UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coaches Blog

08.18.08:

We are one week away from the first day of class. Our guy’s will be moving back on campus this weekend. We were fortunate enough to add an ACC transfer to our roster. I am not allowed to mention a name per NCAA rules but most of you have figured it out by now. All I can say is we added another talented student-athlete to our roster. We have taken great pride in recruiting quality people and this addition is no different. This is a topic that is often discussed in the staff meetings that I have with my assistants. We want student-athletes of high character who are going to represent our institution and program in a positive manner. This young man will help us in our quest to win another America East Conference Championship and another America East Conference Academic Championship for Men’s Basketball.

I have found myself glued to the T.V. every night watching the Olympic Games. Michael Phelps was unbelievable! Eight Olympic medals is impressive but what is even more impressive is that he accomplished this swimming so many different events. His relay teammates deserve a lot of credit as well. I would imagine that they were feeling tremendous pressure not to let Phelps down. He set 7 world records in 8 events. I have to believe that he is the greatest Olympian of all time. People are talking about him being the greatest athlete of all time. All I will say is you have to consider him in that discussion!

The other sport that I found quite interesting was the men’s and women’s gymnastics. The athletes are so talented and explosive. I did have trouble trying to figure out how the judges score each event. Several times I thought one gymnast scored higher than another and most of the time I was wrong. Watching the Olympics can give you a greater appreciation for a sport that maybe we don’t follow or know much about.

I cannot wait for the first day of class so we can start working with our players. I warned them all summer that BOOT CAMP was going to start on August 25th. Our goal is to play faster this year and we need to be in great shape to play at a quicker pace. We would like to push the ball more offensively and pressure the ball 94’ defensively. This team has an interesting make-up. We have a few players that need to play fast and a few that need the ½ ct. structure. It will be interesting to see how quickly and how well we will mesh.

I am hoping to get a chance to go to the U.S. Open but I am not sure I will be able to get away. My wife and I are avid tennis fans. I used to play a lot when I was younger. Every once in a while I will get out and play with our Women’s Field Hockey Coach Phil Sykes. He is very good and ruthless! He doesn’t even give me a chance!

I’ve had several requests from season ticket holders to have a “Meet and Greet” before the season. That is set for Thursday October 16th at 6 pm in the Hall of Fame Room. All season ticket holders will get something in the mail as we get closer to the event. Eric Jeremias in the Ticket Office will handle the event.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

08.18.08:

We have taken great pride in recruiting quality people and this addition is no different. This is a topic that is often discussed in the staff meetings that I have with my assistants. We want student-athletes of high character who are going to represent our institution and program in a positive manner.

Hmm---another thinly-veiled shot at Binghamton and that dog and pony show that they run there?

mike 10778, I think you're reading alot into Coach Brown's words.

To me he seems to have always talked about character and academics.

I guess that's the great great thing about all these sites and blogs - everyone gets to interpet them they way they want to.

08.18.08:

We have taken great pride in recruiting quality people and this addition is no different. This is a topic that is often discussed in the staff meetings that I have with my assistants. We want student-athletes of high character who are going to represent our institution and program in a positive manner.

Hmm---another thinly-veiled shot at Binghamton and that dog and pony show that they run there?

Coach Brown as well as Dr McElroy have both been quoted in a similar way long before Broadus and the current coaches got to Bingo. But Broadus is welcome to take this any anything else as a shot against him and his Bingo program, use it to motivate his team, etc. Especially if it works out as well as his attempt last March. :rolleyes:

Oh Im sure I am reading too much into it...thats just the way I am.... :-)

However, that combined with his comments last week about our "America East rival" showing up at Martin Brothers AAU games....

Cut me some slack. Im jonesing for some Albany news....cant wait for the season. Plus, a little controversy is always fun...

Cut me some slack. Im jonesing for some Albany news....cant wait for the season. Plus, a little controversy is always fun...

We all brother, we all are! Not before football though, this is the first season I'll have season tickets so really looking to get into UA football.

I'm glad to hear there's going to be a meet and greet this year. Great that it's scheduled early so I can plan for it.

"Our goal is to play faster this year and we need to be in great shape to play at a quicker pace. We would like to push the ball more offensively and pressure the ball 94’ defensively."

I think Coach Brown said that's the way he likes to coach when he was hired. It looks like this year he finally has the players to play that way. Should be fun to watch.

Archived