UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The interest is just not there for FCS football. The average person doesnt know when the playoffs are. (I know i've said this already in teh past) The last update i had was when there was a post for the quarterfinals. Is there a national champion yet? Unless you have aspirations of going to FBS like Stony Brook then you'll be taken seriously. Albany is looking to aspire to be an FCS school already in the FCS! While SBU is hoping to be FBS one day.

Either way SBU will never jump to FBS in my opinion. College football is dead on long island and will never survive so I think SBU is wasting there time. Just look at Hofstra. Plus SBU is in the freakin middle of no where. Why would any legitimate recruit go play there. If albany was ever serious and talked about hopes of being FBS I'm sure you'll get more money from somewhere.

Yes I dont know much about FCS football, but once again its just my opinion.

How do we even know what UA is aspiring to? Is our Administration really aspiring to anything?

We dont know. Ive been reading all these articles and posts on UA football and I havent read anything about FBS, but I have read about SBU

wanting to go FBS one day.

There are "insiders" here so I'll ask are there talks of ever moving to FBS?

We haven't even gotten a public commitment that the Administration wants to be a full-scholarship FCS team let alone an FBS team.

It just sucks. That's why i compared us to wanting to be a FCS school already in FCS lol and Stony Brook wanting to be FBS.

We need to find a new home (conference)!

Honestly, I need to hold back while responding, as I'd prefer to act civil.

I've been impressed with most of our coaches and the teams they've put together. I have mixed feelings

with the athletic dept administration. I fear that a huge percentage of ADs could have been put at the helm

of the UAlbany AD and come up with the exact same results or better.

Kermit was a HUGE loss. He had vision and was steering this university in the right direction.

As for Philip, who the heck knows.

Great to have leadership sitting in the shadows, silent. Great way to avoid failure is to never try.

It's astonishing that we don't know what our goals and aspirations are for our football program!

Or for our athletic facilities. All of these years, and we still sit and wonder what they think about our future. Are we working towards any goals? Has project 2010 turned into project 2050?

We are one of four university centers (pillars) from the self proclaimed 'best state university system' in the country...

What have we gotten in 10 years? (that the coaching hasn't produced)

Besides the 2500 seats in JFF.

It would seem to me... if you want to offer football at a large university center, you either play full scholarship at the FCS level, or make a full committment to FBS. If not, don't have football.

Is it just possible, in these hard economic times, that the UA administration and Athletic Department just simply have their hands tied and can't do much? I've been hearing a lot in the last couple days about how bad state budgets are, and it doesn't look like the next couple years will be bringing much money into the coffers.

Yes, I would really like to see a new stadium and reward the coach who's brought our program so far. But I also see the obstacles everyone who wants to start expensive initiatives is up against.

Is it just possible, in these hard economic times, that the UA administration and Athletic Department just simply have their hands tied and can't do much? I've been hearing a lot in the last couple days about how bad state budgets are, and it doesn't look like the next couple years will be bringing much money into the coffers.

Yes, I would really like to see a new stadium and reward the coach who's brought our program so far. But I also see the obstacles everyone who wants to start expensive initiatives is up against.

No doubt there are budgetary restrictions. But SBU and UB are facing the same constraints and reductions.

In fact, all schools outside the cash cow of BCS football are dealing with budgetary restrictions, but that has not stopped them from looking forward through other funding avenues.

I don't see why its so hard for our Administration to do the following things:

1. State a goal for the program (no matter how far out that goal is).

2. Determine how much money we need to reach that goal.

3. Start a public fundraising drive, including launching a website detailing the goal and fundraising.

I've said this a million times but this is by no means a knock on the folks that work hard in the athletic fundraising office. I really think they have their hands tied by administration action/inaction. This is an institutional issue that starts at the top.

Obviously quite moot now..but Kermit didn't want to go FBS..said it multiple times.

Yes but he was also against staying in the NEC as well. Pres Hall was all for getting us up to speed with our peers. I cannot imagine he would have allowed us to fall so far behind.

In the 15 years since I've graduated not much has changed with UA athletics infrastructure with the exception of John Fallon field. Compare that to SBU or UB. We've lost ground. Excuses only go so far. The economy sucks but it sucks for everyone. Yet SBU and UB have made things happen.

politics sucks too

sbu and ub have had and still have more clout in the state legislature than us

no doubt about it but we have gotten a raw deal when it comes to funding athletics facilities for a long time compared to the other university centers

politics sucks too

sbu and ub have had and still have more clout in the state legislature than us

no doubt about it but we have gotten a raw deal when it comes to funding athletics facilities for a long time compared to the other university centers

To some extent I agree, but politics isn't all to blame. Athletic funding is by and large an allocation of general funding that is provided. Our Admins have decided on numerous occasions to funnel capital funding elsewhere.

Our $20 million sculpture studio is a prime example.

Having grown up in the Midwest and exposed directly to Big Ten athletics (and football) in two Big Ten cities, I can say that FCS (or FBS) football in the Northeast will never be much of anything (as compared to the level of interest in college football in other regions of the nation) until we take more interest in Saturday football than Sunday football.

While I happen to have more interest in Saturday football than Sunday football, that is just not the mindset in this part of the country. Sadly, I have started to accept this.

Good luck to Syracuse, Rutgers, and potentially UMASS at FBS (and SBU is looking at a fiscal black hole if it wants to move to FBS oneday!)... .

Just my $.02. Where am I going wrong in my (perhaps-too-cynical) views?

To the points made on UAlbany advancement and AAU, Susan Herbst was just voted the 15th president at UConn on Dec 20th. She's talking a big, bold vision now. Did she ever say anything similar when working at UAlbany? Was she seriously primed for advancement within UAlbany's administration before she moved to lead Georgia's higher ed system?

At UConn, a New Focus at a Critical Time

Archived