UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

TU Conspiracy

If Albany were a slightly bigger market, or perhaps when the supposed SEMATECH jobs finally start rolling in, some media company would see the vulnerability in the TU and come into this market and steamroll them.

Most people hate the TU, IMO. The Gazette is Schenectady-based and as such isn't poised financially or geographically to steal the TU audience.

But the hole is there, ready to be filled. This town isn't a two-paper town, but someone could easily leapfrog the pathetic TU if they had the financial resources.

If any of the TU reporters or editors read this board, YOUR RAG IS TERRIBLE. No one gives a flying crap about Siena. They have basketball. Whoopie. They've been in Division I for how many years now? And they STILL SUCK relative to the big dogs? They are so pathetic they had to drop football. That is disgusting.

Try throwing in some Olympic sports once in a while. It's not all about basketball.

PS - UAlbany wins conference championships. Just because YOU don't care about the sports they win them in, doesn't mean they're not important or interesting. Get off your duffs and write some worthwhile stories.

PPS - if UAlbany, in its what, fifth year of Division I?, defeats 30-year veteran Siena next season in men's basketball, I expect a two-page spread along with a letter of apology from the sports editor.

Dont count on SEMATECH for any good things in Albany in the long run, just ask Austin Texas. As for the Times Useless, its all about $iena, who is at best medicore. Their coverage of $iena as a major powerhouse does nothing to promote the Capital Region, just hypes it as a small market with all the eggs in one basket.

Unfortunately for UAlbany, they will be second fiddle to little Siena until they move up in conference & take over the Pepsi Arena. I know most want campus to remain home court but think how much Siena has gained from using the Pepsi Arena as would never get the bigger boys to come to their campus court due to financial, exposure, etc. Siena will not make attempt to become bigger program due to affect on academics, etc. The Times Union ran story about Conquest Arena Football team trying to hold on in area as others have not been able to. Having to offer Bon Jovi in order to attract fans does not sit well w/ me as feel gimmicks should not be needed if product is genuine. I hope UAlbany can become a sports force in the area & become the main coverage of area newspapers.

I'm neither surprised nor upset that Siena gets more ink. They've been to the NCAA's and NIT several times and we haven't. When we're successful, which should be soon, we'll get our share. I'm sure the Martin article is bigger than the Perry announcement because Martin is here and accessible, Perry is in Texas. I'm willing to wait for the success and the ink.

I don't think we need to put all the emphisis on hoops as $iena does. Basketball will come around in the near future-the women's team already has as they were not hamstrung by the previous coach like the men's team was.

In just about every other sport we've closed the gap or passed them. A few solid basketball season and public perception will change.

Here's the rpi numbers in other sports ( I admit we've had a terrific spring)

Football (1AA teams only):

Albany 84

Siena 121

Soccer (men's)

Albany 140

Siena 175

Lacrosse (men's)

Albany 18

Siena 52

Baseball

Albany 70

Siena 197

The problem with comparing athletic programs is that $iena doesn't have an Athletic Program, they have Basketball and enough other teams to keep them in a conference.

UA has an extensive Athletic Program and Men's Basketball will turn the corner and be a winning proposition.

A few solid basketball seasons and public perception will change.

it may only take one ... one ua victory and the average capital district fan will recognize the legitimacy of our move to DI in basketball ... until then, siena wil receive all of the local perks ... majority of press, corporate sponsorship, etc.

The problem with comparing athletic programs is that $iena doesn't have an Athletic Program, they have Basketball and enough other teams to keep them in a conference.  UA has an extensive Athletic Program and Men's Basketball will turn the corner and be a winning proposition.

as the balance of athletic power shifts siena discovers unresolvable scheduling difficulties that prevent head-to-head meetings