UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ballgame...TD Buffalo, 42-24 with 2:53 left...Buffalo wins the MAC and should go to the Motor City Bowl on the same field they are about to win the conference in. There was word that Buffalo already accepted a spot in the International Bowl in Toronto, but this win may change that.

Side Note - Turner Gill is going to be out at Buffalo real quick. He is going to find a nice job somewhere in a big name conference.

Gill broke down and was crying. He was so happy for the program because of where it was just one year ago. Congrats to our SUNY counterpart and to a great coach that will be very hard for UB to hold on to.

A couple of thoughts.

First, I watched most of the game and I don't recall the word "SUNY" ever coming up. Did anyone hear something different? It's a shame because most people that watched that game have no idea that Buffalo = SUNY... or even what a "SUNY" is.

Second, I hope this finally puts to bed the total BS I've heard for years that SUNY can't compete in FBS football. "UAlbany should stay in FCS because UB is a laughing stock". "Why would UAlbany ever want to go FBS"?

SUNY can compete in FBS football. UAlbany should aspire to getting there. I know we have facility challenges. I know it wouldn't be difficult but that's why you set goals.

I will always hate those smug jerks at UB. President Simpson through UA and Bingo under the bus. I will give them credit for pushing boundries and not accepting this SUNY mediocrity argument. They've showed they can compete. We can compete too.

I hope this is a wake up call.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of talk on ESPN today about sunny Buffalo. Turner Gill is staying put. Buffalo will make another run next year. They have the bowl game against UConn on the 3rd. The winner walks away with $750,000. Not bad for one game?

I hope Albany can follow Buffalo. There is enough room in NYS for a fourth or fifth FBS team. Only a sunny school is big enough to fill that role. Its ours if the powers that be want it.

Lots of talk on ESPN today about sunny Buffalo. Turner Gill is staying put. Buffalo will make another run next year. They have the bowl game against UConn on the 3rd. The winner walks away with $750,000. Not bad for one game?

I hope Albany can follow Buffalo. There is enough room in NYS for a fourth or fifth FBS team. Only a sunny school is big enough to fill that role. Its ours if the powers that be want it.

I agree -- right now it's only Buffalo and Syracuse as the state's FBS schools, unless I'm missing an institution. And as a student at Buffalo now ten years ago (yikes, it's been that long ... !), it wasn't easy for UB and you can't expect to draw 22,000+ right away. But good for Buffalo for getting to where they are -- I'm excited, and I hope we reach the FBS level someday!

Buffalo is, afterall, playing in a January bowl game! :)

I agree -- right now it's only Buffalo and Syracuse as the state's FBS schools, unless I'm missing an institution. And as a student at Buffalo now ten years ago (yikes, it's been that long ... !), it wasn't easy for UB and you can't expect to draw 22,000+ right away. But good for Buffalo for getting to where they are -- I'm excited, and I hope we reach the FBS level someday!

The United States Military Academy at West Point.....Known as "Army"....... should be included

The United States Military Academy at West Point.....Known as "Army"....... should be included

True. NYS has 3 FBS colleges. My brother is an Army grad. I've been to Michie stadium a million times.

Still, I'm always amazed by the huge opportunity Albany has for FBS. 3 FBS colleges in a state of nearly 20M residents? NYS must have 250 colleges and only 3 are FBS. Add to that the economic principle of "barrier to entry". FBS is expensive so only rich schools or big state schools can afford it. The Ivy league isn't changing so that rules out 2 NYS schools right there. Looking at the New York state map who can afford to make the jump? I only see Albany and Stony Brook with the size (and in good times) the state backing to make the jump. Albany is a 18,000 student comprehensive state university. Its only getting bigger with time.

My hope is within 5 years we're at full FCS and have a stadium. Within 10 years we're in a MAC or to be created Sun Belt type new Northeast conference. I think we can be there with planning, leadership and a desire to make it happen. Only 3 NYS colleges in FBS? Making the jump meanes immediate exclusivity and a "big time" feel.

Whoops, I should have remembered Army, especially since I was at West Point for the UNH game this year. :)

Just because NY doesn't have a rich history of big time college football doesn't mean that it couldn't be built. The problem that I see is that Army will never be good again and Syracuse and Buffalo are too far from New York City to really draw from there. That leaves Albany and Stony Brook as the only logical choices for big time football. I graduated from Albany and live here on LI and I truly believe that upstate is where the real potential lies if only one program is going to be built up. The capital district and the surrounding areas does not have nearly as much to offer in sporting entertainment compared to the LI/NYC area and unless SB can get big time schools to come to them (almost impossible) I just don't see them ever drawing well. UA on the other hand can build up the rivalries with UMASS, UNH, UB, even Syracuse if they market a move up to FBS. I think the only thing that is missing is a commitment from the big Northeast public institutions to make a concerted effort to all move up at once. That's a big "if" but not an insurmountable one since UMASS already has aspirations of FBS and UNH and Maine are already good FCS programs that would probably love the exposure of ESPN televised games and the potential payout of a bowl appearance ($750,000 for Buffalo this year). We need to let the UA leadership know that this is where we need to be and then we need to show them (through private donations and fund raising) that WE will help to make it a reality. This will never take place if we rely entirely on state funds but a combination of private/public funds could make it happen.

Archived