UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stony Brook Law!

ATL_DANE

This must be the exciting SBU news that Governor Spitzer was talking about when questioned after the State of the State. Once again, UAlbany, Albany and the Capitol District misses an opportunity. We add America's millionth journalism program instead of trying to acquire Albany Law.

Let's all just stand around and watch the other university centers pass us by. I have the title for the next book to be published by UA "How not to succeed without really trying"

Is any one else frustrated? Man, it must be clear that I am.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/gia...0,5853495.story

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read this. Sorry, but its true.

Ken Lavalle seems to be the difference between UAlbany and Stony Brook. Guy seems just to get things done for SBU.

BTW, its not a very good law school and that's why its up for sale.

They need SBU as much as SBU needs them, which is why this will probably happen.

On the other hand the same cannot be said for Albany Law. Albany Law doesn't need UAlbany. That is the largest hurdle in thinking of buying Albany Law.

All the local politicans are saying we don't have flagships. We don't need freaking legislation to create flagships. It's being done through pure aquisition. The local politicans are just not smart enough to see that in comparison their university center is falling further and further behind. Unless we get some major announcement look these plans:

1) UB is getting a whole new campus and 14k students ($1.6 Billion).

2) SBU is getting a freaking law school

3) Both have new stadiums

4) Both will be comprehensive universities with huge populations when it's all done.

It doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist to see what's going on!!! Legislation is not necessary to create flagships. They're building them as we speak.

Nice update on your sig by the way. :-(

Yeah, it pained me to underline the "Former" on the signiture line but it's the truth. No sense fooling myself. I'm logging off for the day before I hear any more crappy news.

Maybe Binghamton is getting a medical school? Or, UB will announce plans they're building a replica of the big house? UA will get a nerf football and a pat on the back like we're special needs kids.

Yeah, it pained me to underline the "Former" on the signiture line but it's the truth. No sense fooling myself. I'm logging off for the day before I hear any more crappy news.

Maybe Binghamton is getting a medical school? Or, UB will announce plans they're building a replica of the big house? UA will get a nerf football and a pat on the back like we're special needs kids.

you need to stay positive. It'll all work out in the end.

We've all made our voices heard. We have to have some faith in the people who are representing us in state government. We know they are aware of whats going on, thats half the battle. Let's not lose all perspective and heart. At this point, we have to make do with the hand dealt.

New York Newsday:

"The idea of a law school for Stony Brook University is just a baby concept, but if it matures quickly into reality, it would add immensely to Stony Brook's drive to become a comprehensive university, a downstate SUNY flagship."

"First, Gov. Eliot Spitzer is paying a lot of attention to public higher education. In his State of the State address, he talked about the need for flagship campuses in both Buffalo and at Stony Brook, and he understands the centrality of Stony Brook to the Island's future high-tech economy.

Second, the chairman of the State Senate Committee on Higher Education, Sen. Kenneth LaValle (R-Port Jefferson), a valued friend of Stony Brook, is enthusiastic about the idea. In fact, he's pushing to get something done on this possible acquisition as part of the budget negotiations."

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpl...0,3121513.story

you need to stay positive. It'll all work out in the end.

I have to be honest. I don't have the optimistic outlook some do. These things get momentum and then that's it. There comes a point where there's no going back. I'm not say we hit that point yet, but the bus is certainly travelling in that direction. Just my two cents.

Even if they get a law school, it's not going to be good anytime soon. It'll be a safety law school.

No totally true. What it will become is an alternative to Brooklyn, Cardozo, St. Johns, Hofstra, Seton Hall, Pace and Albany Law for the majority of law students that don't get a scholarship to law school.

The only alternative to a private law school and over $100,000 in loans is to go to get a scholarship (rare) or to go to Buffalo.

Downstaters in general usually don't make the treck to Buffalo regardless of tuition. However, if they had a cheaper alternative on Long Island there will be an influx of students who would have gone to the schools listed above but are instead going to SBU. Especially in the economy stays on the slope it is on today.

I see a SBU Law school becoming a Top 100 school in the country in less than 10 years. Location and cost are in their favor which is huge for law students.

Touro law school is no where I would go, but if SB buys it out, that would be a different matter over time.

I heard from a former classmate, and now alumna, that Albany Law School just made it into the top 100 (top 2 tiers) for top law schools. This is huge news if true! Has anyone else seen the law school rankings for US News and World Reports?

I'm telling you all, UAlbany is missing out big by not seeking out some sort of formal association with Albany Law School!!!

No, still Tier 3 for Albany law as of the 2008 rankings. Should be getting closer though.

US News rankings are ridiculous if you actually look at their methodology. One of the greatest factors used is endowment. #'s 75 through 100 combined probably don't have the endowment of Harvard or Yale alone.

Archived