UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Starting Five Predictions

What the heck....I'll take a stab at it

- Josh Martin

- Tim Ambrose

- Jerel Hastings (at least at the beginning of the season)

- Brian Conelly

- Al Turley

While we all believe we have some good talent in Raffa, Lindfors, Aronhalt, Barraza and Johnson......it remains to be seen how quickly they adjust to the D1 game. I'm hesitant to put anyone I haven't seen into the starting lineup. I'm so psyched about this years team.....have a feeling, scoring (something we've all been bemoaning) won't be as big a problem. This team should finally start to turn the corner from slow tempo but physical and bruising to quick, fast and more athletic. I don't know how good we will be this year, because there are allot of unknowns with this roster, but 2 years from now I can see this team being SCARY!

How much longer 'till November? :P

I seem to go in your direction bosiy. I think it comes down to Ambrose and Johnson for the last spot in the starting five. Funny, even though this team is younger then last year, I think the depth is even stronger then last year.

G – Michael Johnson, JR

G - Josh Martin, SO

F – Brian Connolly, SR

F – Jerel Hastings, SO

C – Al Turley, SO

Allen, F (R-FR)

Ambrose, G (SO)

Barazza, F (SO)

Covington, C (SR)

Gifford, C (JR)

Raffa, G (FR)

Lindfors, F (FR)

Aronhalt, F (FR)

I seem to go in your direction bosiy. I think it comes down to Ambrose and Johnson for the last spot in the starting five. Funny, even though this team is younger then last year, I think the depth is even stronger then last year.

G – Michael Johnson, JR

G - Josh Martin, SO

F – Brian Connolly, SR

F – Jerel Hastings, SO

C – Al Turley, SO

Allen, F (R-FR)

Ambrose, G (SO)

Barazza, F (SO)

Covington, C (SR)

Gifford, C (JR)

Raffa, G (FR)

Lindfors, F (FR)

Aronhalt, F (FR)

I hear you GD06, I'm just hesitant to put an unknown into my preseason starting five. Mr. Johnson is an unknown, at least to me.

I will need to see the p&g scrimage before I could put a new dane into my starting lineup

my prediction

PG Martin

SG Ambrose

SF Hastings

PF Connelly

C Turley

The AE is going to be nasty next year with

UVM- Trimboli coming into his senior year, Blakely and that Big Ten Transfer that is a nasty threesome.

BU- The three best guards in the AE now if they only can get a post presence look out.

Bing- Lots of JUCO Transfers who played at higher level DI schools, hopefully the chemistry isn't there.

Hartford- Well coached and they just play really well as a team.

I see these four as our main competition and I agree in one or two years if we keep everything together look out.

what about maybe throwing Billy Allen into the starting 5? I know Hastings has some experience, but if he struggles on the offensive end like he did last year, I just can't see him starting, despite his defensive presence....Also, maybe coach goes with almost a 3 guard lineup and plays Ambrose at the 3? He showed that look a few times last year when he had Josh Iati and Ambrose all on the court at the same time...I'm gonna spice things up a little and go with a 5 out of the ordinary

Josh Martin

Anthony Raffa

Tim Ambrose

Brian Connelly

Al Turly

I'm sure this won't actually be the starting lineup...but i wouldn't be surprised to see this combo (or something like it) used for chunks of time during some games

If Raffa is as good as we hope I like the Cape Rockers starting five. It features two guys who can take their guy off the dribble and put a lot of pressure on the defense.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of strides Ambrose and Martin make this off season. If they prepare themselves over the summer like they're going to be starters they certainly have the edge.

I'm curious about Aronhalt, Allen and Barraza. Are they shooing guards? Small Forwards? I'm guessing Allen will play SF but who knows?

I don't see Martin and Raffa on the court at the same time.

I'm worried about Martin's consistency. The last 2 BU games were scary with him on we won the rgular season finale and with him off we lost in the tourney a week later in OT, he was like 0-8 (just 1 hoop could have made the difference.

Who knows if Raffa is DI ready (I sure hope he is)?

I would like to see Ambrose in the lineup but that's only going to happen if he learns how to play team defense.

If this team can pick up the pace a little I think Jerel will become more valuable offensively.

The only starter I see right now is Connelly at the 4.

Covington, Gifford and Turley (a nice threesome) will share the 5 unless one of them really improves.

Other then that in my opinion noone has proven they deserve to start but I believe their will be alot of competiton in the summer and the fall.

All the new guys and Allen (RS FR) are totally unproven until they prove themselves in DI play.

• 1 month later...

I was looking over this thread, and noticed just about everybody had Josh in their starting 5. With his departure from the team, along with the addition of McRae, I was curious to see if anyone wanted to take another stab at their starting 5? Mine would probably look something like this...

PG Johnson

SG Ambrose

SF Hastings

PF Connelly

C Turly

I would say that lineup would begin the season, but I would definitely have Raffa and Aronhalt in there by the time the conference schedule rolls around. Judging by last year, coach likes to ease the freshman into the rotation and doesn't wanna throw them into the wolves early (Josh, Ambrose and Turly all saw limited action early on), which is why i have Johnson and Hastings in there. Also, with games against Kansas, nova and depaul on the schedule, we might need all the experience we can get early on.

I rock the cape- I agree with your starting five.

Raffa and Aronhalt will probably crack the starting lineup by conference. But does anyone get the feeling Lindfors will redshirt next year? He looks like a great player in the films, but I worry about his post game as well as his size.

As for McRae I need to see this kid play live, or Barraza for that matter to put him in the starting lineup. Can't wait for the P & G scrimage. Definitly have to take a trip up from LI for it. Same goes for Billy Allen has anyone had an update on how he is progressing?

I rock the cape- I agree with your starting five.

Raffa and Aronhalt will probably crack the starting lineup by conference. But does anyone get the feeling Lindfors will redshirt next year? He looks like a great player in the films, but I worry about his post game as well as his size.

As for McRae I need to see this kid play live, or Barraza for that matter to put him in the starting lineup. Can't wait for the P & G scrimage. Definitly have to take a trip up from LI for it. Same goes for Billy Allen has anyone had an update on how he is progressing?

It is so difficult to put up the name of someone as yet unseen. I want to believe that Turley is going to come back to town with about 20 pounds of high school meat carved into 10 pounds of new muscle. If he evolves the way Coach probably envisioned, he can be a real factor down there, especially in conference games.

I was disappointed, to some degree, that Giff didn't develop to a greater extent between his first two years. He seems to be full of desire and heart, though, a good foundation to breakthrough. We could be real good underneath, experienced at the 3 and 4. If that happens guys like Raffa will have an easier time making adjustments to this level.

[still on the fence about purchasing plane tickets for Dec Siena game. I was an outspoken critic of the deal and to come means I will eat my words. ]

[still on the fence about purchasing plane tickets for Dec Siena game. I was an outspoken critic of the deal and to come means I will eat my words. ]

I also think you should come up for the game. I also was not a big fan of the way the deal was done and the knick certainly is not a Mecca for college basketball like the arenas at Kansas, Duke or UCLA; but as someone said to me you are not going to want to miss the next time UA beats siena. It will absolutely kill the lcc fans who think their team is invincible. Will it happen this year? I don't know, but it is going to happen again a lot sooner than the siena fans think and it will be very enjoyable.

Also, I was originally going to miss this game to because I had a Toronto trip planned, but since the NFL wanted too much money(you have to buy 3 games including an exhibition game just to see the game I was going to) I will probably be at the lcc-Albany game.

Archived