UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

St. John's in 2002. Of course you can debate how close any of them besides Hofstra was to being a 'real' Division I program - all but HU were in the MAAC. $iena made their club team a varsity squad in 1988 and lasted 16 years (10 or 11 as 'D-I') to get their 33 wins.

In the last couple of years SUNY-Morrisville and SUNY-Maritime have started (or restarted) D-III football.

New York D1 football has really taken a hit over the past few years. I know we started with more programs than most states but we're shrinking fast. Iona, Siena, Canisus, Hofstra. Who else was axed lately?

Posters on other boards have been trying to twist NY losing D-1 teams recently as sort of effect of demographic shift. Our population has been stable. This is just a re-correction when the NCAA forced the Siena's and Canisius' to get with it and put all sports in D-1. They just couldn't get by playing D-1 while spending for D-3 talent (Hofstra being the exception). See Siena football losing to RPI 59-0 in '95, and to Hartwick in 2000 and 2001. Twenty years ago there were only 5 D-1 programs. Today, 11.

1988- FBS (Syracuse, Army) FCS (Cornell, Colgate, Columbia)

1989- Add Fordham [FCS]

1993- Add Hofstra, Iona, Wagner, Marist, Canisius, Siena, St John's, Buffalo [All FCS]

1999- Add Albany, Stony Brook [FCS] Buffalo [FBS Upgrade]

2000's- Subtract Canisius, St John's [2002] Siena [2003] Iona [2008] Hofstra [2009]

New York D1 football has really taken a hit over the past few years. I know we started with more programs than most states but we're shrinking fast. Iona, Siena, Canisus, Hofstra. Who else was axed lately?

Posters on other boards have been trying to twist NY losing D-1 teams recently as sort of effect of demographic shift. Our population has been stable. This is just a re-correction when the NCAA forced the Siena's and Canisius' to get with it and put all sports in D-1. They just couldn't get by playing D-1 while spending for D-3 talent (Hofstra being the exception). See Siena football losing to RPI 59-0 in '95, and to Hartwick in 2000 and 2001. Twenty years ago there were only 5 D-1 programs. Today, 11.

1989- Add Fordham [FCS]

1993- Add Hofstra, Iona, Wagner, Marist, Canisius, Siena, St John's, Buffalo [All FCS]

2000's- Subtract Canisius, St John's [2002] Siena [2003] Iona [2008] Hofstra [2009]

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was just about to say that it is interesting that the Dayton Rule took so long to really rear its head. No doubt that all of these small private schools would still be playing DIII football had it not been for the almighty Division I basketball $$$$$$$.

1989- Add Fordham [FCS]

LOL...59-0....man, what a one trick pony.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was just about to say that it is interesting that the Dayton Rule took so long to really rear its head. No doubt that all of these small private schools would still be playing DIII football had it not been for the almighty Division I basketball $$$$$$$.

How do you figure? As a D-III, $iena was 11-34 (five years). Their budget was around $200K. Their OOC was as many D-III or other non-scholy as they could. As long as the MAAC played each other, how would they have saved more money in D-III?

If these little schools (OK, St. John's isn't small) had stayed D-III, their results might have been marginally better, but their expenses would have been the same.

Football was too expensive for these schools at any level, and/or their administrations didn't care.

How do you figure? As a D-III, $iena was 11-34 (five years). Their budget was around $200K. Their OOC was as many D-III or other non-scholy as they could. As long as the MAAC played each other, how would they have saved more money in D-III?

If these little schools (OK, St. John's isn't small) had stayed D-III, their results might have been marginally better, but their expenses would have been the same.

Football was too expensive for these schools at any level, and/or their administrations didn't care.

I think these schools freaked out when they saw the upgrades that were occuring in the lower end of FCS ranks.

Teams weren't content being Division III teams playing in Division I and they started investing more. It started with the NEC's grant-in-aid policy. I would be willing to bet that if you had told Siena or St. Peters or Fairfield that there budgets could stay the same indefinitely they would have kept football.

I agree that their admins didn't care, but I think they would have kept it if they didn't see something on the horizon that frightened them.

In Regards to URI...

http://www.projo.com/sports/mikeszostak/uri_football_sidebar_11-22-09_38GHQV9_v2.2e5fb51.html

Apparently they are getting a new weight room in 2011 and that will springboard them to instant success. Rhode Island has been one of the states hit hardest by the Recession so URI will have to make a decision on the program at some point and with the trend I think its the next one to go.

Archived