UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Signs Perry

UALBANY MEN'S BASKETBALL SIGNS JUNIOR COLLEGE STAR BRANDON PERRY

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany men’s basketball coach Will Brown announced on Wednesday, May 19 that Brandon Perry, a junior college player from Texas, has signed a national letter of intent to play for the Great Danes in 2004-05.

Perry, a 6-foot-1, 187-pound guard from Carrollton, Texas, averaged 15.5 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game as a sophomore at Jacksonville Community College. An All-Region XIV Conference selection, Perry shot 41.2 percent from the three-point line and made 81.2 percent of his free throws. The Jaguars finished 15-16 overall, including 11-11 in conference play, as a member of one of the top JUCO leagues in the nation.

Perry averaged 13.9 points and made 78 three-point field goals on a 17-14 squad in his first year at Jacksonville Community College. At the scholastic level, he played at Newman-Smith High School, near Dallas, where he scored at a 22.8 clip as a senior. He was named to the Class 5A All-District first team.

"Brandon is strong and athletic, and we expect him to contribute immediately," said Brown, who recently completed his third season as UAlbany’s head coach. "He can defend the perimeter, plus stretch the opponent’s defense as a three-point shooter. He also has the experience of playing against Division I players of all levels on every night over the last two years."

Perry joins a class of four high school players who signed during the early period last November. David Bauman, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound guard from Sarver, Pa. (Freeport), Joe Dyson, a 6-foot-9, 240-pound center from Wilmington, Del. (Sanford School), Brian Lillis, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound swingman from Urbandale, Iowa (West Des Moines Dowling) and Brent Wilson, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward from Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Prairie) made their commitments last fall.

University at Albany’s Men’s Basketball Signings

Name, Pos., Ht., Wt., Hometown (High School)

David Bauman, G, 6-2, 180, Sarver, Pa. (Freeport)

Joe Dyson, C, 6-9, 240, Wilmington, Del. (Sanford School)

Brian Lillis, G/F, 6-5, 200, Urbandale, Iowa (West Des Moines Dowling)

Brandon Perry+, G, 6-1, 187, Carrollton, Texas (Newman-Smith)

Brent Wilson, F, 6-8, 210, Cedar Rapids, Iowa (Prairie)

+Jacksonville (Texas) Community College transfer

Great get for the Danes. This is a proven talent not a raw freshman. Her was Third Team All Region in a very tough Region.

2004 Region XIV Men's All-Conference

All-Conference

Michael Neal, Lon Morris

Antonio Fitzgerald, Kilgore

Kevis Shipman, Tyler

Ricky Woods, Paris

Cedric Smtih, Tyler

Julius Heard, Lon Morris

Jerminey Bennett, Panola

Aaron Fitzgerald, Jacksonville

Jermart Miller, Navarro

Kentrell Gransberry, San Jacinto

Darnell Hopkins, San Jacinto

Maurice Barksdale, Blinn

Lamar Searight, Paris

Brandon Perry, Jacksonville

Andrew Patterson, Lon Morris

Perry shot a great 41.2 % from 3 this year and avg over 3 3PFGs per game.

High in the AE for anyone making over 2.5 threes was 35.8%.

Cook 82 and Barnes 81 3PFGs paced the AE Perry made over 100 3PFG in 31 games. Just to give you an idea Iati made 68 3PFGs

As a Freshman Perry made 78 3PFG.

This seems to be a remedy for anyone looking to zone the Danes or sag on Der Big Guy.

81% FT shooter is great to have at the end of games, too.

Another good thing is he can defend on the perimeter.

He did all of this playing against real good JC competition in Texas - San Jacinto, Lon Morris, Kilgore, Blinn. Paris and Tyler

The talent level for the Danes continues to get deeper!!!!!!!

Brown answered the question..................

If Brown has another scholarship, especially this late I wonder what he will do with it?

...A Big Guy

...An athletic 3 man

...A transfer who will sit out next year

...Just get the best available player

Brown got a great shooter with decent size who can defend.

Don't be surprised to see Jamar at the point with Perry at the 2 and Lucious at the 3 sometimes.

... not really knowing anything about these players, except what is being stated here (the #s from 3 for perry are pleasing) ... it just creates optimism that the danes finally have legitimate depth off the bench ... they just may demonstrate this season that the program has finally turned the corner ...

reeder

I question it from the perspective of the player. - reeder

I understand your point and I totally agree with it.

Most of these players think they are "Top Dog" and think they will prove it in the Fall.

When practice begins there will be some awesome "Dog Fights" for PT.

Could you believe that we may be in a position to consider redshirting someone instead of scouring the campus for warm bodies.

As I insinuated in a previous post the Danes staff may now face a whole new set of problems - Team attitude and chemistry.

I am sure they rather work on that then not having enough bodies or talent to compete hard.

No more 40 minute players that's for sure.

This team will be fresher at the end of games, has the jump shooting to keep teams honest, and has some big men to pound it inside.

You can't really question the kid's decision to sign - we have a legitimate shot to make serious noise in our league, and ours is not a conference where you necessarily have to play a lot of bangers. We could throw four guards out there at times against certain teams. There will be minutes to go around.

Also, I believe Class 5A is the largest in Texas, and he played in the Dallas area and was a first-team selection out of high school. I wonder if anyone could find the all-Class 5A teams from his senior year. I'd wager there are other high-Division I players on that team.

"Guard Brandon Perry (6-1, 187), from Carrolton Newman-Smith, averaged 13 ppg last season, but did set a Region XIV record with 13 3-pointers in the Jaguars' Dec. 4 game against Panola." - Jacksonville Progress (newspaper) previewing his sophomore year

13 3-pointers in one game at any level is impressive

Happy to see we signed another player but what does this do to the morale of the team?? Interested to see if Lucious Jordan and the signees are excited about it. How can Brown sign another kid after signing 2 guards early and having Lou and Jamar, Iati, and Courtney? He may want to have the problem of having team chemistry, but if the players that he recruitied are unhappy, what can he do? Isn't he in the last year of his contract? Players unhappy and leaving the program will certainly be a concern.