UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Trimboli out of AE Tournament

Today's Burlington Free Press quotes Lonergan

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article...0002/1002/RSS03

I hope the guy is okay and doesn't have anything permanent or too serious. You know he'd want to play more than anything if he could, given that it's his senior season. Rival or not, we wish him the best. Hopefully he just has mono or something like that.

I echo Coach Brown's comments mentioned here: http://blogs.timesunion.com/collegesports/?p=2773

He's right, UVM is as deep as anyone, and Vier and Maurice Joseph are more than capable of running the show. Coach Brown makes a good point about Hartford losing Joe Z. earlier this year, and they didn't miss a beat in their win over us in January at Hartford. Those players waiting on the bench are eager to fill in and perform to their abilities.

But before this thread runs wild, look closely at the article. It never states that Trimboli "IS" out for the Tournament or that he "WILL" be out for the Tournament; merely that he "may" or "could" be out for the Tournament. We shall see.

the title of the thread is very misleading. theres no chance he's not playing. if he can walk i can almost guarantee this kid will play

I found the posts on the UVM Board very interesting. On one hand, consider this post on the UVM Board:

". . . i heard from a reliable source that mike has mono and will miss the ENTIRE tournament.. i hope this is totally false because we kinda/definately need mike for the tournament if we see the NCAA tournament in our future."

However, several posters also point to the fact that Trimboli had mono when he was a freshman, and, therefore, that he shouldn't have it now. The reason for this is once the body apparently recovers from mono, the body has antibodies to fight it, though the virus remains in the body, apparently for life. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/infecti...-topic-overview

Based on the above link to the information website regarding "mono," it would seem to that (1) if it is true that Mike had it as a freshman, then (2) it would be highly unlikely that that is what is keeping him out of practice this week. I am not sure how much faith I have in the above-quoted post by a poster on the UVM board (i.e., "definAtely").

Moreover, the Burlington article seems to suggest that the program and coaches wouldn't know anything for sure until at least Wednesday, so perhaps they are waiting for medical tests. Sounds to me like a bad case of the flu and not mono. See http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...l_high_in_mass/

I bet he plays. In any event, can someone battle their way through mono for two hours and still play (though it would surely be against doctor's orders)?

based on what I have read, he would be putting his life at serious risk if he tried to play with mono. Your spleen is already at risk to be ruptured when you have mono.....throw in the contact/intensity of a D1 basketball game with NCAA tournament implications on the line, and he would have to be CRAZY to play with mono, if that is indeed what he has...

If he has mono the school won't let him play if there's any sign the kid was an enlarged spleen. remember, players don't have the final say. Its a huge liability for the school.

Yikes, mono is nothing to take lightly. I still think it's just the flu, based on the fact that the UVM posters claim that he had mono once before (though I suppose it's possible to get it twice).

If he has mono the school won't let him play if there's any sign the kid was an enlarged spleen. remember, players don't have the final say. Its a huge liability for the school.

Yikes, mono is nothing to take lightly. I still think it's just the flu, based on the fact that the UVM posters claim that he had mono once before (though I suppose it's possible to get it twice).

I had mono in high school.

Once you get mono, you have it for life. It can flare up at any point if your immune system gets run down, etc..

I had mine flare up my soph year in college. I related it to too many nights in a row of "studying" at the Branch ;) and sleeping 2 hours a day. We only had two weeks in the spring semester before training started. Tried to take advantage of life as a "regular" student. Didn't quite work out.

Id.

Vermont: Trimboli “questionable” for UAlbany game

March 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

The University of Vermont issued the following statement Wednesday on all-league senior guard Mike Trimboli, who might not play against UAlbany on Saturday in the America East Tournament quarterfinals:

“Mike Trimboli was held out of last weekend’s game to speed the recovery of a viral illness,” Vermont head athletic trainer Allison Shepherd said. “He continues to improve daily, but his status for this weekend’s quarterfinal match-up vs. Albany is questionable.”

Id.

Vermont: Trimboli “questionable” for UAlbany game

March 4, 2009 at 5:26 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

The University of Vermont issued the following statement Wednesday on all-league senior guard Mike Trimboli, who might not play against UAlbany on Saturday in the America East Tournament quarterfinals:

“Mike Trimboli was held out of last weekend’s game to speed the recovery of a viral illness,” Vermont head athletic trainer Allison Shepherd said. “He continues to improve daily, but his status for this weekend’s quarterfinal match-up vs. Albany is questionable.”

Hmmmm, viral not bacterial...last tourney of his collegiate career...21-year-old body...game's on Saturday...condition improving since at least Wednesday...he's playing. He may not start or play many minutes, but he's playing.

S$

Archived