Counties.

The Bear Mountain Bridge and the northern borders of Rockland (with Orange) and Westchester (with Putnam) are pretty much one and the same by a less than a half-mile margin. I only used that because it's a visible landmark.

The Bear Mountain Bridge and the northern borders of Rockland (with Orange) and Westchester (with Putnam) are pretty much one and the same by a less than a half-mile margin. I only used that because it's a visible landmark.

Yeah true.

For some reason I looked at the map real quick and saw the Newburgh Beacon Bridge. You'd think I didn't live in Orange County my whole life.

Bear Mountain Bridge it is. :blink:

Archived