UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Man, nothing like getting thrown to the wolves! At the #1 in the first round!

Anybody know how the brackets are done? It appears that only the top 4 are seeded so are the matchups done regionally?

UA has the worst record of any tournament team.

That said, I'm glad we're in. Good luck, Lady Danes!

I'm not sure how well people on this board follow field hockey, but UAlbany can play with anyone in the country.

They have just as good of a chance winning 4 games and becoming National Champions as anyone in the field.

If they play aggressively and put pressure on the opposing team, they can win it all.

Breakdown of UAlbany Record: 12-9

Games against present top 25 teams - 8

5 other games against teams receiving votes in final poll - 5

An additional game (victory) vs Michigan, who was ranked at the time.

Overtime losses - 3

One goal losses - 3

2 goal losses - 2

3 goal losses - 1

Record Last 5 games: 5-0

Record Last 7 games: 7-2 (including an overtime loss to #5 UCONN and one 1 goal loss)

If anyone is planning on heading down to Maryland, there is a football game at 3:30, so it should be quite the scene.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...category=SPORTS

In which McGuire praises the Field Hockey squad (among other unrecognized local college teams).

OT of this thread, but he also apparently ranks the order of importance of sports in the capital region as well:

Siena basketball

Albany basketball

Albany lax

Albany football

RPI & Union hockey

RPI vs. Union in football (one game only)

-_-

In which McGuire praises the Field Hockey squad (among other unrecognized local college teams).

OT of this thread, but he also apparently ranks the order of importance of sports in the capital region as well:

Siena basketball

Albany basketball

Albany lax

Albany football

RPI & Union hockey

-_-

He is more saying the fans and the media in the area rank the teams that way. Not necessarily his list personally and certainly not my list. I would take that first one out add St Rose basketball plus some other UA teams.

I do find it interesting that a couple of schools that are d1 in only one sport can get 2 teams mentioned while a particular school that is supposedly d1 can only get 1 team there.

Anyway it is nice for him to give some of the other deserving teams a mention today. It is something his paper rarely does.

Siena basketball

Albany basketball

Albany lax

Albany football

RPI & Union hockey

-_-

He is more saying the fans and the media in the area rank the teams that way. Not necessarily his list personally and certainly not my list. I would take that first one out add St Rose basketball plus some other UA teams.

I do find it interesting that a couple of schools that are d1 in only one sport can get 2 teams mentioned while a particular school that is supposedly d1 can only get 1 team there.

Anyway it is nice for him to give some of the other deserving teams a mention today. It is something his paper rarely does.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was his rankings. He has been a support of UAlbany in most of his columns.

Anyone heading down to Maryland for Saturday's 11:30am game?

Seeing that the selection committee put us at #16, they should have paired us up with Syracuse, the team that has the best record of all NCAA tournament teams. It would have been nice driving 2 hours down the road to host Syracuse, instead of driving to Maryland.

Wouldn't the group - UAlbany, UConn, Syracuse, and UMass - have made sense?

Team records wouldn't have been much different anyway.

One of the criteria for bracket selection was travel distance and cost, due to economic times.

The other group would have been: Penn St, Princeton, Duke, and Host Maryland.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-fieldh/spec-r...ieldhockey.html

Anyone heading down to Maryland for Saturday's 11:30am game?

Seeing that the selection committee put us at #16, they should have paired us up with Syracuse, the team that has the best record of all NCAA tournament teams. It would have been nice driving 2 hours down the road to host Syracuse, instead of driving to Maryland.

Wouldn't the group - UAlbany, UConn, Syracuse, and UMass - have made sense?

Team records wouldn't have been much different anyway.

One of the criteria for bracket selection was travel distance and cost, due to economic times.

The other group would have been: Penn St, Princeton, Duke, and Host Maryland.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-fieldh/spec-r...ieldhockey.html

I'm not familiar with NCAA scheduling in field hockey whatsoever. I do wonder, however, if the seeding committee tries to avoid scheduling opponents who have already met during the regular season. UA played Syracuse on October 1. If so, that might explain the longer distance that UA has to travel this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Maryland wound up winning the National Championship game yesterday with a 4-2 victory over Wake Forest. It's interesting to note that the seeds totally held up. The four seeded team were the final four, the championship was betwen the #1 and #2 seeds and was won by the #1 seed. It's also interesting to note how competative the scores were in the tournament.

Archived