UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

OK, so I have to say as I sit here in my office in the sky the monday after what turned out to be a pretty disappointing weekend, I am having the following thoughts:

1. Good season (not the use of the word "good"). Not great, but not bad.

2. I'm looking forward to next season without a doubt. We will lose a good amount on defense, but we should be able to reload and pick up where we left off. We need to solidify the kicking game in the off-season. Lynch is a JR on the roster, but we lose Fralicker to graduation and he will be sorely missed. I'm not sure who, if anyone, is waiting in the wings, but I hope Fordie pulls a kicker out of his hat.

3. We are looking at a ridiculous OOC schedule to start next season. I hope Espisito is named starter prior to spring ball. Competition is good, but for a QB rhythm and timing is so important. Vinny needs to get a ton of snaps in the spring to be ready for next year. He played pretty well in the beginning of the season, but got a little out of sync at the end.

4. We are a running team. We always have been and we probably always will be. Its football in the northeast. We have found a back that will last us the next two years and that is exciting.

------------

Now looking forward in the offseason. Some things I'd like to see get done:

1. I'd like to see the UAlbany and/or the NEC ask Don Hansen and the Sports Network to stop ranking and including us in the "Mid-Major" moniker. It hurts us for at-large consideration and it hurts us for recruiting.

2. The NCAA needs to step up and expand the playoffs. It may not happen next year, but by 2009 it needs to be done.

3. Finalize the stadium. Get some final answers. FINAL! Then start a marketing campaign in the early summer.

4. Do something with University Field to hold us over until the stadium gets built. At least replace the away side bleachers with something a little safer. Increase concessions, etc....

5. Get the TU on board. Make a conscious effort to get the TU involved. Sit down with the Sports Editor and EIC and lay it on the line. If they don't want to be a part, then cut them off.

6. Get all of our games on TV. Both home and away if there is a TV crew there.

7. Don't forget about the football program in the offseason. This is to the SID. Update the website with something at least twice a month.

8. Make a big deal out of national signing day! Please!!!!!!!!!!!! Make an announcement, hold a press conference, invite the local kids that sign (if NCAA allows it - not sure). Make a big deal about it! If the University doesn't care why should anyone else?

I will add my 2 cents fwiw. I agree with every point that you made danefan. I will add a very important one from what I witnessed on Saturday, I know we are trying to be more balanced by throwing but lets not choose the biggest game of the year to be more of a passing team. WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM. When we ran, we were successful and with the exception of the TD to Wall when we threw we were not.

I got to tell you when we tied it up early in the third we should of kept running, even if it was to keep their qb off the field. The TOP is ridiculous and it looks like we were dominated when we were gettting 6 yards a carry in ther first half. I am, positive we would have sprung McCarty for another big gainer if we kept pounding. They really exposed our weak underbelly with the pass...credit their staff for that. I still think Simpson should of kept blitzing because we got sacks in the first half and none in the second. I know they were trying to double the rec's but if we blitz 8-9 someone would get to him or keep him from a big gainer. Oh well.

The things I would change or finalize in the off season is are we moving on from the NEC? If an AQ is awarded to the NEC great we will be overmatched in the playoffs, if not we have to move on. They need to establish publically their plan no matter what happens with expansion of the CAA that we are going to 63 or at least 45. The stadium is an obvious point. They need to finalize this and move on. If it works with state funding great if not we need $ for renovations on a HUGE basis for UF. It needs to resemble an FCS facility at the very least.

NEC Champions was a good start I believe we are talented enough to win it again next year with our Offense in tact. D will be a work in progress burt we have a good nucleous in place. This OOC schedule is death and I would like someone from the athletic dept tell me why this is as such a good idea. I want to hear them say this is for our transition to full scholarship football. If not then maybe Dayton's schedule is not the worst idea. We would beat Union and RPI sensless if we are going to stay MID MAJOR!!!! WE HAVE TO KNOW WHERE UA IS GOING!!!! I have been told but I need to hear it again!

I agree on annoucing the direction of the program. Why is it bad to say it out loud? It would be great for recruiting to have a tentative timeline in place.... Of course it will be tentative but why would it be bad? Stony Brook was recruiting kids with their plans long before they came to fruition. We knew they wanted to go full scholly 5 years before they actually did and why is that bad? Someone in our admin obviously thinks its bad.

I agree that the schedule is crazy if we aren't going anywhere with it. With Northeastern's apparent demise (who really knows, but its not looking good for Northeastern), we seem to be positioning ourselves to take an affiliate spot in the CAA. I hope that happens sooner rather than later.

Lets face it, scholarships or not, the NEC will hold us back. Lets make a move. We'll probably get pounded for the first few years, but is being .500 in the CAA with a huge upside, better than being stagnant and winning the NEC? I think so.

The other thing is this:

We haven't moved much since 2002. We won the NEC then, got beat by full scholly teams, didn't make the playoffs and played in a crappy bowl game. Same thing we did this year. Sure the win over Delaware was great. But I'm not so sure it has had the lasting effect I thought it would.

The other thing is this:

We haven't moved much since 2002. We won the NEC then, got beat by full scholly teams, didn't make the playoffs and played in a crappy bowl game. Same thing we did this year. Sure the win over Delaware was great. But I'm not so sure it has had the lasting effect I thought it would.

I agree whole heartedly.

1) Announce our intentions in regard to the program. Say it out loud.

2) We must break ground on that stadium next year, it's been long enough.

3) We need to move beyond the NEC. I hope we're lobbying to get into the CAA or that we're on their "waiting list". We have done great. UA football is fantastic but we've maxed out and it's time to move up.

4) Don't let the state hold us back. God forbid if they don't give us funding, we need to start public fund raising and go down the bond route.

Think big! That doesn't happen too often in Albany.

Can anyone shed light on the scholarship situation. Where are we currently? What is the max allowed by the NEC? What needs to be done to move to a full scholarship football and how realistic is it that we go full scholarship in the "near" future. I know there is a limit on how many can be given out in the NEC.

Great question bosiydid and I will amnswer. Dane 96 and Danefan correct me if I am wrong. UA gives 30 full rides currently. The NEC allows currently 30 scholarships/rides over a 4 year period of time. The rumor is to keep Albany happy they will upgrade to 45 which makes everyone in the NEC with the exception of CCSU and Monmouth uncomfortable.

I was told 2 years ago by the highest of high sources that full scholarship football at UA is absolutly going to happen!!!! They need a new conference to go to if they wish to upgrade to the full allotment of 63 which is where UA is headed. With the CAA expansion in the next year or two I do see UA moving into the slot vacated or created in this time frame which means UA would have to ramp up to a minimum of 50 to play in the CAA. I would bet the ranch they would go to 63 if they went to 50. Title IX has to be dealt with but IMHO that shouldn't be a big deal.

I think it is realistic that the above scenario occurs. The timetable I think will coincide with 2009 or 2010 season. The stadium issue or UF's renovation needs to be dealt with at the same time. Remember we will be going after the same kids as Delaware once this occurs and their facilities look like an NFL stadium in comparison to ours.

We will be at the full 30 ride allotment next season. No kids are on full rides as of now. The schollys are spread out over 60 something kids.

Where we end up depends a lot on other schools. Ie: Northeastern, CAA expansion with Georgia State and Old Dominion, etc....

There are so many factors to consider:

NEC auto-bid

Title IX

Stadium

Conference Affiliation

New president

etc......

We are getting screwed big time being in limbo with a president. Dr. McElory can only do so much on his own without support from the top.

Great question bosiydid and I will amnswer. Dane 96 and Danefan correct me if I am wrong. UA gives 30 full rides currently. The NEC allows currently 30 scholarships/rides over a 4 year period of time. The rumor is to keep Albany happy they will upgrade to 45 which makes everyone in the NEC with the exception of CCSU and Monmouth uncomfortable.

I was told 2 years ago by the highest of high sources that full scholarship football at UA is absolutly going to happen!!!! They need a new conference to go to if they wish to upgrade to the full allotment of 63 which is where UA is headed. With the CAA expansion in the next year or two I do see UA moving into the slot vacated or created in this time frame which means UA would have to ramp up to a minimum of 50 to play in the CAA. I would bet the ranch they would go to 63 if they went to 50. Title IX has to be dealt with but IMHO that shouldn't be a big deal.

I think it is realistic that the above scenario occurs. The timetable I think will coincide with 2009 or 2010 season. The stadium issue or UF's renovation needs to be dealt with at the same time. Remember we will be going after the same kids as Delaware once this occurs and their facilities look like an NFL stadium in comparison to ours.

Ruler,

Interesting post. I have a couple questions to bounce off you (or anyone else who will answer them) if I may: (1) What is the talk of expansion for the CAA? Are they looking to add some teams and have, e.g., a north and south division?; (2) If we joined the CAA for football, would we join that conference for all sports (i.e., basketball)?; and, finally, (3) how realistic is it that we will join the CAA for, at the very least, football?

I used to be against joining the CAA for, let's say basketball, but I'm starting to rethink my position on that and may be in favor of such a move. Thoughts?

Archived