UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Respect or Dislike?

I thought the headline of this story from one of the Bing stations was unusual - BU basketball picked to finish ahead of Albany Not "BU Basketball picked to finish fifth," but instead "ahead of Albany." Good to know they're still thinking of us down there on the tail end of Rt. 88.

I thought the headline of this story from one of the Bing stations was unusual - BU basketball picked to finish ahead of Albany Not "BU Basketball picked to finish fifth," but instead "ahead of Albany." Good to know they're still thinking of us down there on the tail end of Rt. 88.

We ARE the only SUNY program that has ever sniffed success...

Albany has the most success from the AE titles, but not the only SUNY to take a sniff. UB's best D-1 season ('04-'05), we finished the year 23-10, RPI of 46, lost the MAC title game with a tip-in with .5 left, and beat Drexel in the NIT (the only SUNY D-1 postseason win ever) before losing to St Joe's. Not a bad season at all, and from ESPN at the time:

Biggest [Tournament] snub: Buffalo. One point away from securing the Mid-American Conference's automatic bid, the Bulls were left out of the NCAA tournament despite finishing 8-2 in their last 10 games and not losing a single contest to any team with an RPI below 110. Led by MAC player of the year Turner Battle, Reggie Witherspoon's squad notched one more victory against an RPI top 50 club than the "last team in," UAB. With an RPI of 46 and playing their best basketball in the weeks preceding March Madness, the Bulls deserved to go dancing.

Albany has the most success from the AE titles, but not the only SUNY to take a sniff. UB's best D-1 season ('04-'05), we finished the year 23-10, RPI of 46, lost the MAC title game with a tip-in with .5 left, and beat Drexel in the NIT (the only SUNY D-1 postseason win ever) before losing to St Joe's.

Good point.

I remember tracking UB's scroes that year thinking they were a shoo-in for the tourney.

I should have qualified what I said by say "AE SUNY" teams. So far both Bingo and Stony Brook haven't made the strides that UA has made. Although I hear Bingo's got some recruits that UA "would have gotten if they could have"....

Albany has the most success from the AE titles, but not the only SUNY to take a sniff. UB's best D-1 season ('04-'05), we finished the year 23-10, RPI of 46, lost the MAC title game with a tip-in with .5 left, and beat Drexel in the NIT (the only SUNY D-1 postseason win ever) before losing to St Joe's. Not a bad season at all, and from ESPN at the time:

Biggest [Tournament] snub: Buffalo. One point away from securing the Mid-American Conference's automatic bid, the Bulls were left out of the NCAA tournament despite finishing 8-2 in their last 10 games and not losing a single contest to any team with an RPI below 110. Led by MAC player of the year Turner Battle, Reggie Witherspoon's squad notched one more victory against an RPI top 50 club than the "last team in," UAB. With an RPI of 46 and playing their best basketball in the weeks preceding March Madness, the Bulls deserved to go dancing.

I remember watching that MAC Title game. That was heartbreaking! That game was against Ohio University, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the respect of our program that season guys. Some of us at UB were cheering hard for you in the tourny as well. Although a few poo-poo UA earning the tourney spots in winning a "weak" AE, it's a championship nontheless, and winning any conference tournament is a tough task. And, no, I was not trying to one-up UA in the least. UB has only sniffed success; the only "good" years of UB basketball since D-1 in 1991 were from 2003 to 2006. Compared to UA's rise, our program is otherwise stagnant. I now understand the initial point of SB and BU's inferiority complex (which I missed). They will both have amazing arenas once SB's renovations are complete, but have done very little on the court to deserve them in comparison to UA's success.

Thanks for the respect of our program that season guys. Some of us at UB were cheering hard for you in the tourny as well. Although a few poo-poo UA earning the tourney spots in winning a "weak" AE, it's a championship nontheless, and winning any conference tournament is a tough task. And, no, I was not trying to one-up UA in the least. UB has only sniffed success; the only "good" years of UB basketball since D-1 in 1991 were from 2003 to 2006. Compared to UA's rise, our program is otherwise stagnant. I now understand the initial point of SB and BU's inferiority complex (which I missed). They will both have amazing arenas once SB's renovations are complete, but have done very little on the court to deserve them in comparison to UA's success.

If any more people leave Buffalo, they'll have to relocate UB to Florida, Texas or NC. Consensus: No one wants to live in Buffalo.

If any more people leave Buffalo, they'll have to relocate UB to Florida, Texas or NC. Consensus: No one wants to live in Buffalo.

I think the metro area population is fairly stable, people are just moving out of Buffalo to the 'burbs.

A UAlbany-UBuffalo game, would draw strong interest - alumni and students. UB may have slightly more to lose, but only slightly.

I'd love to see a UAlbany/Buffalo basketball game, and ALSO a UAlbany vs. (at) Buffalo football game!! Now that would be cool!!

Wouldn't suprise me if in the coming years, UAlbany and Buffalo are routinely the two highest computer ranked football teams in NYS as well (with 'Cuse falling fast). Wasn't UAlbany ranked #1 out of all teams in NYS in what was formerly called Division I-A and I-AA just two years ago?

(I recall the computer rankings lumping I-A and IAA in one poll, so you get more than just the 119 I-A schools; that's how UAlbany was able to pass teams like Syracuse and UB, who are, of course, I-A.)

Archived