UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Wolff out at BU

It's being reported on the AE board that Dennis Wolff has been fired at BU.

BU Hoops Blog

:: Bringing you the highs and Lowe's of BU basketball for 4 years ::

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Holy $iena: Dennis Wolff fired as BU's coach, sources say

If Fox Sports' Jeff Goodman is correct, BU has fired it's all-time winningest coach after his best season in four years:

Dennis Wolfff was fired as Boston University's head coach after his 15th season at the school, according to sources.

Wolff compiled a 247-197 record at Boston U., including a 17-13 mark this season. The Terriers lost in the quarterfinals of the America East tournament to UMBC.

Wolff has the most wins in school history. His best season at Boston was his third, when he led the Terriers to a 25-5 record and a 1997 NCAA tournament appearance. Boston also made the NCAA tourney in 2002 and the NIT for three straight seasons from 2003-2005.

The Terriers had three straight losing seasons before this one.

I am pretty speechless. I know he has many detractors amongst the fanbase, but I always assumed his job was pretty secure. His contract extension runs through the 2013-14 season, which is quite the pricey buyout.

My first impression is that I think he should have had at least one more shot with his current crop of juniors. Some players left, the team gets into ruts once in a while -- but it can't be denied that the man wins ballgames. He has a reputation as a defensive mastermind. Certainly some frequent commenters here should be pleased, and I'd be interested in their reaction.

Still shocked.

Confirmed on ESPN.com here.

Boston University fired coach Dennis Wolff after 15 seasons on Wednesday, Wolff told ESPN.com.

Wolff said he was in New York recruiting and was called back to Boston to meet with administrators. Wolff said he was asked to resign. He refused and was let go.

The Terriers finished 17-13, 11-5 in the America East, good for third, two games behind first-place Vermont and Binghamton. BU reached the NCAA tournament in 1997 and 2002 and the NIT three times in Wolff's tenure, the last time in 2004-05.

"We greatly appreciate the contributions that Dennis has made during his 15 years at BU," athletic director Mike Lynch said.

"This decision was not made quickly or easily. However, after a thorough analysis, I believe that a change in leadership is in the best interests of our men's basketball program."

Wolff, who was 247-197 at BU, had four years remaining on his contract and is negotiating a buyout.

BU lost to UMBC in the quarterfinals in overtime of the America East tournament last Saturday.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com

A true loss for the league. A quality coach who had a number of injuries early this year but because of a very strong freshman class was still able to finish 3rd in the league. His replacement is going to inherit a very, very good team and will look like a miracle worker even if he can't coach. But what can you expect from the administration of a hockey school.

A true loss for the league. A quality coach who had a number of injuries early this year but because of a very strong freshman class was still able to finish 3rd in the league. His replacement is going to inherit a very, very good team and will look like a miracle worker even if he can't coach. But what can you expect from the administration of a hockey school.

I agree; a loss for our league, and he is a quality coach. I had no problem seeing Boston University do well. At one point a few years ago, Boston University was the team to beat so to speak, but with UVM and UAlbany's rise over the past several years (and UMBC last year), BU didn't find itself as the powerhouse that it was at one time simply due to a stronger conference and more parity, which is great for our conference. Indeed, recall that it wasn't until 2007, I believe, that we beat Boston University on their court for the first time. We beat them again on their court last year. The America East is a rising conference in multiple sports (at least LAX and basketball). In a year where we found ourselves as a conference around the #16 RPI, and in a year where BU suffered injuries, Wolff gets fired for a third-place finish? Perhaps the administration should have read Hot Dogg and Jesus's blog around the start of the conference season; it spoke of a dismal outlook, to say the least!

I hope the decision was not based primarily on this year; if so, that's a decision that I would take issue with. As oldtimer stated, BU suffered key injuries (not sure we would have beaten them at home had they been at full strength) and is a very young team. With the exception of Matt Wolff, every key player returns as I understand it (or was supposed to return). Boston University was my pick for next year along with Binghamton (their center, Fuller, graduates) to win the league.

Too soon to know, I'm sure, but I wonder where Wolff will end up? Do coaches ever cross over from men's to women's basketball or vice versa?

Too soon to know, I'm sure, but I wonder where Wolff will end up? Do coaches ever cross over from men's to women's basketball or vice versa?

Rarely but if we had a replacing Trina thread - I would add Wolff's name to the list

Unbelievable decision at BU - it will be interesting to see who they bring in and if anybody leaves

If none of the players leave - I do think that will be an indication of why he is gone

I don't agree with it but such is the life of a DI men's basketball coach.

Archived