UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of the State of New York

uofalbany

THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of the State of New York

We really have a unique situation here with SUNY.

Regardless of which school has what and how many students each has,

SUNY has 4 extremely valuable institutions called University Centers that should make up

THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of the State of New York.

THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES, should all be given equal attention, should all be labeled and touted powerhouse higher educational institutes. They should all be considered flagships or they should avoid labeling anything flagship.

Invest astonishing amounts of time, funding, and effort into making all four of THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of New York household names of education, research, and athletics around the country. By doing this, you greatly boost the image every one of the 64 colleges in SUNY.

SUNY has already set up four university centers to be the pillars and cornerstones of the state university system.

New York State University System

University of Albany

University of Buffalo

University of Binhamton

University of Stony Brook

With the proper attention to ALL of THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES, suny as a whole could become great. The new chancellor has the opportunity to make SUNY great. Let's hope she doesn't favor neglecting any of the cornerstones already in place.

Every university center going it alone is dwarfed by all four university centers and suny working together.

The State of Florida University System hasn't done so bad creating cornerstones to support their system:

University of Florida

Florida State University

University of South Florida

University of Central Florida

University of North Florida

Florida International University

Florida Atlantic University

FLorida A&M

First thing is to drop the label SUNY everywhere. Replace it with...

New York State University System

Everytime the New York State University System is wirtten or spoken, THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of the State of New York should be attached as well.... listing University of Albany, University of Buffalo, University of Binhamton, and University of Stony Brook

They should also drop all uses of

'university at...'

'university center'

'SUNY at'

I'd quibble with your characterization of UNF being in the "flagship" category of the others cited.

Wikipedia offers some interesting statistics on enrollment, endowment, and differential tuition. Here's the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Univers...stem_of_Florida

Good catch 74. I didn't mean to put in North Florida, it was supposed to be Central Florida. I will edit as necessary.

Florida Atlantic has a better endowment than both central and north, but none of them should be mentioned in the flagship or cornerstone talk anyway. Maybe I was trying to squeek out the 4th.

Many of those Florida Universities listed on my previous post are well known institutions. Even if they are not considered cornerstones, they are well respected options in a healthy state university system.

They are recognized on the national athletics stage.

Most have played bowl games and/or top nationally ranked opponents.

They are doing things correctly.

lol why is there another thread about this.... :wacko:I know it is an important issue, I'm not saying it isn't

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4969

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4925

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4898

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4203

just a pet peeve on forums when one topic has so many threads already dedicated to the same exact thing. stick with one thread and run w/ it...(then you you won't end up repeating the same thing that has already been posted again and again, in those previous threads) ..sorry for the rant....

They all may have the common theme of FLAGSHIP, but they aren't necessarily threads of the same exact thing.

I guess I could have spent the time using the 'search' tool to find threads that were started two years ago as you did.

The last posts in each of those threads were August 2008, May 2008, Jan 2008, and May 2007, respectively.

Wouldn't think those threads were quite update to date though.

I was trying to target a few specific ideas. Of course, I added 'filler' opinion.

1.Ditching the label SUNY for: New York State University System

2.Creating the phrase: THE FLAGSHIP UNIVERSITIES of the New York State University System for emphasis, and using it in all official SUNY business.

- - - - - - -

Although the number of 'official' State of Florida University system flagships is subject to debate, the fact that there are 6 state universities in the FBS is something to highlight.

Florida - SEC

USF - Big East

Florida State - ACC

UCF - Conference USA

FIU - Sun Belt

FAU - Sun Belt

I like how Florida has supported and invested in its athletics.

If New York wanted, it could do the same with our 4 universities.

Ummmm...yah...do you know what the difference is between Flordia and NY?

NEW YORK CITY.

The budget gets killed giving huge $$$ to NYC, as well as CUNY. Florida doesnt have that. They also have ridiculously high real estate taxes...and HUGE tourism taxes and dollars.

Big difference on how funds can be re-allocated in that State.

NEW YORK CITY.

The budget gets killed giving huge $$$ to NYC, as well as CUNY. Florida doesnt have that. They also have ridiculously high real estate taxes...and HUGE tourism taxes and dollars.

UAlbany's biggest threat, as well as the other SUNY Center's biggest threat (and SUNY overall), right now is not, arguably, each other (yes, yes, I know about Buffalo 2020, etc.), but CUNY. Look at the budget. Allocated money for education in the budget shifted more towards CUNY last year, and it is now around 60/40, SUNY/CUNY. 60/40?!!!!

Make NYC pay for CUNY. Not the rest of NY. CUNY is a fiscal black hole and will continue to damage and hinder SUNY. And I bet the downstate democrats don't care!

NEW YORK CITY.

UAlbany's biggest threat, as well as the other SUNY Center's biggest threat (and SUNY overall), right now is not, arguably, each other (yes, yes, I know about Buffalo 2020, etc.), but CUNY. Look at the budget. Allocated money for education in the budget shifted more towards CUNY last year, and it is now around 60/40, SUNY/CUNY. 60/40?!!!!

Make NYC pay for CUNY. Not the rest of NY. CUNY is a fiscal black hole and will continue to damage and hinder SUNY. And I bet the downstate democrats don't care!

As a Florida resident for 6 years, I am familiar with how the state functions, including the state university system, and the influx of dollars during snowbird season, spring breaks, bike weeks, and raceweeks. On the local level, yes, city and county property taxes tend to be high on the beachside and near the shoreline. This might lower the burden on the State to a degree. There are also MANY areas within New York State where property taxes are outrageous as well. Tourism exists all throughout New York and Florida.

I absolutely agree CUNY and NYC take away from SUNY's nurturing. New York City has always manipulated things to their advantage, at the cost to the rest of the state.

I'd restate it by saying there's a ..... Big Difference On How Funds ARE allocated between NY and Florida.

New York State can continue doing what it has been doing for the past half century, or we can have a CHAMPION at SUNY in the form of the new chancellor. If the fight doesn't start there, nothing changes. SUNY needs to fight the same ol same ol business as usual in New York government and higher education, fighting the New York City stranglehold on the state and politicians.

The change I'd like to eventually see was stated previously. This includes supporting all 4 University Centers as flagships, and pouring in huge amounts of money, effort, and time into all of them. I would hope to see the proportion of higher education dollars going to the University Centers DRASTICALLY increase.

Archived