UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Stadium Budget

danefan

Why will our stadium cost so much? This says the cost of the our stadium will be $46.5 to start with a total project cost of $65 million.

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/

Take a look at what UNC Charlotte's stadium project -- just sent out to bid.

For $45 million budget they are requesting bids to build:

The proposed Football Stadium will consist of a 15,000 seat stadium expandable to 40,000 seats, an approximately 58,000 square foot building consisting of athletic offices, meeting spaces, weight and training rooms, locker rooms, offices, restrooms, concessions, ticket office, press box, skyboxes, and storage to house an intercollegiate football team. A separate team building with visitor locker room, toilets, and storage is also included.

The Sports Complex will consist of the stadium field and two practice fields. Also included is a separate approximately 1,200 square foot storage building. There will be new practice fields and the relocation for existing field numbers 8 and 9, as well as access roads, walkways, service area, and parking for visitor buses, press tractor trailer, and officials.

http://facilities.uncc.edu/FileManager/fil...%202-16-09).doc

Is McElroy seriously telling us and the NYS Legislature that we can't build a 12,000 seat stadium for $25 million or less?

Look at all the additional work UNC Charlotte expects to complete for an amount less than what we are saying our smaller stadium will cost alone. I'm confused.

And I'm sorry.....I know the title to this thread is unnecessarily optimistic.

I know there was some talk of doing stuff to SEFCU....could that be increasing the total price tag?

I believe the RACC renovation was originally discussed in the additional money that will be needed (additional $15 million).

But look - UNC Charlotte is talking about building an additional 60,000 sq. ft. stand alone building - that alone has to cost more than any RACC renovations short of blowing the roof out and adding seats.

New York economics. Plain and simple.

Union labor at 2 to 3 times the going rate

3 to 4 environmental impact studies at inflated prices

Kick backs to the political establishment

Same reason everything costs more in New York.

<br />New York economics. Plain and simple.<br /><br />Union labor at 2 to 3 times the going rate<br />3 to 4 environmental impact studies at inflated prices<br />Kick backs to the political establishment<br /><br />Same reason everything costs more in New York.<br />

If this project were being proposed 2 hours south I would agree with you, but Albany is economically very similar to Charlotte. Real estate and cost of living at least.

Union influence - I'll give you that one, but I still can't believe we need 45 million to build a modest 12000 seat stadium.

I'm just frustrated with this entire process or lack therof. I get angry when I see things like this because I'm willing to bet $100 that UNCC will have their stadium built before us and they just started planning it.

Setting aside the foregoing posts for just a moment (I didn't even read them yet), did anyone else notice this:

"... proposed Football Stadium will consist of a 15,000 seat stadium expandable to 40,000 seats"

YES!!! NICE!! I want this to happen now more than ever!

<br />New York economics. Plain and simple.<br /><br />Union labor at 2 to 3 times the going rate<br />3 to 4 environmental impact studies at inflated prices<br />Kick backs to the political establishment<br /><br />Same reason everything costs more in New York.<br />

If this project were being proposed 2 hours south I would agree with you, but Albany is economically very similar to Charlotte. Real estate and cost of living at least. <br /><br />Union influence - I'll give you that one, but I still can't believe we need 45 million to build a modest 12000 seat stadium.

I'm just frustrated with this entire process or lack therof. I get angry when I see things like this because I'm will to bet $100 that UNCC will have their stadium built before us and they just started planning it.

Sorry for the formatting, I'm on my blackberry.

Hah, ha. I post from the Blackberry all the time. I have the Pearl so it's an extra challenge to get the post right.

I hate to say it but it's not looking good. Anyway to your post, UNCC will get a stadium before Albany. I would bet Kennesaw State will have a stadium before Albany and they don't even have a football program. DII Albany State Georgia will have a stadium first.

UAlbany would be D1 FBS with a phat stadium if it were located in any one of 45 states. That is a fact. It takes more time, more money and more influence to do anything in New York. Hell, UC Berkley has a FBS program and a huge stadium and they are in the most liberal state in the union. Aren't we on our 3rd or 4th environmental impact study?

The issues are so many. SUNY is too big. SUNY is too beaurocratic. SUNY Buffalo keeps screwing UA. It takes a million dollars to build a shack in that state. Most NY politicans went to private schools and therefore don't care about SUNY. UAlbany has been without leadership for too long. The alumni are apathetic. The list goes on and on.

Had my father retired from the military in one of the 45 other states that have a clue, I could be engaged in the daily banter with my work colleagues. UConn, UNC, Michigan State, Florida, Cal, GT... the discussions go on and on and it would be nice to join in. I've worked or consulted in 15 companies and college sports always come up. I'd love to join in but it seems unlikely.

Setting aside the foregoing posts for just a moment (I didn't even read them yet), did anyone else notice this:

"... proposed Football Stadium will consist of a 15,000 seat stadium expandable to 40,000 seats"

YES!!! NICE!! I want this to happen now more than ever!

You'll be lucky to see something (even a pic of the model on the UA site) before you and I are both DEAD! We are both relatively young and in good health (at least I am, don't know about you).... that's how long it's going to be :blush:

I'm being fictitious of course....kind of

Anyone else interested in attending this?

SUNY Albany Capital Project Plan

Scoping Meeting – Legal Announcement

Hard copy repositories

Uptown Campus, Office of Facilities Management

Service Building A

Reception Area, Room 212

1400 Washington Avenue

Downtown Campus

Hawley Hall

Dewey Graduate Library

Circulation Desk

135 Western Avenue

Electronic repository: http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/

Location of Scoping Meeting: SEFCU Arena, Hall of Fame Room

*Free parking available to the south of the SEFCU Arena.

*Handicap parking available to the west of the SEFCU Arena.

When? March 10, 2009 7 pm

Upon arrival, please register if you would like to speak.

The State University of New York at Albany (UAlbany) proposes to execute a listing of capital projects

over a multi-year period, starting in 2010. The listed projects are defined as UAlbany’s Capital Project

Plan. UAlbany, as lead agency, intends to prepare a Draft Generic Environmental Impact Statement

(DGEIS) to address potentially adverse environmental impacts associated with the Capital Project Plan.

This notice is issued pursuant to New York State Environmental Conservation Law Article 8, State

Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA); and Part 617 of Chapter 6 of the New York Code of Rules

and Regulations. UAlbany will conduct a scoping meeting to receive public input on issues to be

addressed in the DGEIS on March 10, 2009 at 7 pm. The meeting will be held at the SEFCU Arena,

located on UAlbany’s Uptown Campus, 1400 Washington Avenue. Free parking is available to the south

of the SEFCU Arena. Handicapped parking is available to the west of the SEFCU Arena. Hard copies of

the draft scoping document are available at Service Building ‘A’, Office of Facilities Management

Reception Area, Room 212 located on UAlbany’s Uptown Campus and at Hawley Hall, Dewey Graduate

Library Circulation Desk, located at 135 Western Avenue on UAlbany’s Downtown Campus. An

electronic copy of the draft scoping document is also available at http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/.

Written comments on the Scoping Document will be received until 5 p.m. on March 31, 2009, and should

be addressed to: Errol Millington, Director, Office of Campus Planning, Service Building A, University at

Albany, Albany, NY 12222.

I plan on going, but this would seem to be an important event for many of us to attend (having some other attorneys there besides myself might be nice too).

You never know what kind of loud and annoying opposition might show up at this thing.

Anyone else interested in attending this?

SUNY Albany Capital Project Plan

Scoping Meeting – Legal Announcement

Hard copy repositories

Uptown Campus, Office of Facilities Management

Service Building A

Reception Area, Room 212

1400 Washington Avenue

Downtown Campus

Hawley Hall

Dewey Graduate Library

Circulation Desk

135 Western Avenue

Electronic repository: http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/

The State University of New York at Albany (UAlbany) proposes to execute a listing of capital projects

over a multi-year period, starting in 2010. The listed projects are defined as UAlbany's Capital Project

Plan. UAlbany, as lead agency, intends to prepare a Draft Generic Environmental Impact Statement

(DGEIS) to address potentially adverse environmental impacts associated with the Capital Project Plan.

This notice is issued pursuant to New York State Environmental Conservation Law Article 8, State

Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA); and Part 617 of Chapter 6 of the New York Code of Rules

and Regulations. UAlbany will conduct a scoping meeting to receive public input on issues to be

addressed in the DGEIS on March 10, 2009 at 7 pm. The meeting will be held at the SEFCU Arena,

located on UAlbany's Uptown Campus, 1400 Washington Avenue. Free parking is available to the south

of the SEFCU Arena. Handicapped parking is available to the west of the SEFCU Arena. Hard copies of

the draft scoping document are available at Service Building 'A', Office of Facilities Management

Reception Area, Room 212 located on UAlbany's Uptown Campus and at Hawley Hall, Dewey Graduate

Library Circulation Desk, located at 135 Western Avenue on UAlbany's Downtown Campus. An

electronic copy of the draft scoping document is also available at http://www.albany.edu/facilities/dgeis/.

Written comments on the Scoping Document will be received until 5 p.m. on March 31, 2009, and should

be addressed to: Errol Millington, Director, Office of Campus Planning, Service Building A, University at

Albany, Albany, NY 12222.

PLEASE GO! The only people who usually attend those things are naysayers. It would be great to get a core group to support the stadium project.

I would love to go, but a tuesday night at 7pm in Albany isn't going to work for me.

Zalman B!!! Get your butt over there! :D

From the Draft Scoping Document:

Draft Scoping Document

DGEIS UAlbany Capital Project Plan

February 12, 2009

5. Multi-Use Athletic Facility

University Field at UAlbany was constructed in 1969 and is the home of UAlbany football, with bleacher seating for 5,000 and hillside lawn seating for 5,000 at capacity (http://www.albany.edu/sports/facilities-out.htm). The playing surface is grass, and is surrounded by an all weather 400 meter track. Associated with University Field are adjacent athletic facilities including 12 lighted tennis courts, and fields for football, soccer, softball, baseball, lacrosse, field hockey and other intramural and recreational uses. The UAlbany Great Danes play football in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) as an associate member in the Northeast Conference (NEC).

The National Football League’s New York Giants use University Field and its associated facilities as its official practice location during the league’s preseason. The players and staff are housed in on-campus living centers during the summer months. This arrangement provides a recreational interest for the community, and enhances the overall reputation of UAlbany.

In 2004, UAlbany commissioned a “UAlbany Athletics and Recreation Master Plan to evaluate and consider the changing goals, status and needs of the University’s athletic programs. The report noted that “…the existing and future needs of the University cannot be adequately met in the University’s existing Physical Education (PE) building, Recreation and Convocation Center (RACC), stadium, and several natural turf fields as they are now configured” (Sasaki 2004). Further, it was concluded that in the future, “The present shortfall in adequate space can only worsen as the University attempts to meet its projected enrollment growth and program improvements at the Division I level over the next 10 years” (Sasaki 2004). This is seen as especially true with respect to University Field, which may not be considered adequate under criteria for Division I football; this could hamper the University’s status in Division I, as well as negatively influence the competitive recruiting process for student-athletes as well as the general student body.

The 2004 Athletics Master Plan encompassed the anticipated full slate of potential needs of the campus, and proposed a phased approach to implementation of its recommendations, consistent with planning logistics, capital funding, construction schedules, and reasonable timetables to further the planning and design of the elements of the plan. A new multi-use athletic facility was part of this plan with elements that would tentatively include:

• initial seating capacity for approximately 10,000 spectators

• potential expansion of seating capacity to approximately 24,000

• uses to include football, soccer, and perhaps lacrosse events

• potential for other uses ranging from local and regional sporting events to convocations and concerts

• improvements to include a student-athlete academic support center, press and coach platform, private suites, a reception and conference room, and improvements in restroom and concession facilities from those at present.

A site screening effort identified a location for the new multi-use athletic facility; the process included work sessions on campus. The location selected is immediately east of the SEFCU Arena and Physical Education Buildings, with a relocation of one practice field.

The estimated construction cost is approximately $46.5 million. The estimated total project cost is

$65 million. Capital funding has not been secured for this project, but it is a high capital project

priority for the University. Estimated construction start could be as early as spring 2011.

over a multi-year period, starting in 2010. The listed projects are defined as UAlbany's Capital Project

located on UAlbany's Uptown Campus, 1400 Washington Avenue. Free parking is available to the south

the draft scoping document are available at Service Building 'A', Office of Facilities Management

Reception Area, Room 212 located on UAlbany's Uptown Campus and at Hawley Hall, Dewey Graduate

Library Circulation Desk, located at 135 Western Avenue on UAlbany's Downtown Campus. An

Albany, Albany, NY 12222.[/i]

The meeting is tomorrow @ 7pm, shortly after the 4pm men's lacrosse home game.

Someone should mention it loudly in the stands. :P Lacrosse fans should also welcome a new MULTI-PURPOSE stadium.

Wouldn't it be great to host Syracuse in an NCAA playoff game in front of ~10,000 fans? I could see it happening.

Another note: According to the TU today there were about 14,500 attendees to the AEast Tourney this weekend which had revenue in the neighborhood of $160,000+. That doesn't include the local bump in restaurants, etc...

It is realistic that a new stadium could bring this type of revenue 6 times a year.

Archived