UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flagship Update

ATL_DANE

At the Day at the Races breakfast, Pres. Philip spoke about UA's future. He mentioned how the flagship issue is somewhat driven by the fact that UB and SB are AAU affiliated, which is largely due to their medical schools and engineering, and that UA was working to become AAU. The new undergraduate nano engineering program was the catalst for this. He also talked about the coming budget problem, as Patterson is talking about another 7% cut, which would be more than difficult. He also reiterated our commitment to building the stadium.

We really need to get in touch with our legislators to stop treating SUNY as a typical state agency. Our ft faculty/student ratio has gone to 27/1 with the latest budget cuts, and that hurts us tremendously.

Thanks for the update alum73. Most of that update is really positive. I agree completely that we need to get AAU membership. Did Pres Philip mention when we will enroll our first undergrad engineering students? Engineering students tend to be really smart and that translates into great incoming SAT and GPAs. If we could get our undergraduate engineering program ranked half as well as the Nano program overall that's a big plus.

The stadium is a must. We need to get that done regardless if we have to beg, borrow or steal. A stadium is a requirement for any major conference and that therefore impacts all sports. We need to break the log jam.

I really hope we get ranked in US News this year. We're the last SUNY Center not ranked. I noticed 7 of the 10 UC schools made last year's cut. New York needs to step up. I'll be contacting the Capitol District legislators and I would hope we would all do so.

Thanks again for passing on that update.

He did say the students would be 1500+ SAT (he's old school 2 part score), or maybe because he was talking to old alums), that we would compete with Harvard, MIT, Berkley, etc. for. Also our incoming freshman had a mean SAT of 1150 and averages of 90+.

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Zimpher avoided using the term "flagship" to describe the system's premiere schools, but did indicate that she saw value in pumping funding into SUNY's four research and medical centers to boost their "greatness."

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=REGION

She says she'll have a plan done in 6 months. It should be interesting to see what support she has for the UB2020 legislation.

I think we should all write to her chancellor@suny.edu and express our concerns.

rec'd the following e mail earlier today:

PLEASE NOTE TIME CHANGE: THIS EVENT WILL NOW BE HELD AT 2:15 p.m.

ON THURSDAY, JUNE 4.

(The original time was 11:00 a.m.)

To the University at Albany Community

Please join me on Thursday, June 4 at 2:15 p.m. in the Atrium of University Hall as we officially welcome the new SUNY Chancellor, Dr. Nancy L. Zimpher, to our campus and to the Capital Region.

In February, the SUNY Board of Trustees voted unanimously to name Dr. Zimpher the 12th chancellor of SUNY, the largest comprehensive system of public higher education in the country. Chancellor Zimpher has stated one of her first orders of business is to visit all campuses in the SUNY system. We look forward to helping her begin her state-wide tour with a visit to UAlbany.

School of Business Dean Donald Siegel, and members of the business and legislative community will also be with us for an important announcement about the University at Albany School of Business.

UAlbany's School of Business is one of the premier public business schools in the Northeast, renowned for innovative contributions to the business and accounting professions through discovery and the application of new knowledge.

Our announcement will be the next step in positioning the School as a world-class center for learning, networking and innovation for business professionals throughout the Capital Region and the State of New York.

I hope you will be able to join us to welcome Chancellor Zimpher and to celebrate an exciting new chapter for our School of Business.

Sincerely yours,

George M. Philip

Interim President

University at Albany

Please Note: Free parking will be available in the Collins Circle Visitors’ Lot.

"Zimpher avoided using the term "flagship" to describe the system's premiere schools, but did indicate that she saw value in pumping funding into SUNY's four research and medical centers to boost their "greatness."

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=REGION

She says she'll have a plan done in 6 months. It should be interesting to see what support she has for the UB2020 legislation.

I think we should all write to her chancellor@suny.edu and express our concerns.

Funny, I did that before I even saw this post.

As you may recall, I also was able to get to her when she was still the President at UC (Cincinnati, not Cali). I also asked the local Albany news outlets for updates on the legislation. This is too important to this university and the Capital Region not to act.

I heard back from one of the politicians I contacted concerning the flagship issue. He sounded optimistic that we can turn back this assault on UAlbany and the other 2 SUNY Centers. I'm not sure if he wants this posted on a chat board so I left off his name but he is senior in his party.

-----------------------------

"Thanks for your recent email regarding A2020.

I completely agree with you and believe the bill is unlikely to pass.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I will keep them in mind as this issue unfolds and try to be helpful.

Best wishes!"

As a business alum, I'm eager to see a new business school. I also like the new dean a lot. Young guy who is aggressive.

I hope this is a major announcement and not a "major" announcement, as in not really news worthy. The big ticket items UAlbany needs in no special order.

Stadium

Nano College Undergraduates (and subsequent #1 rating by US News Best Engineering Schools)

More professional programs (aka a deal with Albany Law)

Business School naming rights (my name is available, lol)

I heard back from one of the politicians I contacted concerning the flagship issue. He sounded optimistic that we can turn back this assault on UAlbany and the other 2 SUNY Centers. I'm not sure if he wants this posted on a chat board so I left off his name but he is senior in his party.

-----------------------------

"Thanks for your recent email regarding A2020.

I completely agree with you and believe the bill is unlikely to pass.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I will keep them in mind as this issue unfolds and try to be helpful.

Best wishes!"

SoCal,

Who knows but....I got in essence the same response back from two different people. Stating basically that without the other SUNY Centers, this plan will not go through. Again, no idea how accurate that is but both contacts will cast a vote should this come up for a vote.

Could the announcement be the new Ernst & Young Business School at UAlbany?

We need to get more support than $500k to name the business school after them... Then again, once their name is on the school they have a vested interest in keeping it up.

Could the announcement be the new Ernst & Young Business School at UAlbany?

We need to get more support than $500k to name the business school after them... Then again, once their name is on the school they have a vested interest in keeping it up.

It will definitely be more than $500k. Alumni at Deloitte donated $500k to the school of business which got them an endowed scholarship (or professorship - I can't remember). I would imagine the naming rights to one of the best business schools in the nation would bring 7 figures.

Archived