UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA and Albany Law School Partner to Offer J.D./M.B.A. Degree

MRSGDG

I wrote a TU letter to the editor a month or so ago that made it to print in support of a UAlbany and Albany Law partnership, as opposed to starting new SUNY law schools at SBU and BU. I knew that Albany Law would fight UAlbany starting their own law school so this was the next best alternative. This MBA/JD agreement is a nice step forward. I congratulate the administration but I'm hoping for a larger partnership in the years to come... like acquiring Albany Law. Currently, Albany Law has a number of MBA partnerships with area colleges: UA, Union and St Rose.

Keeping up with UB and SBU will require more than a joint degree program.

I wrote a TU letter to the editor a month or so ago that made it to print in support of a UAlbany and Albany Law partnership, as opposed to starting new SUNY law schools at SBU and BU. I knew that Albany Law would fight UAlbany starting their own law school so this was the next best alternative. This MBA/JD agreement is a nice step forward. I congratulate the administration but I'm hoping for a larger partnership in the years to come... like acquiring Albany Law. Currently, Albany Law has a number of MBA partnerships with area colleges: UA, Union and St Rose.

Why does every UA accomplishment end up with a 'that's not good enough reaction' ?

Why does every UA accomplishment end up with a 'that's not good enough reaction' ?

Because it's not good enough. Period. I have higher standards and expectations for what UA could become. Albany Law has 3 JD/MBA programs. This is not a major accomplishment. St Rose already had a similar program. SBU and UB have funds to start new law schools. I don't believe in "participation awards" or "new math". UA is going to have to push hard just to keep up with our SUNY peers. I believe in tough love and working hard. Winners win. Leaders lead. I want UA to be a winner and to be a leader and I believe they can.

On a side-but-still-related note, after law school, I explored the possibility of pursuing a M.S. in Taxation at UAlbany (Business School). Interestingly, several of the courses in that program are tax courses offered at Albany Law. At that time, and to this day I suppose, I wondered why that degree wasn't considered a joint degree or something to that effect.

To be honest this really isn't anything great.

You've been able to get joint degrees with Albany Law and UA in the past, including JD/MPA and JD/MS.

This isn't the type of affiliation we are talking about for progress. ATL_Dane is advocating for the full inclusion of Albany Law into the University. I agree with him.

This is just OK to me.

To be honest this really isn't anything great.

You've been able to get joint degrees with Albany Law and UA in the past, including JD/MPA and JD/MS.

This isn't the type of affiliation we are talking about for progress. ATL_Dane is advocating for the full inclusion of Albany Law into the University. I agree with him.

This is just OK to me.

Agreed!

It was also more of a general comment that it seems from ALT_Dane's posts and others that nothing is ever good enough... there is a difference between complaining (which I don't think is tough love) and discussing logical (one's that actually can happen with the lack of $ and laws a public school has to abide by) possible ways to better a public institution. It seems like sometimes people forget it is a SUNY and not a private school. The things a SUNY can do will be limited because it is public and uses public funds in a state that is in very difficult financial situtation. If you wanted to be an Alumni from a school that can do whatever they want, build whatever they want etc, than those ppl shouldn't have gone to a SUNY. Yes, compare UA to other SUNYs and some SUNYs have things we don't.... but UA isn't the center of SUNY even if you think it should be.

I am pro-SUNY and UA but I am also logical and do understand their limitations, and see no point in constantly bashing them (generally) or specifically UA when they actually try to better their institution.

It was also more of a general comment that it seems from ALT_Dane's posts and others that nothing is ever good enough... there is a difference between complaining (which I don't think is tough love) and discussing logical (one's that actually can happen with the lack of $ and laws a public school has to abide by) possible ways to better a public institution. It seems like sometimes people forget it is a SUNY and not a private school. The things a SUNY can do will be limited because it is public and uses public funds in a state that is in very difficult financial situtation. If you wanted to be an Alumni from a school that can do whatever they want, build whatever they want etc, than those ppl shouldn't have gone to a SUNY. Yes, compare UA to other SUNYs and some SUNYs have things we don't but UA isn't the center of SUNY even if you think it should be.

I am pro-SUNY and UA but I am also logical and do understand their limitations, and see no point in constantly bashing them (generally) or specifically UA when they actually try to better their institution.

All we are saying is that UA should be doing the things that UB and SBU are able to do. Which includes having professional schools. UA is operating under the same restrictive circumstances as UB and SBU and they seem to get it done. Why can't UA?

All we are saying is that UA should be doing the things that UB and SBU are able to do. Which includes having professional schools. UA is operating under the same restrictive circumstances as UB and SBU and they seem to get it done. Why can't UA?

My comment was a general comment in regards the trend of comments on many things.

I don't pretend to know the capabilities of UA having their own professional law school, or the politics behind it. But I do know that just because UA doesn't have one right now, doesn't mean people at UA aren't working on trying to do something about it, ie...taking this step forward.

Again, was more of a general comment and not specific to this topic.

I'm glad to hear that we are officially connected to Albany Med and now Albany Law. Although I don't feel it's wonderful news, it is good news. They are steps in the right direction. It could have been worse, with Philips coming in, and not have gotten anything NEW done in this period. Some may have been happier to see larger steps taken, as the agreement with AL wasn't a giant step.

Along with Albany Law and Albany Med, we have gotten exchange programs secured with Asia and South America. We have continued to entice IBM to invest in NanoCollege, with over 300million more a few months back. Philips created UAlbany day, gathering all of the public officials and the University people together. It appears things are being done behind the scenes, as we continue to seek a permanent president.

But, we certainly should not stop there, by no means. We do need to continue aggressively persuing progress. We need our own professinal schools. Law, Medical, Engineering.... and let's hope behind the scenes, it's being worked on diligently. It would be nice to be a fly on the wall in some of the university meetings, ones we aren't privy to...

I'm glad we have the world's leading Nanoscale science college in the world. But, we need to be able to offer engineering, law, etc.. with a tuition similar to that of the other SUNY schools. How to do that?

Now with that said, let's score a BIG time President... or hand the reigns over to Philips!

One notable difference between UA and UB is the campus foundation endowment.

Back in '05 Pres. Hall had a summary as part of the university "dashboard".

Albany's endowment was $16 million. Buffalo's was $345 million. (FWIW at that time Stony Brook was $19M, and Binghamton was $25M).

To analyze this is greater detailed you'd need to know how much was "unrestricted", but any way you cut it Buffalo's got much deeper pockets. But its safe to say that the bigger the endowment, the better the chance to find "seed money" without relying on the shrinking resources of NYS.

FWIW at the time this was reported, it showed UConn at $161M,and Delaware ay $868M :-0

Archived