UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Starting Five Predictions

[still on the fence about purchasing plane tickets for Dec Siena game. I was an outspoken critic of the deal and to come means I will eat my words. ]

I also think you should come up for the game. I also was not a big fan of the way the deal was done and the knick certainly is not a Mecca for college basketball like the arenas at Kansas, Duke or UCLA; but as someone said to me you are not going to want to miss the next time UA beats siena. It will absolutely kill the lcc fans who think their team is invincible. Will it happen this year? I don't know, but it is going to happen again a lot sooner than the siena fans think and it will be very enjoyable.

Also, I was originally going to miss this game to because I had a Toronto trip planned, but since the NFL wanted too much money(you have to buy 3 games including an exhibition game just to see the game I was going to) I will probably be at the lcc-Albany game.

This years game?

Yes, I have been to them all. (I think actually, since 1968). The D-1 victory was sweet and I celebrated late into that night at some tavern not yet in existence following Albany State's 1977 win at the lcc-arc (when only one of the teams was D 1). We re-toasted each time the ESPN scroll showed the result. After the 1977 win I suppose we just drank someplace familiar - probably outside.

But the defeats since have been wrenching. And the return trips home most unpleasant.

[*]The overtime, when Jamar nearly lost his life taking the final shot, yet there where was the whistle?

[*]The double-overtime when our guys got to the line so many times at the end, needing to make only one, but made none. This was the unkindest cut of all and I near vomited after a bad dream somewhere in the skies over Georgia.

[*]Then there was last year. I will always believe we were out coached to an 0-8 start. The comeback was fierce but I'd seen it before and somehow knew the conclusion even before it arrived.

Two of you are suggesting I come back? I'm not going to lie, I don't like the deal but I want to return. Its always been my desire to sit at midcourt, as much for the site line as for a chance to spew venom right in among the Siena elite, elbow to elbow. How much fun would it be if we could sit one game, boy, girl, boy, girl (reminds me that I've actually seen some cute siena girl students there - unlike the husky, grass grazing Indian coeds of yesteryear).

Barring catastrophic economic freefall, which we can't rule out, I do imagine I'll make the trip. And hopefully at the end the beer will again be real cold and because I refuse to grow up, my parting words to siena supporters will be as vile, I mean more vile, than ever. (its all in fun.)

Yeh, thinking back over the last 3 games or so (probably not last seasons game) we really squandered some opportunities to win. Like you said.....missing FT after FT was a deep cut. Jamar getting drilled taking that last shot was also hard to stomach. The game went into overtime and we unraveled from there. Siena is lucky as hell to have the great win record that they have, a bounce here or there and this thing is pretty even. The pendulum will eventually swing, while it stands as a daunting task this season they can be beat. Our two biggest issues from last year were they were much more athletic/quicker and we couldn't deal with the press. This years team should close the athletic gap and I'm not sure about the ball handling to deal with the press.

Should be a good one, I wouldn't be surprised if they came in overconfident. After all, they are already calling it the Siena cup, Kenny remarked (with a $iena eating grin) how he was never gonna lose to UA, or something to that effect. I'd love to send him packing with a loss in the final meeting.

• 1 month later...
So now that Al has decided to transfer what does our starting five look like?

Same that I had a couple of months ago.

Starting the season's last game:

PG Raffa

SG Ambrose

SF Aronhalt

PF Connelly

C Gifford (I hope he develops enough, anyway.)

No change.

So now that Al has decided to transfer what does our starting five look like?

Same that I had a couple of months ago.

Starting the season's last game:

PG Raffa

SG Ambrose

SF Aronhalt

PF Connelly

C Gifford (I hope he develops enough, anyway.)

No change.

Hopefully Giff will man up start to deliver some more, he is an upper class man now, his team needs him.

Archived