UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. CCSU

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned at halftime that CCSU missed a lot of shots that Iona would have buried. In the second half they hit them, plus the nose-to-nose man defense in the 2nd, wore down our backcourt. Somebody wondered if Black went down to get a play stoppage, but since he didn't come back in I guess not. At least he stayed on the bench and didn't get iced.

Nice touch introducing the team as 'Your 2010 Albany Cup Champions'.

My thoughts:

Wow, that was a little TOO exciting for a game in which we led by double digits for most of it.

All hail Tim Ambrose. The kid has skills and was amazing in the first half. A couple of mental mistakes and he’s on the bench, bashing himself in the head with a towel. (I’m not kidding – that really happened.) I feel bad for the guy because he doesn’t seem to respond well to Coach Brown screaming at him in the face (big surprise). Regardless, a couple of borderline offensive fouls made him tone down his aggressiveness, but he did a great job making the shot to put UA up 62-60. I’m not positive, but I think he may have assisted the bucket that tied the game at 60. (Was that the pass to Puk under the basket?)

Bottom line: Great job, Tim!

Fantastic defense. That 3-2 zone was great. If you took away CCSU’s #24, they would have lost by a lot more. Excellent zone defense; very encouraging.

Offense: The players seem lost when they are being closely guarded by man-to-man. Black is the only PG who doesn’t get it stolen from him, but he was getting extremely frustrated because no one was getting open. I think the late injury was partially a mental break needed on his part, because he didn’t seem to be limping when he got up. Hopefully he’s fine.

Logan: He was off on his shot, which was too bad. Kind of a non-factor. Also, please work on the foul shots. Free points after the technical and he was 1 for 2. ARGH!

Puk: great blocks.

Devlin: So glad that we have a 4 who can shoot from the perimeter. Also, the kid behind me kept calling him “Singler” and I wanted to punch him. (Because Singler is painful to look at.)

Watts: Thank God he made those foul shots at the end!

Well, that’s all I can remember for now

I mentioned at halftime that CCSU missed a lot of shots that Iona would have buried. In the second half they hit them, plus the nose-to-nose man defense in the 2nd, wore down our backcourt. Somebody wondered if Black went down to get a play stoppage, but since he didn't come back in I guess not. At least he stayed on the bench and didn't get iced.

I don't think Black went down to get a play stoppage, but I definitely think his frustration was part of the reason he stayed down and then didn't come back in. After that, he was on the bench next to the coaches, not being looked at by the trainer. He was too emotional and frustrated to go back in, in my opinion.

For all the positives Ambrose had..especially hitting those couple big shots at the end..he had seven turnovers..that's part of why CCSU managed to come back in the second half. The team was much too sloppy with the ball in the last 10 minutes.

Glad we pulled out the win!

Did anyone catch what happened between #22 and the ref? I saw him bitching to the ref while on defense (I think about Ambrose, but I didn't see what happened to make him complain). Next thing I know, there is a jump ball/turnover by UA, and a few seconds later the ref gives him a technical. I know he was running his mouth - he didn't stop even after the technical - but does anyone know what it was about?

According the Elkin, 22 thought he got an intentional elbow to face from Ambrose on his layup, no call, he kept complaining about it until he got T'd up

For all the positives Ambrose had..especially hitting those couple big shots at the end..he had seven turnovers..that's part of why CCSU managed to come back in the second half. The team was much too sloppy with the ball in the last 10 minutes.

no matter what the guy does people still manage to bring out his mistakes. the guy friggin one the game for us. black had 7 TO as well why dont you bring that up.

Did anyone catch what happened between #22 and the ref? I saw him bitching to the ref while on defense (I think about Ambrose, but I didn't see what happened to make him complain). Next thing I know, there is a jump ball/turnover by UA, and a few seconds later the ref gives him a technical. I know he was running his mouth - he didn't stop even after the technical - but does anyone know what it was about?

According the Elkin, 22 thought he got an intentional elbow to face from Ambrose on his layup, no call, he kept complaining about it until he got T'd up

Wow, what an idiot! He doesn't exactly have a good role model, though - his coach threw a temper tantrum after his player clearly fouled Mike Black on the shot attempt. It was kind of hilarious, though.

I wish FoxSports980 archived their shows so I could go back and listen. Thanks for the info, Doc!

My thoughts:

Wow, that was a little TOO exciting for a game in which we led by double digits for most of it.

All hail Tim Ambrose. The kid has skills and was amazing in the first half. A couple of mental mistakes and he’s on the bench, bashing himself in the head with a towel. (I’m not kidding – that really happened.) I feel bad for the guy because he doesn’t seem to respond well to Coach Brown screaming at him in the face (big surprise). Regardless, a couple of borderline offensive fouls made him tone down his aggressiveness, but he did a great job making the shot to put UA up 62-60. I’m not positive, but I think he may have assisted the bucket that tied the game at 60. (Was that the pass to Puk under the basket?)

Fantastic defense. That 3-2 zone was great. If you took away CCSU’s #24, they would have lost by a lot more. Excellent zone defense; very encouraging.

Offense: The players seem lost when they are being closely guarded by man-to-man. Black is the only PG who doesn’t get it stolen from him, but he was getting extremely frustrated because no one was getting open. I think the late injury was partially a mental break needed on his part, because he didn’t seem to be limping when he got up. Hopefully he’s fine.

Logan: He was off on his shot, which was too bad. Kind of a non-factor. Also, please work on the foul shots. Free points after the technical and he was 1 for 2. ARGH!

Devlin: So glad that we have a 4 who can shoot from the perimeter. Also, the kid behind me kept calling him “Singler” and I wanted to punch him. (Because Singler is painful to look at.)

i said before the season that devlin looked eerily similar to singler.

Just to add to some of your comments...

- Watts, ice water in his veins hitting those two FT as a freshmen.

- Puk, drew a huge charge

Yes, I was thrilled with Watts' free throws, especially since he doesn't have a high percentage from the line! And a great job by Puk, icing the win. It was at the other end of the court, so I didn't see it very well from where I was sitting.

My thoughts:

i said before the season that devlin looked eerily similar to singler.

There is some resemblance, but mirrors don't shatter when Devlin looks in them! Also, calling him "Singler" every single time he touched the ball was a bit much.

no matter what the guy does people still manage to bring out his mistakes. the guy friggin one the game for us. black had 7 TO as well why dont you bring that up.

I think you have to put the turnover statistic in perspective. At least two of those were offensive fouls, which is different (IMO) then throwing the ball away. He was trying to score, and at least one of the calls was borderline. I'm not sure how they count turnovers, but Albany hit the ball out of bounds under CCSU's basket, and Ambrose jumped out of bounds and tried to save it, but ended up throwing it to CCSU. Again, I don't know if that counts, but if it does, then his turnovers must be looked at differently.

Mike Black, on the other hand, was responsible for his turnovers because he didn't take care of the basketball (not entirely his fault though because of the poor offensive movement all around). He got a five-second call for one, and a jump ball/turnover for another. He was getting too emotional/frustrated, like I said before.

Let's not get down on Tim. The only way he contributed to CCSU's comeback was getting his fourth foul, which made him have to tone down his intensity.

Haha..take a breather. That's right..Ambrose won the game for us. I was simply pointing out that part of the reason why CCSU was able to make the game so tight was because the team had so many turnovers in the second half..of which Tim had 7 of them. You're correct that Black also had 7 turnovers..but I don't believe the thread was discussing him at that point?

It's clear that there's much from the game to improve on..most importantly 21 TOs. I much prefer a win accompanying improvements rather than a loss.

Archived